Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Classifieds

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Tagg67
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10298
Default How to spot a fake Jersey

I found this link through a guy (Frog) on Ebay who has posted very good information and photos of how to pick out fake jerseys. He is a Charger fan and most of his photos are of Charger jerseys, but the info can help you pick out fakes no matter what team you like.

I purchased an Authenthic Kordall Stewart jersey years ago from the Steelers website, and it was a great jersey, but during the 2005 year, I purchased 4 more jerseys off of Ebay. Some were good fakes, but others were just plain poor quality. I got burnt on a few of them so I want to spread my knowledge to you so that you will not loose too much money if you buy off Ebay. I have been doing a lot of research, looking at game footage of the Steelers, and using the official website to help me pick out fakes too.

Hope this helps.
Tagg67

http://www.thumper300zx.com/jersey/fake_vs_real.htm

Last edited by Tagg67; 10-13-2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: edited text.
Tagg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
Lock Down
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9857
Default Re: How to spot a fake Jersey

Good post Tagg. There are definately too many shifty sellers on eBay, that site would definately help out a first time buyer in particular.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Hey Im in China, land of the fakeness. However they are masters a copy.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:27 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,421 Times in 1,445 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Thanks for the info there is alot of fakes out there and jerseys are reall high.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
the_king_from_leon
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9061

I thought I had best post a link to a guy in the UK which has a website/forum dedicated to showing how to tell if you have bought a fake jersey

http://nfljerseyfanparadise.forumotion.com/index.htm

I would recommend anyone who wants to learn more about jersey spotting to head over there
Old 10-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
Tagg67
Draft Prospect

Thanks for the other link... Good information there too. I use to live in the UK, and I agree with you, it's hard to tell what you are getting when you can't go to a local shop to look at the real item.

Thanks for your comments.

Tagg67
Old 10-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Thanks a bunch.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

I got a fake/genuine (lol) Joey Porter jersey a couple years ago and I love it. It's an up grade on those thin plastic numbered jerseys. I also had a Greg Lloyd jersey and had my name done on a jersey (regret that one) made from the Steelers store in the Grove City outlets. They had a rack of genuine jerseys with no names or numbers on them. I grabbed two, told them what I wanted and I think it cost about $200.00 including shipping.

On that personal jersey: I used #98 (unused at the time). I wish I'd used #71 (the year I was born). I'm now contemplating having the numbers reversed and inverted and having my name replaced with "WARD" or just having my name replaced with "HAMPTON." ....just not at the top of the priority list (I also shouldn't neglect to say that I was single when I dropped $200.00 on a couple football jerseys ) Plus, I've heard there's a glue residue left when the numbers are removed, but there was a slight residue on these when I picked them out and the store cleaned them up nicely. I believe they may have been left over from training camp or something.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
Tagg67
Draft Prospect

Something I noticed over the past couple days on Ebay. There are a few "Throwback" jerseys for players like Bradshaw, Lambert, Greene etc with Player of the Century on them. If you look at the front of the jersey you will notice the Steeler Patch on the upper chest. This patch was not added to the Steeler Jersey's until 1997 (Pittsburgh Steeler history), so unless some of these players were still playing in 1997, they should not have the Steeler patch on the jersey. On a similar note, the 1975 jerseys did come with the Bicentennial patch on the upper chest so players during that time frame should have that patch on them.

I have notice that there are also some Black jerseys with the players names in Yellow with a white outline? Only the names on the White jerseys have the two color layering. (See photos).

There is also a jersey with a 75th Anniversary patch that says Authentic? Look at the jersey closely and you can see that the patch is screen printed! (See Photo)

Just some helpful info that I have come across and would like to share with all of you in the hunt for a jersey. I understand that not everyone is not looking for a real authentic jersey, some just want a cheap low cost version. I just want to put out information that I have researched and think most of us can use in the hunt for a Pittsburgh Steelers Jersey.

Ebay Item: 250308589270
Ebay item: 300265064303

Please feel free to add to this list if you come across something too. Maybe we can get a Sticky posted just for spotting Steelers Jerseys, fake and authentic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2layername.jpg (154.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenPatch.JPG (21.6 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Tagg67; 10-15-2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added ebay item number since photos did not work
Old 10-16-2008, 04:24 AM   #10
the_king_from_leon
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9061

I think rather than looking for fake/authentic jerseys it may be a bit better to list sellers that are fake/authentic