Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106
Default Tomlin & Ward Puzzled

Has this not been posted?

Quote:
Ward puzzled by pair of fines
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hines Ward is one of the best blocking wide receivers in the NFL and has long been lauded for his toughness.

The NFL, however, has blurred the line between aggressive and unacceptable play for the 11th-year veteran.

Ward said Monday he is seeking answers after being fined a total of $15,000 for unnecessary roughness in each of the past two Steelers' games.

The league fined Ward for separate incidents even though he wasn't penalized for either one.

"I don't understand, if you don't get flagged for it, then how can they fine you? I still thought this game was football," Ward said. "Obviously I need to have a better understanding of what it is I'm doing that keeps getting me fined."

Ward plans to appeal the fines. He said the NFL specified why it fined him after the Steelers' 23-20 win over the Ravens on Sept. 29. He said he was not told why he received another fine following the Steelers' 26-21 win over the Jaguars on Oct. 5.

"I jumped over a guy's head (in the Ravens game), he fell and my momentum carried me, and I jumped over his head and the back of my butt hit his head," Ward said. "Jacksonville, I just walked into my locker (Monday) and had a $10,000 fine."

Ward is one of three Steelers players who incurred a fine from the Jaguars game. Outside linebacker James Harrison was docked $20,000 for making what the NFL called inappropriate comments about the officiating.

Ward, long considered one of the best downfield blockers in the NFL, said Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has warned him that the league is keeping an eye on him.

The four-time Pro Bowler said he wants to make sure he isn't being unfairly targeted.

"If anything, I want to see what they're fining (other players) for personal fouls against me," Ward said. "It would be kind of weird that I get fined and some of those players aren't getting fined. If I'm the only one getting fined and other players aren't getting fined, that brings up a huge question for me."

Ward and the Steelers, who are coming off a bye week, returned to practice yesterday for the first time since last Wednesday.

Among those who practiced were running back Willie Parker and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Parker has missed the past two games with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee.

"I felt good out there," Parker said. "I'm ready to play so I can help the team out the best I can Sunday."

Barring a setback, Parker is expected to return Sunday when the Steelers play the winless Bengals in Cincinnati.

The trip will represent another return to his native state for Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger has won 32 of the 34 games he has started at quarterback in Ohio dating to high school. It looks like he will be close to full strength when he tries to continue his dominance in his home state.

Roethlisberger has been bothered by a sprained joint in his right shoulder.

"It feels good," he said of his shoulder. "It's not 100 percent, but it's getting close."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_593148.html
Old 10-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Tomlin & Ward Puzzled

Quote:
Ward said Monday he is seeking answers after being fined a total of $15,000 for unnecessary roughness in each of the past two Steelers' games.
Answer: Goodell's a douchebag.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Ding ding ding we have a winner.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
I'm at a loss.

Bottom line: Goodell is taking football in another direction.

It's entertainment now. Good wholesome family entertainment.

No gangbangers, no injuries, no excessive hitting (a.k.a. violence), lots of national coverage, lots of money, lots of bullshit.

Its about jersey sales, exposure, Tom Brady, Giselle, Tony Romo, Jessica Simpson, and 54-51 scores.

Give the people what they "want!"

The sooner you get that through your head, Gary, the sooner we can move on!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
Bottom line: Goodell is taking football in another direction.

It's entertainment now. Good wholesome family entertainment.

....no excessive hitting (a.k.a. violence)....
Except when it comes to Ben, then it's anything goes.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Except when it comes to Ben, then it's anything goes.
"Dude's huge... he can take it..."

I agree, the contradictions will apparently always be there. I'm not entirely sure what the justification there is. I guess since the guy's the second coming of Evel Knievel (intended as he is tough as shit & survived that crash to play another day) he is put into a "special" anything goes category.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Not to sound like a little beach, but...
I'm really starting to wonder if all that BS with Specter set off a bias toward the Steelers. I don't know how anyone can watch these games and say that there isn't a double standard at work here.

Sucks, but what can you do....win anyways.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
Not to sound like a little beach, but...
I'm really starting to wonder if all that BS with Specter set off a bias toward the Steelers. I don't know how anyone can watch these games and say that there isn't a double standard at work here.

Sucks, but what can you do....win anyways.
I dunno.

I've always seen Specter as being aligned with the western half of the state (a.k.a the Eagles).

If you REALLY want to build a conspiracy, let's go with Goodell being upset at the Rooneys for not settling their ownership dispute and conforming to league regulations that claim the other brothers have a conflict of interest (owning gambling institutions and a football team).

EDIT: Of course by western I mean eastern... geography... hmmm
Old 10-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Goodell. you are a fargin' icehole.

Quote:
Steelers absorb another fine from Jacksonville game
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers weren't the only ones to benefit by their victory in Jacksonville Oct. 5; so too did NFL charities.
That's where player fines go and four Steelers contributed $45,000 to charity from their actions and words in that game.

The latest fine to surface today: Wide receiver Nate Washington was fined $7,500 for taunting, which was penalized during the game as well.

That's added to the $10,000 fine Hines Ward received for unnecessary roughness, $7,500 on safety Ryan Clark for unnecessary roughness in what was described as a late hit, and a $20,000 fine on linebacker James Harrison for comments after the game questioning referee Brian Winter's intent for calling a roughing the passer penalty on him.

Ward also was fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness in the game against Baltimore.

Ward has questioned the calls and Steelers chairman Dan Rooney wrote a letter to the league to protest. Today, coach Mike Tomlin said he wants the league to clarify why it fined Ward in Jacksonville.

"I join him in being bewildered on the second one," Tomlin said. "That's how this guy has played football for a long time now. Neither one of the instances were penalties. Don't get me wrong, I understand what the league is trying to do from a safety standpoint and I am for that. We've got to be competitive, we've got to be professional and put a good product out there for our fans. But, boy, it's starting to cost too much money to come to work for these guys. We've got to get a little clarity in regards to that and I think that's something we're working on as a league."
Tomlin said he plans to call the league about it this week.

A league spokesman clarified Ward's fine thusly:
"Specifically, on a run play, he unnecessarily struck the opponent in the head area, violating Rule 12, Section 2, Article 1(c) of the NFL Official Playing Rules: 'striking, swinging, or clubbing to the head, neck or face with the heel, back, or side of the hand, wrist, forearm, elbow or clasped hands.'
"In the league's letter to Ward, it was noted that he was fined in 2007 for a late hit and additionally in 2008 for a late hit -- and that further offenses will result in an escalation of fines."

First published on October 14, 2008 at 3:06 pm
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08288/919846-66.stm

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

I was wondering if anyone knew what do they do with all this money from fines collected. In other words who or what entity benefits from the monies collected?

Just curious if anyone knew!!!!!!!!
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote