Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-13-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default Steelers' Harrison to appeal NFL fine

Quote:
Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison was in surprisingly good spirits for someone who was fined $20,000 by the NFL for criticizing the officiating in Sunday night's 26-21 win at Jacksonville.

Just don't ask him what he thinks about his punishment.

"I have no comment because I can't get fined for something that I don't say," Harrison said following Wednesday's practice, the team's final one before heading into its bye week. "Right now, if you have questions for me, I have no comment on basically anything unless it's fact. If you ask me if my name is James Harrison, I can say yes to that. If you ask me an opinion on how I feel about a player or a team, I can't answer that because I don't want to be fined."

Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, said yesterday that Harrison will appeal his fine.

Taped on the wall next to Harrison's locker was a letter dated Oct. 6 that he received from NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson explaining his fine.

Taped under the letter was the Tribune-Review article in which Harrison's comments appeared, with the following quote by Harrison highlighted:

"You don't make a call like that in a situation like that, c'mon. Unless (the referee) might have money on it, I don't know."

According to the letter, Harrison violated Article 9.1 (c)(4) of the NFL Constitution and Bylaws, which "prohibits criticism of game officials and other league officials." The letter went on to say that Harrison's "insinuation of gambling is especially disturbing."

Harrison, who is second in the AFC with 6.5 sacks, was flagged for roughing the passer in the fourth quarter after the Steelers had stopped the Jaguars on third down.

Following the win, Harrison said he never took an extra step before hitting quarterback David Garrard and tried to help break Garrard's fall.

"I put my hands out to stop all of my weight from falling on top of him," Harrison said after the game. "Maybe (the referee) was just trying to give them a first down."

Some of Harrison's teammates gathered around his locker as he met with reporters yesterday. Defensive captain James Farrior said he understands what Harrison is going through.

"Oh yeah. We feel his pain. It could easily be one of us. I got fined last week, so I know exactly how he feels," said Farrior, who was docked $7,500 for making an obscene finger gesture at Cleveland Browns fans this season. "That's coming straight out of his check. You don't even get to see it."

Farrior said some of Harrison's teammates believe his comments are reflective of how other players feel.

"Hopefully, I don't get in trouble for this, but (Harrison) definitely felt like he was speaking for a lot of guys. Not only in this locker room, but around the NFL," Farrior said. "Sometimes the calls are made to protect everybody and for everybody's safety, but sometimes they take it a little too far."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=9
NFL is really turning into a joke. Maybe the fans should establish a fund & pay these kinds of things 4 the players.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:19 AM   #2
Lock Down
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9857
Default Re: Steelers' Harrison to appeal NFL fine

Not sure if it will be overturned. The gambling reference might be enough for it to stick. What was the consequence for the refs for that call though? Did anyone step up & say it was a mistake? Fortunately the call had no bearing on the ultimate result.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:36 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,292 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think it was a good play and shouldn't have penalized for it but like someone stated above the gambling part might be what gets him.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Yup, the NFL is afraid of any notion of gambling, officials and organized crime. Just pay up and walk away James.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Probably just a formality based on some advice.

He'll end up paying...they always do.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersMongol View Post
Maybe the fans should establish a fund & pay these kinds of things 4 the players.
Umm...maybe the NFL fans can establish a fund to pay for my parking tickets too???

Haha...look. I fully agree with everyone that the NFL is turning into a flag football league, but these players do not need our financial support. A $20,000 fine to them is like a $150 fine to you and me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Actually, if you compare the $20k fine to Harrisons $1.375 mil annual salary. Its like a $727 fine to somebody making an annual income of $50,000.

A decent size fine, but dont come looking at me to help him pay......I gave at the office.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Actually, if you compare the $20k fine to Harrisons $1.375 mil annual salary. Its like a $727 fine to somebody making an annual income of $50,000.

A decent size fine, but dont come looking at me to help him pay......I gave at the office.
Me too, but more like blood,sweat and tears. Oh, and really bad hangovers.
Wait, that does describe hangovers.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #9
benfan7
Water Boy

Member Number: 8722

FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
what ever happened to that???

SIX TIME CHAMPS!
benfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfan7 View Post
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
what ever happened to that???
Doesn't apply in the workplace. If I were to walk up to my boss and call him an A-hole today, I'd be looking for a new job tomorrow. I don't have a problem with the fine, because Harrison did go overboard with the gambling reference (I also don't think he has a leg to stand on with this appeal), but I do think the amount is excessive.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote