Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Member Number: 9337
Default Who you callin' a Maverick?

Here's a funny/ironic article from the NY Times a couple days ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/we...o_interstitial

Who You Callin’ a Maverick?

By JOHN SCHWARTZ
Published: October 4, 2008
There’s that word again: maverick. In Thursday’s vice-presidential debate, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska, the Republican candidate, used it to describe herself and her running mate, Senator John McCain, no fewer than six times, at one point calling him “the consummate maverick.”
But to those who know the history of the word, applying it to Mr. McCain is a bit of a stretch — and to one Texas family in particular it is even a bit offensive.

“I’m just enraged that McCain calls himself a maverick,” said Terrellita Maverick, 82, a San Antonio native who proudly carries the name of a family that has been known for its progressive politics since the 1600s, when an early ancestor in Boston got into trouble with the law over his agitation for the rights of indentured servants.

In the 1800s, Samuel Augustus Maverick went to Texas and became known for not branding his cattle. He was more interested in keeping track of the land he owned than the livestock on it, Ms. Maverick said; unbranded cattle, then, were called “Maverick’s.” The name came to mean anyone who didn’t bear another’s brand.

Sam Maverick’s grandson, Fontaine Maury Maverick, was a two-term congressman and a mayor of San Antonio who lost his mayoral re-election bid when conservatives labeled him a Communist. He served in the Roosevelt administration on the Smaller War Plants Corporation and is best known for another coinage. He came up with the term “gobbledygook” in frustration at the convoluted language of bureaucrats.

This Maverick’s son, Maury Jr., was a firebrand civil libertarian and lawyer who defended draft resisters, atheists and others scorned by society. He served in the Texas Legislature during the McCarthy era and wrote fiery columns for The San Antonio Express-News. His final column, published on Feb. 2, 2003, just after he died at 82, was an attack on the coming war in Iraq.

Terrellita Maverick, sister of Maury Jr., is a member emeritus of the board of the San Antonio chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas.

Considering the family’s long history of association with liberalism and progressive ideals, it should come as no surprise that Ms. Maverick insists that John McCain, who has voted so often with his party, “is in no way a maverick, in uppercase or lowercase.”

“It’s just incredible — the nerve! — to suggest that he’s not part of that Republican herd. Every time we hear it, all my children and I and all my family shrink a little and say, ‘Oh, my God, he said it again.’ ”

“He’s a Republican,” she said. “He’s branded.”
Old 10-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,967 Posts
My Mood: Sick
Default Re: Who you callin' a Maverick?

But when he was younger he would get out of the corral on occasion. In his age he gets stuck in the Bushes.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
But when he was younger he would get out of the corral on occasion. In his age he gets stuck in the Bushes.
funny, who would have thought McCain would be using the name of a prominent progressive, liberal family from Texas. And that's an oxymoron in it's own right.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,372 Posts

I wonder how the Hussein's feel about their name being used. Ohh wait their all dead.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

That's a very good point...probably not the most brilliant idea to start hearkening back to the origin of names in this election...
Old 10-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post

I wonder how the Hussein's feel about their name being used. Ohh wait their all dead.

it's almost funny how white people can't even tell when they're being racist. Almost.
Ordinarily I don't point out spelling errors on the internet but as long as you're being ignorant, your their is spelled they're.
If the coin was flipped and Obama started calling himself a Maverick and the original Mavericks were actually a conservative family from Texas, I would concede and say yeah, he sure got told, that's ironic. I wouldn't post a picture of McCain in a Klan kostume.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,967 Posts
My Mood: Sick

It also should be pointed out that the Ford Maverick was a p.o.s.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverhard View Post
it's almost funny how white people can't even tell when they're being racist. Almost.
Ordinarily I don't point out spelling errors on the internet but as long as you're being ignorant, your their is spelled they're.
If the coin was flipped and Obama started calling himself a Maverick and the original Mavericks were actually a conservative family from Texas, I would concede and say yeah, he sure got told, that's ironic. I wouldn't post a picture of McCain in a Klan kostume.
Sorry to disappoint but I'm not a racist. I believe he is hiding the truth. To many slip ups for me to let it slide by. He is lying about it and I don't trust the guy.IMO Personally I couldn't give a rats ass what faith people are, just don't lie about it.
As far as the pic I don't see anyone holding a gun to his head making him pose for it. If you find a picture with McCain in a klan costume with a big ass smile on his face please do post it, it would change my mind about him. Oh by the way while your checking spelling its costume not kostume.
I find it a little racist myself for you to ass-u-me that I'm white right off the bat. Or does the ball not bounce that way?

Spell check please.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 10-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint but I'm not a racist.
Oh, ok.

Quote:
Personally I couldn't give a rats ass what faith people are, just don't lie about it.
I'll point out the irony of your second statement with your first statement but that's all I'm gonna do.
Obama is a Christian. You have a picture of Obama visiting with foreign dignitaries dressed in traditional garb. I have some pictures too.

Quote:
As far as the pic I don't see anyone holding a gun to his head making him pose for it.
No guns on anyone in any of these pictures either. Although Bush looks like he's having a hard time keeping a straight face.

Quote:
If you find a picture with McCain in a klan costume with a big ass smile on his face please do post it, it would change my mind about him.
I don't have to do that to prove a point. The original maverick, McCain voted against Martin Luther King day as a federal holiday in his state. Me not finishing the end of that story is my response to your continual use of Obama's middle name to try and tie him to Sadaam Hussein (an association so loose it belongs in a brothel) and your post of Obama in traditional garb, which by now may ring a bell as something politicians do and have done for a long time.

Quote:
Oh by the way while your checking spelling its costume not kostume.

Quote:
I find it a little racist myself for you to ass-u-me that I'm white right off the bat. Or does the ball not bounce that way?
No, not right off the bat. It took me a few days. That's not racist, that's a skill I've acquired over the years.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

You know I really don't care what you think about me. I think Hussein is hiding the truth and I don't trust him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverhard View Post
No, not right off the bat. It took me a few days. That's not racist, that's a skill I've acquired over the years.
If I were to say something like that you'd label me a racist, wait you already did. But for you, you've fine tuned it into a skill.
See the ball doesn't bounce both ways.

Now I'm done with this conservation as it is going no where.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ