Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-06-2008, 02:47 AM   #1
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default I've become really sick of the No Fun League

this is a rant.. but after the game tonight, it made me realize how stupid all these rules have become. games are getting decided because of guys running their mouths or feeding their egos, rather than making plays on the field. the experiment of banning celebrations and all that other stuff should just end already. football is a game and ENTERTAINMENT. let the players celebrate a touchdown, dance, dance with teammates, whatever they do.. banning props such as cell phones, signs, or anything else is fine. flagrantly taunting the other team should also be penalized. the rest of it is ridiculous.. spike the ball and get a penalty? c'mon.. there is no consistency with the calls..

just tonight, nate washington waved at the defender as he was going into the end zone.. i thought for sure he was going to be penalized just like reggie bush did a couple weeks ago when he waved to a defender while entering the end zone. i am obviously glad that they didnt call it on nate, but it still leads to inconsistency and gives refs the ability to call these kinds of penalties whenever they feel like it.. if they dont like a player or they are in a bad move, they can throw the flag.. if they dont throw the flag, then it just gets brushed off and never mentioned.

the taunting call that did get called on nate tonight was a joke as well.. i dont think he even said anything other than smile and show the sidelines the football. these are grown men, if they cant handle a 180 lb WR showing off his football after making a catch, then they shouldnt be playing football in the NFL.

just last week harrison and woodley were almost flagged for both jumping into the stands after a td.. how stupid was that? the ref actually did throw the flag, but called it back when he determined harrison didnt actually enter the stands.. the mere thought of the refs looking out for a penalty to call like that is a joke in itself.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:53 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: I've become really sick of the No Fun League

Not sure I can disagree with anyone more....

This is football, not professional wrestling. Fact is, I am very satisfied with the crackdown on idiots running thier mouths after the play.

You wanna run it between the whistles? Fine. But enough is enough.

Sorry, but sharpies and line-dancing in the endzone don't belong in football.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

The problem with taunting is that it turns into fighting. With all the talk about how today's players are bigger, faster, stronger, and quicker, not much is said about how much more EMOTIONALLY intense players are today than they were in the past. Even low key guys like Polamalu have trouble controlling their intensity (witness Troy's problems with late hits for most of his career).

Years ago, it was only guys like Lambert and Tatum who were maniacs; now it seems like everyone is on a razor's edge. What the league is doing is right.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The gold standard is still Barry Sanders. Dude never said a word to anyone, just played his game.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Not sure I can disagree with anyone more....

This is football, not professional wrestling. Fact is, I am very satisfied with the crackdown on idiots running thier mouths after the play.

You wanna run it between the whistles? Fine. But enough is enough.

Sorry, but sharpies and line-dancing in the endzone don't belong in football.
IBID Preach

I am all for self control and I do not think it is FUN. Washinton could have been flagged and hopefully he will be told about it.

I know that these guys are young men but they are professionals and I believe they should act like it. You can grow up in the NFL like Joe Greene did or you can be like T.O. and go play for Jerry Jones Or Chad Johnson and play for the the Bungles & do whatever you please.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

there is too much inconsistency in the calls for these rules, the way they are now, to be good for the league. i hate chad johnson and his stupid gimmick celebrations as much as anyone one on here.. but there is just too much inconsistency between officials that can effect the outcome of the game.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

If Hines Ward and Ed Reed want to talk some smack during the game, I have no problem with that. Football is an emotional game, and that sort of smack talk has been going on before the ESPN generation came along. I don't even mind end zone celebrations provided that they are celebrating with their teammates or the fans. But I draw the line at anything that shows up the other team or is nothing but an attention-wh0ring gimmick, like TO and Ocho Stinko do. The NFL is right to crack down on that sort of nonsense.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
this is a rant.. but after the game tonight, it made me realize how stupid all these rules have become. games are getting decided because of guys running their mouths or feeding their egos, rather than making plays on the field. the experiment of banning celebrations and all that other stuff should just end already. football is a game and ENTERTAINMENT. let the players celebrate a touchdown, dance, dance with teammates, whatever they do.. banning props such as cell phones, signs, or anything else is fine. flagrantly taunting the other team should also be penalized. the rest of it is ridiculous.. spike the ball and get a penalty? c'mon.. there is no consistency with the calls..
I'm sorry to bring politics into this jjpro, but this is the same thing as government solutions and social engineering. All these rules are being implemented ostensibly to make things fairer and better for all, and the result is quite often the exact opposite of the stated intent. Nothing like trying to over legislate civility and manners into an inherently brutal game. Especially how a refs subjective interpretation of taunting can directly affect who gets the win after 60 minutes of hard played football. I agree there needs to be rules, especially for protection, but some of this is getting ridiculous imo.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

I'm under the opinion that if you don't want one of those idiots celebrating in the end zone then stop them from scoring.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
If Hines Ward and Ed Reed want to talk some smack during the game, I have no problem with that. Football is an emotional game, and that sort of smack talk has been going on before the ESPN generation came along. I don't even mind end zone celebrations provided that they are celebrating with their teammates or the fans. But I draw the line at anything that shows up the other team or is nothing but an attention-wh0ring gimmick, like TO and Ocho Stinko do. The NFL is right to crack down on that sort of nonsense.
I think we are pretty close on the continuum here X-term.

I don't want to take away the "Lambeau Leap" I think it is a great thing for the fans actually.

I like how you say it. Showingup the other team, or drawing attention to yourself like Ocho and TO.

Question is, how do you put that into a regulation?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote