Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-01-2005, 07:10 PM   #21
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604
Default Re: Cowher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Well, Ambridge is upset, and he has every right to be...to be honest, this topic won't, and can't ever be put to rest until Cowher wins a Super Bowl.

I staked my claim. He has a QB who can play in the NFL now. Give him 2 more years and we'll see.

John, '01 pissed me off, too, but Kordell was what he had to work with...winging INT's into the endzone is okay if you are a rookie, but Kordell wasn't. Give Ben a year or two.
I know.....I know!
The only thing that worries me is that Cowher tries to stifle Ben's abilities with too much of the run first-run always mentality.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:12 PM   #22
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Seems to many people read that "Cold Hard Facts" nonsense and bought into it. The fact that Cowher plays his style of football, come Hell or high water is what will win him championships, not what has lost them. Look at our losses in playoffs and the Super Bowl. Look at the scores. Look at the Turnover's. Eliminate errors, and this team win's a couple Super Bowl's along the way. But we, as Steelers fans, expect perfection, and we shouldn't, not when we don't have great players playing like we used to.

Agian, I say the opposite of what most people are saying. Instead of bashing Cowher for losing big games, I say commend him for even making it there with limited talent. You can cover up lack of talent even as high as College football by good coaching, but you can't in the NFL.

He has the talent now. Hell, we just started playing the salary cap game that the 49ers did in the 80's (When they won their SB's) and and the Cowboys did in the 90's (When they won a couple of theirs). Couple more years.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:14 PM   #23
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Well then maybe those who are no longer satisfied with Bill and his performance should start a FireBillCowher.com website.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:17 PM   #24
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

You mean like this one?

http://www.petitiononline.com/BillCowh/petition.html
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:18 PM   #25
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge
I know.....I know!
The only thing that worries me is that Cowher tries to stifle Ben's abilities with too much of the run first-run always mentality.
This has been going on for how long now, we should be used to it. But we're not and it pisses me off. I know Ben needs a solid running game and we as a team need that..but also need to have a QB who has some experience at airing it out putting this team on his shoulders and carrying us to a victory when the running game sputters.. and BC relies so much on the running game that when if fails , its oh shit lets hurry up and try and throw the ball all the time. You can just pull that out of your ass, you have to be proficient at both, and Ben can easily do it..the guy is awesome, but he is reigned in.

Im not saying BC will not win us a championship, Im pray every year that he does..but every time we get so close we fold up on offense. Not defense, but Offense. And coming froma defensive minded coach, this shouldnt be a surprise but the way that Bill keeps the offense so in control its drives me nuts.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:04 PM   #26
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,199 Times in 3,492 Posts

afc vs. sandiego- odonnel throws incomplete to foster in the end zone
afc vs. denver- kordell throws 3 int. one into the endzone on 2nd and one when bettis drove the steelers down the field
afc vs patriots- kordell throws another 3 int in what was a close game
sb vs dallas- odonnel throws 2 untimely int when the steelers are effectively moving the ball.

its not cowhers stubborness of sticking with the running game that has caused these to happen. actually its the opposite. trying to open it up with the passing game. granted in 2001 jerome was hurt and there pretty much no running game.

maybe some of THOSE games couldve been won if cowher just STUCK with the running game.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:39 PM   #27
StillerPaul
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
With all the Cowher bashing that's happening right now, I'd just like to post this.

I get really tired of hearing that Cowher can't win big games.

In 13 years as Steelers head coach, he has 8 Division Championships, has gotten to the AFC Championship 5 times, and been to one Super Bowl. That's a lot of success.

Seems to me that in the course of achieving all of that success, there were A LOT of big games won along the way. In the end, 31 teams are losers, and it's pretty tough to win it all, but we will, and Cowher will be there.

There's another big game this week. Cowher's team will be there, and they will win.

HERE WE GO.
Grey
Excellent post! I think alot of us get frustrated and vent at times. I know thats the case with me. I'm gettin' myself geared up for the bungles as well!

HERE WE GO STEELERS!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:40 PM   #28
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Now we have Ben, and he has all the tools. No excuses. We need to win Super Bowls in the immediate future...
Sure Ben has the tools, but will he get a chance to develop them? I'm not into pretending through the regular season with wins over crappy teams and then finding out in the postseason, usually the championship game under Cowher, that we are still a one-dimensional offense.
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:14 AM   #29
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Can someone name a coach that they would like to see replace Cowher....
I cant think of any right now...
I think cowher fits in good with our system and the players respect him
Old 12-02-2005, 12:17 AM   #30
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Belicheck is a defensive genious, there is no doubt..he fashions that defense every week to best attack the offense w/ schemes and designs. Lebeau does the same thing.. No problems there..

But belicheck was open to his offensive coaches game plan and ideas and didnt stick just 1 way to win. Just because we actually game plan for a team doesnt mean we lose our identity. Just once I really wanna see something designed to go after a teams weakness or atleast their weakest link. It seems to never happen and the offense is never prepared for the strong run in the post season. to me that comes back on the coaches.

I know things happen w/ players, but comon, EVERY time.

Ive always been a BC supporter in a big way, but maybe Im just tired of the same old result in the postseason and not getting over the hump.

We have alot to be thankful for as Steeler fans, ALOT of success over the last 13 years, ALOT. More than most.. but sooner or later we just gotta get over this hump, dont we ??
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote