Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-01-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Polian Visits Competition Commitee

I hear Indianaplis Colts GM Polian has visited the competition commitee recently to petition them to allow Dome teams whose name starts with 'I' to be allowed to pipe in fake crowd noise.

Other rules that may be applicable to 'Dome teams whose name begins with I' include :

Extra time on offense to make the playcall - with all that dancing and waving certain 'un-named QB's' are having trouble getting his/hers plays off on time, despite the extra 2 second buffer that are allowed on plays that are deemed to be 'crucial to the chances of a Dome teams victory'.

Special 'Get out of Jail Free' flags - to be thrown in the event of a referee trying to apply any sort of holding penalties against the Dome teams O-Line.

A de-emphasis of the 5yard DB contact rule - One unnamed Dome team now say that, due to the fact that they have DB's who are capable of not only following the flight of a football but also tackling, they feel they are being handicapped by the previous ruling and would like it de-empasised.

Upon leaving the meeting - Polian was quoted as saying " I dont see any conflict of interest at all in the fact that we happen to be a dome team whose name begins with I - these proposed rule changes will be applicable to ALL TEAMS who satisfy the 'franchise description'.

Polian went on to say " These are probably the same nit-pickers who suggested that the only reason we have had a re-emphasis this year on the 5yard rule is because we have a bunch of talented WR's who just happen to dislike any sort of contact - when did the world become so cynical?"

If anyone else can 'remember' anymore of these rules for 'Dome teams whose name begins with I' ....feel free to add them.....

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 12-01-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Polian Visits Competition Commitee

The mysterious "illegal hands to face" calls that seem to go unoticed by the dbacks and dlineman on virtually every play. Last time I checked, the rest of league got those little yellow bean bag thingies for that type of play...but add that to the list of Dome teams that start w/ I for new rule changes !
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Youch! That's pretty harsh...

Then again, Peyton Manning is the highest paid player in NFL history...in fact, his contract is worth about 19 million more than an NFL teams yearly payroll...his signing bonus alone
was almost half of an NFL team's yearly salary.

I'd overlook a few holds here and there and everywhere if THE star might be touched by an opposing player.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

yes we cant have the NFL's poster child actually get his jersey dirty cuz God knows when the Pats did it to him that just wasnt proper !! No more of that !!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

In fact, now that I think about it, with this kind of money on the line, can the NFL afford NOT to give the Colts the title this year? The Colts certainly will not be able to afford Manning and Edge and Harrison and Wayne and etc, etc...

And now that their defense is overrated, their D players will all be looking for big paydays so they can all go on to be mediocre on other teams that don't have as good an offense to cover up for the D.

Giving Manning a 34.5 mil signing bonus means that they can keep this team intact for exactly one year...THIS year! Then all the money starts to hit the cap and they are screwed.

GOTTA GO....AKRON IS ON ESPN!

Fear the ROO!
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,677 Times in 2,624 Posts

Deal with it - the NFL is about TV ratings and TV ratings are about stars and star teams.

For all of us who are having trouble with all the love for lead footed Peyton now (a QB who is great until he is rushed, consistently lost to Steve Spurrier & Florida in college and has never won an AFC championship, let alone a Super Bowl), prepare to leave the country if Peyton and his brat brother Eli (who did not believe San Diego was worthy of his talents and plays in the media capital of the world) make it to the Super Bowl this year.

I am an member of the ABC club (Anybody But Colts)
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,076 Times in 2,615 Posts

even the patriots? yuck! or denver? or in a really bad year the ravens again????????
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:26 PM   #8
SalukiSteelers
Starter

Location: Live in Carbondale, IL, USA, home of the SIU Salukis.
Member Number: 844

Who gives a rip about the Colts. They can employ whatever tactics they deem necessary to win regular season games. Lets see what happens in the playoffs. If they were piping in noise the NFL will stop that garbage now. Besides, how many SB appearances do all the Mannings have combined? The same as me.
SalukiSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:39 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,677 Times in 2,624 Posts

I am talking about rooting for potential playoff teams this year - yeah I will root for the Bengals/KC/Chargers/Broncos/Jax or Patriots (and Steelers of course) in the playoffs against the Colts. I have no problem with the Patriots - they win by beating you straight up and don't ***** about changing the rules (like the Colts) when they lose.

The NFL is dying to get an undefeated team and has been hyping Golden Boy since he came into the league after his over-hyped collge career (I remember a SI cover "So Good, So Soon" of Mr. Wonderful the year they choked at home to the Titans in the playoffs in the late '90s). Watching the pantomimes at the line of scrimmage and those MasterCard ads only makes him more unbearable to me.

When I read the P-G about the amplified crowd noise that tipped it for me that this is a horse crap organization that is full of itself.

The only NFC team I will have trouble supporting against the Colts is the Giants because of li'l brother Eli, with his own brand of give me whatever I want I'm a Manning! arrogance, and the media hype that attaches to any NY team.

The only sweet parts of this at the moment are: 1) the anxiety of the Colts fans that if they do not make it now they probably will never make it, which diminishes their ability to enjoty the ride; and 2) that the Colts have so much invested in their stars that the onrushing salary cap crash for a small market team is approaching ever faster.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote