Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Grey
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 727
Default Cowher

With all the Cowher bashing that's happening right now, I'd just like to post this.

I get really tired of hearing that Cowher can't win big games.

In 13 years as Steelers head coach, he has 8 Division Championships, has gotten to the AFC Championship 5 times, and been to one Super Bowl. That's a lot of success.

Seems to me that in the course of achieving all of that success, there were A LOT of big games won along the way. In the end, 31 teams are losers, and it's pretty tough to win it all, but we will, and Cowher will be there.

There's another big game this week. Cowher's team will be there, and they will win.

HERE WE GO.
Grey
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
SalukiSteelers
Starter

Location: Live in Carbondale, IL, USA, home of the SIU Salukis.
Member Number: 844
Default Re: Cowher

I agree that Cowher takes a lot of heat when the Steelers lose. That's part of the job and it goes with the territory of fielding a competitive team almost every season. But before we go throwing Cowher under the bus, I think it's important to remember that there are millions of fans who would love the opportunity for their teams to "choke" in the big game.

I've never been a Cowher hater though I have questioned some of his decisions. Sometimes it could be argued that he's too predictable. Other times one could say that he takes unnecessary chances. Usually those opinions come after a loss.

Look, the Steelers have the team they have and it appears that changes may be coming down the road. The Bus is running out of gas, the line is getting pushed around, and the passing game has looked, at times, anemic. I'm sure that some new personnel will be coming in the next few years and that could change the complexion of the team.

People may complain that the Steelers have focused on the run too much under Cowher. Fine, that's a valid argument but remember that any time the Steelers have had their greatest success under the coach they've been a run-first team. Remember the season the Steelers were pass happy? They lost to the Titans in the second round, didn't they?

Cowher came in to his job facing the impossible task of replacing a legend. He's taken that task and filled it with heart, class, and humility. Can he win it all? Hell yes! Give the man the team and it will happen. It takes a combination of personnel, game-planning, and luck to win. We came close last year with a really good team but remember that the Patriots have been on a great run. There's no shame in losing to the World Champs

We, as Steelers fans, are demanding -- and rightfully so. This is one of the premier franchises in the NFL and they do things the right way. They represent their city and their fan base admirably and Cowher is the face of the organization.

Usually I'm a win-at-all-costs kind of guy but I have to ask: Would fans like a coach like Barry Switzer to come in and win a title? How about some other carpet bagger? Be critical of our coach. It's your right as a fan, and in some cases it's dead on, but remember that Cowher is the guy who knows this team best. He knows their abilities and he knows where they have problems.

Who do you think wants to win "one for the thumb more?" The organization and Cowher, who have put in unknown hours and made numerous sacrifices to bring the city and the fans a ring? Or maybe it's the guys like us who sit around and watch the team, read the papers, and post long-winded responses like this in forums? I'm going to go with the Coach, the team, and the organization and when it happens we can look back on bad stretches like the on the team is in now and realize that it makes winning sweeter because everybody stuck together and believed in each other.

I root for the uniform first but it's good to remember that men fill those Black and Gold jerseys. It sounds sappy but so what. Who's not gonna cry when the Steelers win it all?
SalukiSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
Steel - X
Team Captain

Member Number: 583

Has he won a SuperBowl? Then he has not done enough.

My Fantasy Football Website......NO LIMIT SPORTS

Steel - X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
fergusonat
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 874

Awesome post, SalukiSteelers...I feel the same exact way. Cowher makes some dumb moves, but if I could choose any coach to be running out on the field victoriously when the Steelers do win the Super Bowl, I want it to be Cowher...just to make all those stupid mistakes worth it for him! I don't know about you guys, but if Cowher ever left the Steelers, I'd miss his hilarious expressions and fits of rage after each play...sometimes when the Steelers are losing badly, that's my only source of entertainment!

This past Monday, Cowher screwed the team pretty badly, yes. It's always easier to see his faults. But honestly, do you think the Steelers would have evolved the way it did if Cowher had not been leading?
fergusonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516

Cowher's philosophy can win regular season games, no doubt. However, his one-dimensional philosophy of "smashmouth" football and good defense keeps every team in the game and thus, keeps us from winning Super Bowls instead of division titles.
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
pitt
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 474

Sometimes the play calling drives me crazy, but over all I think the coach has done a good job.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #7
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
With all the Cowher bashing that's happening right now, I'd just like to post this.

I get really tired of hearing that Cowher can't win big games.

In 13 years as Steelers head coach, he has 8 Division Championships, has gotten to the AFC Championship 5 times, and been to one Super Bowl. That's a lot of success.

Seems to me that in the course of achieving all of that success, there were A LOT of big games won along the way. In the end, 31 teams are losers, and it's pretty tough to win it all, but we will, and Cowher will be there.

There's another big game this week. Cowher's team will be there, and they will win.

HERE WE GO.
Grey
seems like you are satisfied with absoulty nothing, yeah it's fine a few times to win divisions and then go to the promise land once but he has nothing to show for his great regular season record...........sure he can win big regular season games but what's his record in those five AFC championship games? and what's his record in that one superbowl? i'm tired of getting my hopes up year after year after year after year....... hopefully this is the year he can lift that monkey off his back, but he has to change, he is to damn predictable that's why teams don't seem to fear us in the playoffs
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #8
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Here's a list of current coaches who have won Super Bowl's:
Bellichick
Gruden
Billick
Vermeil
Shanahan
Holmgren
Gibbs
Parcells

Personally, I think Cowher is a better coach than Gruden, Billick, and Holmgren. That leaves 5 coaches who have won Super Bowls in the NFL. Vermeil is retiring, I think Parcells has lost his magic, the game may have passed Gibbs by, and Shanahan and Bellichick aren't going anywhere. I also think when you talk about how the Rooney's want to approach the game, only Gibbs, Bellichick and Holmgren could ever fit their system, and, again, the Gibbs experiment may be a failure, and Cowher is a better coach than Holmgren (Put Favre on our 95-2004 teams and I bet we win at least 2, if not more, Lombardy trophies)

My favorite question, as always, for Cowher bashers is, who do we replace him with?

It's too easy to blame the coach. When we took almost the exact same team that was 6-10 in 2003 and went 15-1 with it in 2004, who do you think deserves most of the credit for that? The fact of the matter is, Cowher consistently OVERACHIEVES with the talent he has.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #9
Tim
Starter

Member Number: 661

I'm generally a Cowher supporter, but it seems like lately I know every play before it happens. Unless we're running some gag play, like a Bettis option pass, we do the same stuff over and over. Our running plays are worthless when opponents jam 8 guys on the line. Our pass plays are tentative and seem telegraphed. We haven't moved Ben out of the pocket much, so when he's out he's usually scrambling.

Sure, it's up to the players to execute and "beat" the other team. But when everyone knows that with Haynes standing to the right of whoever is QB, that it's going to be a draw 99.9% of the time, or that when Bettis is in the game, 99.9% of the time, it's an off-tackle run or straight up the gut, how in the world can you execute well enough to succeed?

Cowher needs to start changing things up or at 48 years old, we're going to be talking about how the game has passed him by. And that's sad seeing as how ol' JoePa is nearly 80 and has proven this year that he still can make the necessary changes required to win big games.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #10
SalukiSteelers
Starter

Location: Live in Carbondale, IL, USA, home of the SIU Salukis.
Member Number: 844

My last post was pretty sappy, and yes it sucks to finish second, third, or fourth all the time, but shouldn't players be expected to make plays? Bellichik, a man viewed by many to be a coaching genius, was a moron in Cleveland because his players sucked.

Now before you think I'm saying that the Steeers players suck compose your self. No way I'm not saying that but I am saying that I don't know how many Steelers have had all that great of seasons, so far.

Polamalu has played well this season, Ward has given his typical solid effort, and...um, well...who else has given a great effort? Okay, Miller is having a good rookie season.

Sure, coaching plays a part in it, no denying that, but who besides those guys has made people step up and take note? Surely not the backs or the line and that's the Steelers identity.

Yeah, it'd be great if Pittsburgh could find a way to make their offense more explosive but who provides the dynamite? Willie Parker? Randle El? I don't really think so.

Hey, if the Steelers start sliding for a couple seasons then maybe the organization looks at the coach and decides that there is somebody out there who could make the difference. I gotta go with Suit on this one.

One thing that does piss me off about Cowher, though, is that I thought he was a special teams guy in Cleveland and it makes me wonder why Pittsburgh's ST constantly hurt the team.
SalukiSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote