Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default Ben Going Down The Steve McNair Road?

I am among those who have questioned Ben's exaggeration of injuries in the past - but after last night I will enjoy Ben toughing it out as long as he is able to do so and quit claiming he can be a diva.

That having been said, Ben cannot continue to take hits at the current rate. While the current benefit of big plays outweighs the current cost of sacks, the long term cost of repeated hits is going to shorten Ben's career.

The closest analogy I can come up with is Steve McNair - Ben is a better passer than McNair, but Ben has McNair's grit in taking a hit and staying in the game despite being hurt. Unfortunately, McNair was pretty much beaten up and on the decline after about 6 years as a starter - if current trends continue Ben will never last the length of his contract.

Not intended to be a sky is falling claim, just an observation that Ben is going to need to somehow modify his style of trying to keep every play alive (not all the hits are due to the OL) or be on the decline due to wear & tear sooner rather than later.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713
Default Re: Ben Going Down The Steve McNair Road?

Im guessing and hoping the offensive line will improve over the seasons and Ben won't get beat up as much.

Mcnair had a successful seasons, but injury did ruin him, and im guessing this great franchise will do there best to keep him upright.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
MrHarrison92
Water Boy

Member Number: 9592

Some of the hits he took last night he had to take just to get the throw off. But your right he can't take unnecessary hits. That offensive line needs a lot of work.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I am among those who have questioned Ben's exaggeration of injuries in the past - but after last night I will enjoy Ben toughing it out as long as he is able to do so and quit claiming he can be a diva.

That having been said, Ben cannot continue to take hits at the current rate. While the current benefit of big plays outweighs the current cost of sacks, the long term cost of repeated hits is going to shorten Ben's career.

The closest analogy I can come up with is Steve McNair - Ben is a better passer than McNair, but Ben has McNair's grit in taking a hit and staying in the game despite being hurt. Unfortunately, McNair was pretty much beaten up and on the decline after about 6 years as a starter - if current trends continue Ben will never last the length of his contract.

Not intended to be a sky is falling claim, just an observation that Ben is going to need to somehow modify his style of trying to keep every play alive (not all the hits are due to the OL) or be on the decline due to wear & tear sooner rather than later.
It is a legitimate concern, AD, but I don't see Ben altering his style too much. He's a gambler and a gunslinger, and he will always look for the big play if he can get it. Improving the OL will go a long way toward keeping him upright so that he doesn't take as many sacks, and he'll start getting rid of the ball quicker as his career goes on, but his mentality will not change. He has Steve Young's elusiveness, Steve McNair's toughness and John Elway's gunslinger mentality all rolled into one. So like you, I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching him, and hope that the FO finally addresses the OL problem in order to extend his career and we can enjoy watching him play at a high level for many more seasons.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Tim
Starter

Member Number: 661

Yeah, that's definitely a concern. The way he was holding his arm there at the end last night I thought there was no way he was throwing the ball, but there he went throwing on consecutive downs, the last being the TD pass.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Makes you wonder how good Ben might be behind an OL like the Cowboys, not to mention how Romo might look behind the Steelers OL.

If I hear one more idiot analyst talk about how great Romo is I'm going to puke.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

AD....

good call.

I haven't done this, but a look at John Elways hits, sacks, and career numbers might be in order, as he is the closest representitive of what Ben does.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
missedgehead
Starter

Member Number: 8622

Well, I have the same concern that AD has. I feel, even though it is great to see him making those great plays and such, that he has to alter his playing style. He can not continue to take all those hits. He still at times, holds the ball too long and depends a bit too much on his mobility. I am scared that he is going to suffer an injury one of these days to his knees ala Culpepper and lose that mobility and become a very bad QB fast.

Credit: Spongebobglav for both avatar and signature
missedgehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
It is a legitimate concern, AD, but I don't see Ben altering his style too much. He's a gambler and a gunslinger, and he will always look for the big play if he can get it. Improving the OL will go a long way toward keeping him upright so that he doesn't take as many sacks, and he'll start getting rid of the ball quicker as his career goes on, but his mentality will not change. He has Steve Young's elusiveness, Steve McNair's toughness and John Elway's gunslinger mentality all rolled into one. So like you, I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching him, and hope that the FO finally addresses the OL problem in order to extend his career and we can enjoy watching him play at a high level for many more seasons.
Great post and I agree wholeheartedly with you here. Ben is as tough and gritty as they come, like McNair, and I hope the FO values their million dollar man as much as we fans (and the team) does by getting him an OL that will protect him sooner rather than later.

Good topic, AD!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Ben does hold on to the ball to long. But at times "to long" is three steps into his dropback.

It's not 100% the line and not 100% Big Ben...it's a big combination of both,

The line makes "to long" a very short time, very often. In which it doesn't let screens or hot routes develop.

However, if Ben throws the ball alway as often as people want him to, we go 3-and-out a whole lot more and we're probally 2-3 right now isntead of 4-1.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote