Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,499
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,601
Thanked 6,686 Times in 2,896 Posts
Default Obama draws line in sand- McCain to take the bait?

no flames of passing judgement by me in this post. just casual observation and analysis-

this may ignite the spark to what have been rather lackluster debates so far this season. i dont know who dropped the "lack the guts" line first (aint gonna bother to research it), but this is a risky, daring, and possibly brilliant "knock out blow" strategy by the obama camp.

in recent days, mccain has seemed to back off the "terrorist" smear tactics of his recent campaign. he has even gone as far to say americans have nothing to fear with obama as prez (ouch).

this gives obama the opportunity to play the provocateur. its pretty obvious obamas got a pretty good debate lined up if mccain presses the issue and wishes to use his "material".

this gauntlet being thrown down leaves mccain with 2 options. stick with his recent softened stance (one that many prognosticators now think he must stick with to win) and appear "gutless", or to throw caution to the wind and take what obama obviously assumes will be an ass kicking of a rebuttal, he has had weeks to prepare for.

i see this as a potential curveball thrown in the mccain camps direction. do they focus on the economy, and the issues, or do they go on the attack. i see no reason why obama would "wake a sleeping dog" if he didnt feel he was well prepared like a harvard law student should be.

politics and "left vs. right" aside, i think things just got alot more juicy for the final debate. should be interesting and God forbid, entertaining.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...-obama-pr.html

Quote:
McCain to Obama: I Have 'Guts' to Bring Up Ayers
Email
Share October 14, 2008 12:11 PM

ABC News' Ron Claiborne, Teddy Davis, and Arnab Datta Report:

Speaking to a St. Louis radio station on Tuesday, John McCain said that Barack Obama's recent suggestion that McCain does not have guts to raise the Bill Ayers issue to his face "probably ensured" that the former Weather Underground leader will come up in Wednesday's final presidential debate.

"You have another debate coming up. The final debate. Many of your supporters are eager for you to confront Senator Obama on the Bill Ayers relationship in particular. Hillary Clinton even brought this up during the primary. Sen. Obama says you should have the guts to do it in person. So will you?" McCain was asked by KMOX's Mark Reardon.

"Oh yeah," said McCain. "You know, I was astonished to hear him say that he was surprised for me to have the guts to do that. Because the fact is that the question did not come up in that fashion so--you know--I think he's probably ensured that it will come up this time."
Listen to McCain's KMOX radio interview here.

McCain's indignation was provoked by Obama telling ABC News' Charles Gibson last week that McCain was not willing to level the Ayers attack to his face.
-"This post is approved by tony hipchest and written on his own accord."
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Obama draws line in sand- McCain to take the bait?

Yep..

I think it is court-room manuevering. Try to get him to say what you want him to say, but have it be in his own words, so that you can answer with the answer you came up with long before he asked the question.


The real trick... is if McCain can re-ask the question in a way that makes Obama's answer not click and thus, make him think on the spot. That creates an opportunity for a mistatement. On something that big, that could be dangerous.


I don't know myself, but being up in the polls by 5 points across the board, I would have left it alone myself. Much as Reagan put the age issue down in the second debate, and then completely left it alone after that. Never mess with a sleeping dog. You never know what may come up. 3 weeks is a LIFETIME in a political debate.

It should be interesting.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,499
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,601
Thanked 6,686 Times in 2,896 Posts
Default Re: Obama draws line in sand- McCain to take the bait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post


The real trick... is if McCain can re-ask the question in a way that makes Obama's answer not click and thus, make him think on the spot. That creates an opportunity for a mistatement. On something that big, that could be dangerous.
.
i say "good luck to mccain" on that.

all i know is that if i were a lawyer with a harvard education, this is a bull i'd be more than willing to grab by the horns as opposed to leaving it up to some schmucks i hired to prepare as a question, answer or rebuttal.

right now the ayers and wright thing might be the most "damning evidence" against obama (it seems that "no experience" has become old hat) and im sure its something obama is willing to take on all by himself, relying on his expertice.

this could play itself out like the battle of wits in "the princess bride".
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Obama draws line in sand- McCain to take the bait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i say "good luck to mccain" on that.

all i know is that if i were a lawyer with a harvard education, this is a bull i'd be more than willing to grab by the horns as opposed to leaving it up to some schmucks i hired to prepare as a question, answer or rebuttal.

right now the ayers and wright thing might be the most "damning evidence" against obama (it seems that "no experience" has become old hat) and im sure its something obama is willing to take on all by himself, relying on his expertice.

this could play itself out like the battle of wits in "the princess bride".
I don't know...

On that public a stage, it is always a dangerous thing to do, no matter who it is.

All it takes is one mistake. One curveball, and it can all start coming down. Remember when (I think it was Mondale) made the mistake of saying, "The difference between he and me is that I will tell you I am going to raise taxes."

A big oops.

It is however, all or nothing gambit. Either he hits it out of the park, or he strikes out and hopes 3 weeks comes quickly. I am just not sure why he would go there.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,499
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,601
Thanked 6,686 Times in 2,896 Posts
Default Re: Obama draws line in sand- McCain to take the bait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I don't know...

On that public a stage, it is always a dangerous thing to do, no matter who it is.

All it takes is one mistake. One curveball, and it can all start coming down. Remember when (I think it was Mondale) made the mistake of saying, "The difference between he and me is that I will tell you I am going to raise taxes."

A big oops.

It is however, all or nothing gambit. Either he hits it out of the park, or he strikes out and hopes 3 weeks comes quickly. I am just not sure why he would go there.
i think obama is better equipped to handle this instance than mondale.

i think obama is alittle ticked off about having palin imply he is a terrorist, and having the GOP conventions associate him with sadaam hussien has got to piss him off.

lets keep in mind obama received his middle name 47 years ago, long before anyone on the world stage even knew who sadaam was. = refering to obama as "hussein" is as fear baiting as it gets.

this is obamas opportunity to strike. he has been playing it cool to this point and while mccains guard seems to be down, this seems like the opportune moment for a knock out blow.

i dont think a candidates middle name should influence anyones vote but it seems to be a tactic the GOP are playing on. after all reagans letters of his 3 names added up to 6-6-6. turned out to mean nothing at all.
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 471
Member Number: 7228
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Obama draws line in sand- McCain to take the bait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I don't know...

On that public a stage, it is always a dangerous thing to do, no matter who it is.

All it takes is one mistake. One curveball, and it can all start coming down. Remember when (I think it was Mondale) made the mistake of saying, "The difference between he and me is that I will tell you I am going to raise taxes."

A big oops.

It is however, all or nothing gambit. Either he hits it out of the park, or he strikes out and hopes 3 weeks comes quickly. I am just not sure why he would go there.
As a potential Obama supporter, I'd have to agree. Three weeks is plenty of time for a ship to sink, even one ahead.
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #7
JPPT1974
Bench Warmer
 
JPPT1974's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seymour TN
Posts: 255
Gender: Female
Member Number: 5361
Thanks: 39
Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
My Mood: Blah
Default Re: Obama draws line in sand- McCain to take the bait?

Sadly, it seems like curtains for McCain/Palin.
__________________
The List Is Life!
JPPT1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:13 AM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Obama draws line in sand- McCain to take the bait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think obama is better equipped to handle this instance than mondale.

i think obama is alittle ticked off about having palin imply he is a terrorist, and having the GOP conventions associate him with sadaam hussien has got to piss him off.

lets keep in mind obama received his middle name 47 years ago, long before anyone on the world stage even knew who sadaam was. = refering to obama as "hussein" is as fear baiting as it gets.

this is obamas opportunity to strike. he has been playing it cool to this point and while mccains guard seems to be down, this seems like the opportune moment for a knock out blow.

i dont think a candidates middle name should influence anyones vote but it seems to be a tactic the GOP are playing on. after all reagans letters of his 3 names added up to 6-6-6. turned out to mean nothing at all.
Here is where we are going to disagree, and as a result, I am finished after this post, because I don't want to get back into partisan political discussions, which is where it seems you're driving this.

Associating McCain with Bush is fear baiting on economic terms. Period.
Associating Gore with Clinton morality wasn't fear baiting, but it was the same kind of guilt by association.

Clinton fear baited by talking about the "dark days ahead" for America in 2000.

Let us not forget the "world will crash down on us" fear-baiting of Bush in 2004.

_____

See a pattern?

That is why I really don't want to get into these discussions anymore, because I am sick of people trying to say their party is pure as the wind driven snow, and teh other party is dirty, ugly, low-down sneaks.

The further back I step from my personal political agenda, the more I see the same thing in both parties. It started in 1993 or 4 when I heard the GOP speaking about things that they lambasted the DNC for in the 80's, and the GOP getting lambasted by the DNC for things the DNC stood for in the 80's.

Then, it flipped again when Bush got into office.

In the end, there are two parties with well-defined agendas that are not that far apart. No matter the person that gets elected, it is those agenda's that ultimately will be trumpeted, or the person will be cut off at the knees. It is nothing personal, nor meaningful, it is the internal inertial of each party.

That is why I used to always vote Republican regardless of person, because I agreed with the platform and most of the individual planks in the platform. Therefore I didn't care who the face was, the platform was still being presented.

Now, the platform has changed in practice if not officially, which is why I am no longer a republican.

That is why I don't like this election cycle, because I really don't have a candidate to vote for.

I am voting for the candidate that I disagree the least with... not the one I agree the most with, and that is sad.

Mark my words, there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of ex-Gop'ers that feel the same way.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:29 AM   #9
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,488
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 585
Thanked 4,512 Times in 2,291 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Obama draws line in sand- McCain to take the bait?

I agree that it is a set up but I don't agree that it is a big risk. MCcain has dropped from making the bs charges not from any Obama response. All Obama will need to do is act calm.
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend
 
revefsreleets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio Home of LeBron James
Posts: 15,403
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Obama draws line in sand- McCain to take the bait?

McCain needs to spend this whole debate seperating himself from Bush. He's failed in delivering this message, and he needs to pound it in tonight. There are a LOT of misleading ads characterizing McCain as Bush III and it's ridiculous. He has the record and new plans that are very different from what Bush offered, and he just needs to hammer, hammer, hammer away at that. Who cares what Obama says? Deliver your OWN message tonight, John...
__________________
Official Steelersfever Arians Nuthugger
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts