Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Obama draws line in sand- McCain to take the bait?

It makes me think that now that Obama was the first to mention it, he's already sat down with his speech writers and has an alibi for his actions with Ayers and ACORN, therefore he's not too worried about the question.

Obama is a smooth talker and many people will buy into his answers for his past associations that have helped his political career - but that doesn't make it appropriate!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,333 Times in 3,528 Posts

Stakes high as Obama, McCain head for final debate

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081015/...J3_YGPeCVg.3QA

Quote:
McCain has suggested that he is likely to bring up Obama's links to William Ayers, a radical during the Vietnam War era. Ayers was a member of the violent Weather Underground group but later became a university professor in Chicago and an expert on education. He and Obama both worked with some of the same charity foundations in Chicago, and Ayers hosted a reception for Obama when he first ran for the Illinois state Senate.

"We're always prepared for him to be hyperaggressive in his attacks," Obama campaign aide Robert Gibbs said of McCain. "I just think that doesn't work in an environment where so many people are concerned about the issues in front of them, not scare tactics they don't see as helping to pay the bills."
it seems to me the obama camp feels it is sitting on a pretty good rebuttal that can score some points and they are itching to use it.

i agree with revs on what mccainshould do. but what he should do and what he has been advised to do could be 2 different things.

the base wants him to take off the gloves. bad idea. the camp has given him bad advice in the past.

either way, i think its a bold and daring strategy by obama and kinda puts mccain on the spot. i think mccain feels compeled to bite and respond. (he shouldnt).

obama has intercepted the ball and goes into this debate on offense. i just think it adds a bit more drama and sizzle to what weve seen in all the other debates. we will see.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Member Number: 9337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
That is why I really don't want to get into these discussions anymore, because I am sick of people trying to say their party is pure as the wind driven snow, and teh other party is dirty, ugly, low-down sneaks.
Preacher - No one's saying that, I didn't see Tony say that, especially not here. Tony said that calling Obama by his inflammatory middle name is fear baiting and that Obama is probably going into this debate armed with some fire. I can't see how that's a partisan thing to say. I just can't. Especially for someone who doesn't belong to any party. Which brings me to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Now, the platform has changed in practice if not officially, which is why I am no longer a ___________.

That is why I don't like this election cycle, because I really don't have a candidate to vote for.

I am voting for the candidate that I disagree the least with... not the one I agree the most with, and that is sad.

Mark my words, there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of ex-____'ers that feel the same way.
Turn this into a certificate, hand it out to everyone in the US, fill in the blanks with Democrat, Republican, GOP, or DNC and you would probably have almost every American signing one of these in blood.
We need a viable system with more than 2 parties that *sort of* represent us. We need instant run-off voting so that our votes aren't used against us if our candidate doesn't have a chance but we would like to be able to voice our support.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
tony hipchest

yeah preacher, leftover hard is correct. you stated "I am just not sure why he would go there", and i offered up why i though obama would employ this strategy which seems much more aggressive than what he has shown to this point.

i made it clear, this post wasnt about specific policies and politics (past present or future) but the debate itself, and the styles and strategies the candidates will use.

it could be something, it could be nothing. it could be sizzle, it could be fizzle. it could be a huge misstep by obama and backfire in his face. it could be a risk with big reward and totally back mccain into a corner he dont want to be in.

or it can be anywhere in between.

lets not turn this into anything more than it is. its a simple civil discussion on campaign strategies. i fing debating the strategies much more interesting than the issues themselves, cause after all its strategical.

didnt everyone love playing strategy games as a kid?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #15
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
yeah preacher, leftover hard is correct. you stated "I am just not sure why he would go there", and i offered up why i though obama would employ this strategy which seems much more aggressive than what he has shown to this point.

i made it clear, this post wasnt about specific policies and politics (past present or future) but the debate itself, and the styles and strategies the candidates will use.

it could be something, it could be nothing. it could be sizzle, it could be fizzle. it could be a huge misstep by obama and backfire in his face. it could be a risk with big reward and totally back mccain into a corner he dont want to be in.

lets not turn this into anything more than it is. its a simple civil discussion on campaign strategies. i fing debating the strategies much more interesting than the issues themselves, cause after all its strategical.

didnt everyone love playing strategy games as a kid?
I was reacting to the point that a few of your statements are based on subjective critiques which are biased by the support of a candidate.

Quote:
refering to obama as "hussein" is as fear baiting as it gets.
Is a politically biased comment, as I would say referring to McCain as a clone of Bush, or McSame is driving fear, especially when certain elements within the democrat party try to paint Bush as a evil, right infringing, money grabbing fool.
It is all perspective.

Quote:
palin imply he is a terrorist,
Is also quite based on perspective, as most on the right would say she didn't imply he was a terrorist, but questioned his wisdom in assoiciating with people who were known domestic terrorists in the past. Whether you agree with that or not, that is the PERSPECTIVE of the right, just like the PERSPECTIVE on the left is that she WAS implying he was a terrorist.

Like I said, what I was reacting to is the fact that perspectives are thought to be reality. It leaves me in a quandry, because Tony, I know you are very smart, which leads me to beleive that you knew what you were posting and trying to "slip one in".

Forgive me if I am wrong. I hope I am.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #16
tony hipchest

you are forgiven.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
you are forgiven.
Only in your perspective...
Old 10-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #18
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

My debate prediction:

Boring, nothing new, no fireworks. Even if McCain brings up Ayers, Obama won't do anything more than use it as an opportunity to defuse the charge; he won't go on the attack.

This has been like a tennis match between a net charger and a baseliner. All Obama has to do is play defense, hit the ball back over the net, and let McCain make the mistakes. The ONLY thing Obama can do that won't benefit him is charge the net; as long as he continues to hit the ball back, he's doing what he needs to.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #19
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Member Number: 9337

Quote:

If I had to bet, this would be a safe one. Not expecting fireworks from anyone. It would be more interesting but I don't think anyone has the nads at this point.

Last edited by Leftoverhard; 10-15-2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: fix quote
Leftoverhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #20
Preacher
Living Legend

Leftover,

As sad as it is to say this, a multi party system, i think, would be even worse. Because of how our government is set up, could you imagine the dealings in teh house and senate?

"psst. If you vote to block this, we will work to funnel 200 million to that new park in your district."

What I think needs to happen, is a revolution in both parties... much like the Whigs becoming the Republicans.