Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Ben Roethlisberger ... He's got it.

Quote:
Ben Roethlisberger ... He's got it.

His teammates tried to describe their quarterback after Ben Roethlisberger won another AFC player of the week award yesterday, three days after his extravaganza in Jacksonville.

"The kid, he's just a winner," said Hines Ward, who caught the touchdown pass from Roethlisberger with 1:53 left that gave the Steelers a 26-21 victory.

"I don't know what it is about it. He just has a knack. He has that 'It' sort of thing."

The victory sent the Steelers into their open date at 4-1 and pushed Roethlisberger's personal starting record in the regular season to 43-17 (.717), second best only to Tom Brady (.784) among current NFL quarterbacks with at least 40 starts.

Jacksonville was not just another victory on the pile for Roethlisberger; it represented an important milestone. Not only did he lead his team to his 15th winning drive in the final quarter or overtime and second in the past two games, he did it without his top two halfbacks and starting fullback and by throwing 41 times and topping 300 yards for only his fifth time in the regular season. He did it against a defense that expected the pass, he did it with a sore right shoulder that was hurt

again, and he did it in spectacular fashion at the end.

With a lame Jeff Reed not knowing how far or how accurate he might be on a field goal, Roethlisberger scrambled to his left and with two Jaguars hanging on him, completed an 18-yard pass to Ward on third down from his 31 in the closing minutes. That allowed him to find Ward from 8 yards out four plays later to win it.

"Unbelievable," said defensive end Aaron Smith yesterday. "It's incredible. I've kind of given up on being shocked because it seems like every time I see him do something, he does something more miraculous. Unbelievable."

"Amazing," tackle Trai Essex described it. "That's one of the best games I've ever seen from a quarterback. Just the plays he made in the clutch with people hanging on him, like that throw he made to Hines on third-and-8, that's one of the best throws I've ever seen. I don't know how he did that.

"We have a great quarterback and we're going to ride with him."

The kicker to it all? Roethlisberger did not practice last Wednesday or Thursday and was limited Friday.

"For a guy not to practice and go out there and put up over 300 yards passing, I can't describe how a guy can do that," Ward said. "He's done a phenomenal job to this point. We'd like to save him a little bit and keep him fresh. But he's going to show up every Sunday and give us all he's got."

They hope he can show up every Sunday.

Roethlisberger has been sacked 18 times in five games, putting him on a pace for nearly 58 sacks, which would be a record for a Steelers quarterback and more than his awful 47 sacks last season.

"I don't know what type of toll it's taking on him," Ward said.

Roethlisberger's right shoulder took another blow when it was wrenched by Jaguars defenders as he threw the 18-yard completion to Ward. He got up slowly, his right arm dragging, but said he never thought of leaving the field.

"Not unless they were bringing a stretcher, gurney, ambulance out there," Roethlisberger said yesterday. "I was going to stay out there until Mike wouldn't let me stay out there."

He told coordinator Bruce Arians after that hit that "we might have to hand the ball off for a couple of plays. Of course, two plays later he throws the ball."

All in all, though, he said he is in decent physical condition.

"I don't have anything too serious, bumps and bruises and stuff like that. For me, it's getting those bruises worked out and feeling good next week."

His teammates say they're not overly concerned about his health.

"He's taken a lot of beating, but he seems pretty durable," Aaron Smith said.

"I guess that's the nature of this business."

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08283/918562-66.stm

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
GutterflowerSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1261
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger...He's got it.

YAY - I'm glad he won AFC Player of the Week - nobody deserved it more. I wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the league!

~Sig created by SteelDuck~
GutterflowerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger ... He's got it.

Ben really is amazing and he's like the Eveready Bunny - he just keeps going and going and going . . . . Thanks for the read Tom!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

What Ben did in Jacksonville was simply amazing.

[youtube]hWp_TptqhqI[/youtube]
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

And the funny thing is, aside from Ben being named Offensive Player of the week, nobody is talking about the Steelers on the radio or anywhere else. It's all about the Titans and Giants and the Cowboys.

shhhhhhhhh........It appears we are back in stealth mode again.....! Just the way we like it.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
WisconsinSteelerMan
Bench Warmer

Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin (but still a Pittsburgher at heart!!!)
Member Number: 1388

I really have to hand it to Big Ben for standing in there and taking the hits he did. We have GOT to protect him better, though, and he has GOT to get rid of the ball better as well to get some of the pressure off of him. Otherwise, Ben will be GONE from the team in 2 years MAX and will be bound to a wheelchair or walker!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
WisconsinSteelerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Member Number: 9337

lol, shhhhhhhh. I agree, how awesome to have Ben get AFC player of the week and still the team flies under the radar.
NIce article - I don't think many players care as much or appreciate their QB as much as ours do Ben. And of course there's all of us.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
And the funny thing is, aside from Ben being named Offensive Player of the week, nobody is talking about the Steelers on the radio or anywhere else. It's all about the Titans and Giants and the Cowboys.

shhhhhhhhh........It appears we are back in stealth mode again.....! Just the way we like it.
Amen, brutha!

Just when the rest of the league is worried about the Cowboys & Giants, the Black & Gold strike up and whack em upside their heads!

Ben is double-tough, the man is Iron Man!

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverhard View Post
I don't think many players care as much or appreciate their QB as much as ours do Ben.
Nah, he's selfish and the rest of the team hates his guts - that's why he didn't get team MVP last year.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,195 Times in 3,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Ben really is amazing and he's like the Eveready Bunny - he just keeps going and going and going . . . . Thanks for the read Tom!

we may have to change his name from big ben (the london clock) to Big Timex cause he takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

this must be the 4th player to win a player of the week award in 5 weeks. ben, troy, james and woody. way to represent. hopefully tomlin gets the accolades this week too.

i read where david gerrard even called bens game the best he'd ever seen, noting that he never saw that type of play from any qb ever.

i guess im kinda like aaron smith. im so used to it, i rarely step back and appreciate how amazing it really is.

so much for his play dropping off after a big payday.