Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #21
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082
Default Re: Non-Partisan political question... yes it can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I gotta admit, that is a VERY fair question.

I know I am going to vote, but feel it is a waste of my time. I am only voting because it IS my civic duty.
I also live in CA, and I get very frustrated when I go to the polls. I have a wife and 5 year old daughter and vote against the minor able to have abortion with no parental consent proposition, yet 18 year old kids or people who don't even have a daughter can vote the other way and my vote means squat. On the other side of it, thats why I would vote pro choice if given opportunity even though I don't agree with abortion. I am a male and don't carry a child so why would I tell a woman what to do.
cubanstogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #22
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
I gotta admit. Part of the reason I don't want it to change is the antiquity and rarity of such a system.

For some reason, it just seems to be very Americaneusqe.
LOL I was thinking hypocritcal to the American way...which many foreigners feel ties in nicely with their views of this great nation.

IDK

It really does come down to viewpoint...and while the electoral college has gotten it right all but two times...I'm still not sold.

As for voter fraud...my guess is that it we would see it happen more only because it would be looked at more closely. Each state would still tasked with running it's own state votes.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #23
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
LOL I was thinking hypocritcal to the American way...which many foreigners feel ties in nicely with their views of this great nation.

IDK

It really does come down to viewpoint...and while the electoral college has gotten it right all but two times...I'm still not sold.

As for voter fraud...my guess is that it we would see it happen more only because it would be looked at more closely. Each state would still tasked with running it's own state votes.

See, that is where I would disagree. I think the electoral college got it right pretty much every time.

By balancing the individual and the state in the votes, it doesn't allow for power to be centralized in any one location... state or locality. I would only agree with you if the electoral college broke rank and voted against their states' wishes, which they ARE allowed to do in about half the states.

State laws disallow it in the rest (it has happened a couple times).
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #24
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
See, that is where I would disagree. I think the electoral college got it right pretty much every time.

By balancing the individual and the state in the votes, it doesn't allow for power to be centralized in any one location... state or locality. I would only agree with you if the electoral college broke rank and voted against their states' wishes, which they ARE allowed to do in about half the states.

State laws disallow it in the rest (it has happened a couple times).
As of 2006
36.5 M people live in California.
299.4M people live in the US.

That's about 12%

55 Electoral Votes for California
538 total Electoral Voters

10.2%

The two systems tie in fairly closely. The difference is, if 53% of the votes are democratic, the electoral college give the president 10% of the total vote regardless.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #25
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
As of 2006
36.5 M people live in California.
299.4M people live in the US.

That's about 12%

55 Electoral Votes for California
538 total Electoral Voters

10.2%

The two systems tie in fairly closely. The difference is, if 53% of the votes are democratic, the electoral college give the president 10% of the total vote regardless.
Yep...

which means that the state as a whole is represented by just 2 percent under thier population. And that is the issue I think. it is about state representation, instead of personal.

And thus, the disagreement. Though your question about people not voting has me thinking.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #26
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
And thus, the disagreement. Though your question about people not voting has me thinking.
You'd see a greater number of voters at the polls if they felt their votes counted...which would likely sway some of the great disparity we have in states like California.

The issue I have is with the logic involved to argue keeping the system. Regardless of whether we go to a population vote or electoral college vote, there are still going to be key states that politicians look at. California will get looked at harder by republicans, because then the state will actually matter to them.

The difference is that the people truly make a difference outside of the electoral college IMO.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #27
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
You'd see a greater number of voters at the polls if they felt their votes counted...which would likely sway some of the great disparity we have in states like California.

The issue I have is with the logic involved to argue keeping the system. Regardless of whether we go to a population vote or electoral college vote, there are still going to be key states that politicians look at. California will get looked at harder by republicans, because then the state will actually matter to them.

The difference is that the people truly make a difference outside of the electoral college IMO.

The middle ground to this question is splitting the votes of the college. THe good part of that all votes in all states will represent at least some.

The bad part... is that a state like California, a persons vote would rate (making up numbers) .90 of a vote while a vote from say, Wyoming may rep. 1.2 percent of a vote.
(12 percent of people, 10 percent of college, vs. (again, making up numbers) 2 percent of people, 5 percent of college).

However, that may be a good middle ground nonetheless.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #28
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

I could go with a split of the Electoral College, because it would be more closely linked with what the population actually wants...as well as the place value on the state as a separate entity.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #29
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
I could go with a split of the Electoral College, because it would be more closely linked with what the population actually wants...as well as the place value on the state as a separate entity.

So what other national issues can we solve today?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #30
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
So what other national issues can we solve today?
Get rid of political parties all together. They cause far more problems than they solve...and there are very few people who don't have some issues that line up with the other parties way of thinking.

Get rid of the parties...and then we can literally have the candidates talk about the issues, instead of talking about their parties flawed views.