Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-16-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Mr. Rooney's Thoughts on Expanding NFL Season

I wouldn't be opposed to extending the season to 18 regular season games, but I think shortening the preseason would be a mistake for the reasons Mr. Rooney states below. Your thoughts?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08290/920302-66.stm

Rooney cool to longer NFL season; prefers extra game over two

Thursday, October 16, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Dan Rooney opposes expanding the NFL season beyond 16 games, but he's willing to compromise.

Rooney said yesterday that he would consider adding one game but not two as some team owners want. The topic, discussed at the NFL fall meeting that ended yesterday, has been debated for years among owners but picked up steam since Roger Goodell became commissioner two years ago.

The league previously expanded its regular season by two games 30 years ago.

Proposals have been made to add one or two games to the regular season and reduce the four-game preseason by as many games. Rooney long opposed it because he believes that the importance of individual games will be watered down the more that are added to the schedule, and because the Steelers sell out each of their preseason games anyway as part of their season ticket packages.

But some teams have trouble filling their stadiums for preseason games, and their owners say the extra regular-season home game would be better attended.

"That's what they believe," Rooney said. "But it was said [at the meeting], and what I've always said, 'You say you have trouble with the preseason. What are you going to have if you're a team in the North and you are 2-12 and have two [home] games left?"'

The NFL will schedule a special meeting again next month, Rooney said, and while a vote could occur on the expanded regular season, he does not expect one.

He also does not expect teams to schedule spring intrasquad games or scrimmages, as some owners suggested this week.

"That's a little bit tough," he said.

The NFL expanded its regular season from 14 games to 16 in 1978, when it reduced its preseason from six games to four. It expanded from 12 games to 14 in 1961, the year after the AFL opened play with 14 games.

Rooney worries that reducing preseason games would limit the training of young players such as rookie quarterback Dennis Dixon.

"I think we have to be concerned about training football players, particularly quarterbacks. You come to camp now with a minimum of four quarterbacks. You have to play your No. 1 some time. Now how do you get in someone like Dixon? He's a guy who looks great for the future. You can say that about everybody. You can also say it about the officials.

"When we had the Euro league, we were able to send players and officials over there. We dropped that, so I'm a little bit concerned."

The problem with 17 games is that it would make an imbalance on the home-and-away schedule. Rooney suggested it could mean playing the extra game somewhere else, or alternating one home game each year between the NFC and AFC teams.

"You can use the 17 to pick up places like Europe," Rooney said. "Instead of playing just one game there, you can play two or more. You could play some in Los Angeles; you could play some everywhere -- in Mexico. We played one in Toronto; you could play in Vancouver -- things like that."

Any expansion of the regular season would have to have approval from the NFL Players Association.

"They would have to have discussions with the NFLPA because we would have to talk about revising the compensation for the players," a union spokesman wrote in an e-mail.

The subject of Steelers ownership also came up during the two-day meetings.

"We made a presentation to the general ownership just to inform them what's going on," Rooney said.

What is going on?

"I'm taking a pass on that."

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745
Default Re: Mr. Rooney's Thoughts on Expanding NFL Season

As much as I love football, I believe the current schedule is grueling enough without adding anymore regular season games. Injuries alone will attest to that.

That being said, I don't think you can use Mr. Rooney's argument that he has no problem selling out pre-season games because they are included in the season ticket package. The steelers have a great following, no doubt, but even then there are season ticket holders (in every market) that dump their pre-season game tickets because they realize that the starters will no be in very long, so in thier opinion, it's not a "real" game. The average walk up fan is usually not inclined to pay a regular season price for a pre-season game aware of this same fact. So, usually they are given away or sold lower then face value. I do, however, see the importance of pre-season games as it pretains to rookies and players new to the team and systems it employs.

When I first read the title of this thread I though expansion meant "teams" not "games". Thankfully that was not the case, because the NFL needs to strengthen it's existing franchises, NOT add to them with border line type players.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
TailgateMel
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8498

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
That being said, I don't think you can use Mr. Rooney's argument that he has no problem selling out pre-season games because they are included in the season ticket package. The steelers have a great following, no doubt, but even then there are season ticket holders (in every market) that dump their pre-season game tickets because they realize that the starters will no be in very long, so in thier opinion, it's not a "real" game. The average walk up fan is usually not inclined to pay a regular season price for a pre-season game aware of this same fact. So, usually they are given away or sold lower then face value.
AMEN!

Pre-season tickets should be cheaper.. IMHO... I didn't realize before 1978 there were SIX pre-season games... (I was 7 y/o)... sheesh.. that had to be really really monontonous waiting for the season to start then.
TailgateMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I think, if added, the 17th game should be played at a neutral site . . . Europe, Asia, Australia, etc. They can plan them after each teams bye week so the trip wont take such a toll on the players and expand the NFL more. That would be an ideal solution if it were to happen.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
I think, if added, the 17th game should be played at a neutral site . . . Europe, Asia, Australia, etc. They can plan them after each teams bye week so the trip wont take such a toll on the players and expand the NFL more. That would be an ideal solution if it were to happen.
NO WAY!
I hate games of any sport played in a neautral site.
The schedule already is grueling enough and injuries occur often, as long as the seaon is long enough to prove who are the playoffs teams which it does, then lets keep it 16 games.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
TailgateMel
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Even if they play a (far) out of country game the week after a bye... the teams still has to get *back*... wouldn't be so bad for say.. the Steelers or NY or some east coast team having a game in Europe.. .. but a West coast team having a Europe game, or any game in Asia or Australia... that just is a lot of travel to get back & play the next sunday for a *meaningful* game.

IMHO, I'm just not a big fan of the *expanding* into other countries idea... I truly appreciate our beloved European and south of the border Steelers fans (Hombres de Acero!!), but... the way they do it now with the preseason seems like a reasonable compromise

Mel
TailgateMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Keep season at 16, keep preseason at 4 games, but play one in the Spring...have it the week before the draft so it's like a whole "bonus" week of football...
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,199 Times in 439 Posts

The 16/4 regular season/preseason games format has worked well for 30 years now. If it ain't broke....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Extending the season would be a greedy money grab, nothing more. 16 regular-season games is plenty for me to watch as a fan -- and let's be realistic, playing that many games in a row is already pushing it in terms of the punishment that the players can absorb. Preseason games are just not the same as regular-season ones, and adding one more regular one is probably going to shorten everyone's career by a year or two.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Why fix what isn't broken?

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote