Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #21
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Religulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I'm not an atheist. I believe in God...but a much more accepting and merciful God than many here...

Atheists are fine...as long as they just STFU about it already! They make the Jehovah Witnesses seem taciturn in comparison...

Their called evangelical atheists.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #22
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
This , of course, is the same Bill Maher who called our Military "cowardly"...and our soldiers "illiterate low-lying fruit"

He also argued with a guest who called the terrorists who flew into the Twin Towers cowards...saying "We have been the cowards.... lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. Now That's cowardly."

So ...yea..I wish all of you wouldnt see the movie and put money into the pockets of this a-hole....but to each his own.
It'll be a $5 weekday matinee for me...and I'll take far more than that $5 out of Maher's ass by ripping him up here and elsewhere. He's a smug and unfunny pompous jackass...but he recruited Borat's director, and, as I said before, this IS a solid premise. I just hope it's more Mel Brooks and less Michael Moore, more good natured and even-handed than hateful and spiteful.

I'm sick to my eye-teeth with all the knee-jerk straight up polictical hate posts and commentary.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #23
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Their called evangelical atheists.
That's not what I call them...
Old 10-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #24
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
I agree... though athiesm is just as culpable... 20 million serfs in Russia, cleansing of "undesirables" in both U.S.S.R. and China...

in the end, any and every system becomes a refuge for those who wish to abuse it to personal gains.

I'm going to respectfully disagree, only quoting you but including rev's prior post.

PEOPLE have done some awful things. They have used religion and atheism as tools to do them.

Now, that isn't as much a free pass for religion as someone might think; because if religion was truly good, then how could it be usurped so?

But by the same token, it robs atheism of the argument that religion is the cause of those evils... because in the absence of religion, the evil still existed.

Rev, the only reason that most of the evils of Christianity were perpetrated by Catholicism is that Catholicism had a 1500 year head start. Give the Protestants some time, they'll catch up.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #25
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
.... if religion was truly good, then how could it be usurped so?
please clarify...usurped by whom?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #26
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
I'm going to respectfully disagree, only quoting you but including rev's prior post.

PEOPLE have done some awful things. They have used religion and atheism as tools to do them.

Now, that isn't as much a free pass for religion as someone might think; because if religion was truly good, then how could it be usurped so?

But by the same token, it robs atheism of the argument that religion is the cause of those evils... because in the absence of religion, the evil still existed.

Rev, the only reason that most of the evils of Christianity were perpetrated by Catholicism is that Catholicism had a 1500 year head start. Give the Protestants some time, they'll catch up.
Atheism as a religion is just as awful. People killing other people over ridiculous unknowns...it's retarded. At least animals have a reason that makes sense...
Old 10-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #27
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:

Mosca...

I understand what you are saying... however, there is one common element between all the religions, and that is humanity. The wretchedness of some humans should not be used as an a priori argument against religion.

Furthermore, athiesm should not get a pass either, but should be treated just as another system of thought.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #28
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Atheists are humans, too, Preacher. Look at me. I'm not wearing horns.

And that was my point; that humans use religion. In the absence of religion, they will use something else. Usurped by humans doing evil, LLT.

I'm not going to retread the subject of belief versus non-belief. I've stated my position, you believers have stated yours, and it's done. May we all live in peace.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #29
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Atheists are humans, too, Preacher. Look at me. I'm not wearing horns.

And that was my point; that humans use religion. In the absence of religion, they will use something else. Usurped by humans doing evil, LLT.

I'm not going to retread the subject of belief versus non-belief. I've stated my position, you believers have stated yours, and it's done. May we all live in peace.
Mosca....

actually, I think we are saying the same thing...

That regardless of what we believe, there will be those that bastardize it for their own agenda and the furtherance of their own goals.

If that was what you were saying... then we are on the exact same page.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #30
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Member Number: 9337

Quote:
Furthermore, athiesm should not get a pass either, but should be treated just as another system of thought.

Preacher - you clearly know much more about religion than I do but when I say I'm atheist it's only because I don't know how else to describe myself (on the subject of religion, higher power, God, etc) other than simply human. Because to me, it seems (and please remember this is just my point of view) that it would be like making a label for someone who doesn't like peanut butter. There is no label to describe that person.

I'm not looking for a pass at all. But if I'm not involved, i.e. I-have-no-religious-dogma - I don't see where I fit in to a "system of thought." I guess you could say I believe in science and things that I see and make sense rationally. So, that is a system of thought. Hmm. I'm figuring this out as I go.

I'm not anti-religion. I understand why people have faith in things that aren't scientifically proven. The problem I have is with the judgement and righteousness that can entail it. If someone thinks that I'm going to that awful hot place when I die, I don't care - but when people are persecuted for it, that's another story. And I have to admit, it pisses me off on the rare occasion someone has decided to infer that to my face (Potter's House anyone?)

Of course I know that there are many other motivations besides religious differences that cause war, strife and persecution but I'm talking about religion here because that's the one that concerns me right now - it seems like we are looking at a man-made end times scenario. The whole "with us or against us" mantra of our current administration, the war torn middle east and terrorism - it is without a doubt religiously driven(although I have a feeling someone is going to vehemently disagree with me).

I don't really know where I'm going with this but I feel that when it comes to religion, I don't want to be labeled. Maybe I'm wrong and need to be labeled because I'm involved in a conversation about it. Tell me.