Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Member Number: 9337
Default Re: Religulous

I saw it last night with 2 friends. One grew up Mennonite, the other Baptist and me - an Athiest but when I was young, my dad made it a point to take us to every church, synagogue, mosque, chapel, cathedral, stadiums filled with chanting, stupa, you name it.

The way I see this movie is educational - a 2 hour way of getting a little religious perspective. Of course there are other ways of doing it but I thought it was hilarious. I thought at least one of my friends' would be offended but right when the movie began, it became clear to me that Maher was even poking fun at himself. I've always thought Maher was snarky and smug too but for some reason (in my opinion) his personality works in this context.
I went to Catholic School, I describe myself as Atheist to suit other people's need for a label. I like to say non-religious but that doesn't really work either.
I know most people won't see it on principle and I can understand not wanting to be offended but if you have even an inkling of interest - it's worth the watch.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
It's not right for me. I'm atheist, but I take no joy in poking at anyone.
same here. and hey, I enjoy some religion fun at times , but his is just not my style
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Won't be seeing it - can't stand Bill Maher.
Ditto - He's a waste of skin IMO. I wish Ted Nugent would have strangled him when he had the chance.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

The promos and his talk show tour indicate that he's ridiculing people of faith. It's one thing to poke fun but he's a condescending, self-righteous douche. Basically a fundie athiest.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #15
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
It's not right for me. I'm atheist, but I take no joy in poking at anyone.
You have to wonder about the mentality behind anyone who finds humor in denegrating someones religious beliefs.

Bill Maher and Keith Olbermann are two of a kind....noone finds them as funny as ....well...they do.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #16
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Hate Maher, but will see it. His premise is sound, but I want to see how far his personal anti-Catholic vendetta takes him off-task.

ALL religions deserve to be held accountable, but I know without even seeing this film that he'll spend 70% of his time ripping Catholicism. The Catholic Church has done some awful, awful, awful things, but almost every other faith is just as culpable of perpetrating great evils on humanity in Gods name...I just wish he'd use this platform to call them all out equally, instead of being a petty jackass.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Hate Maher, but will see it. His premise is sound, but I want to see how far his personal anti-Catholic vendetta takes him off-task.

ALL religions deserve to be held accountable, but I know without even seeing this film that he'll spend 70% of his time ripping Catholicism. The Catholic Church has done some awful, awful, awful things, but almost every other faith is just as culpable of perpetrating great evils on humanity in Gods name...I just wish he'd use this platform to call them all out equally, instead of being a petty jackass.
I agree... though athiesm is just as culpable... 20 million serfs in Russia, cleansing of "undesirables" in both U.S.S.R. and China...

in the end, any and every system becomes a refuge for those who wish to abuse it to personal gains.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #18
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

There is no doubt to me God exists. Many things have happened in my life that go beyond scientific, or rational explination.

I detest BM I'll never see his movie or any other show he's in for that matter.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #19
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I'm not an atheist. I believe in God...but a much more accepting and merciful God than many here...

Atheists are fine...as long as they just STFU about it already! They make the Jehovah Witnesses seem taciturn in comparison...
Old 10-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #20
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

This , of course, is the same Bill Maher who called our Military "cowardly"...and our soldiers "illiterate low-lying fruit"

He also argued with a guest who called the terrorists who flew into the Twin Towers cowards...saying "We have been the cowards.... lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. Now That's cowardly."

Maher was also one of the notable idiots who questioned whether or not Palin's Down syndrome infant is actually Bristol's first child.

So ...yea..I wish all of you wouldnt see the movie and put money into the pockets of this a-hole....but to each his own.

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 10-04-2008 at 07:34 PM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote