Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Member Number: 9337
Default Timmons

Thoughts? I'm surprised how under the radar Timmons' 10 tackles and 2 sacks went last Sunday. Impressive.
Sunday was an eye opener on how that dude should properly be used.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Timmons

Wait a second...

Isn't he that guy that everyone around here was saying was a bust?

Hmmm.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,387 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Wait a second...

Hmmm.
Beat me to it!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Makaveli
Banned

Member Number: 5998

Quote:
Wait a second...

Hmmm.
I've always said it and i stand firmly behind it. Timmons was, is and will always be vastly overated. Even more so (though slightly) than Rashard, the punter (sepulveda), Mundy and relatively any selection that Tomlin has had anything to do with. (I give Colbert the credit for Woodley as it was the kind of selection we have made for years now)
Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

BUST!!

They played mostly nickle defense, and timmons paid off with 10 stops and 2 sacks, not bad at all. foote was barely in the action, 1 tackle I think

I did see timmons beaten on a couple of passes, think it was against 6'4 chris henry. could still improve in that area

3 sacks in 6 games, not bad for a non-starter
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli View Post
I've always said it and i stand firmly behind it. Timmons was, is and will always be vastly overated. Even more so (though slightly) than Rashard, the punter (sepulveda), Mundy and relatively any selection that Tomlin has had anything to do with. (I give Colbert the credit for Woodley as it was the kind of selection we have made for years now)
So in essence, all bad picks are Tomlins... and any good picks, are Colberts?

and if it is inbetween, then it is a Tomlin pick.. and over rated?

Nice to see you have it all figured out...
Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Makaveli
Banned

Member Number: 5998

Quote:
So in essence, all bad picks are Tomlins... and any good picks, are Colberts?

and if it is inbetween, then it is a Tomlin pick.. and over rated?

Nice to see you have it all figured out...
By no means is Colbert a "guru" or "dead on". But the fact of the matter is,.. (even in the face of any childish sarcasm) ,...our draft classes since Tomlin has taken over have been completely out of character for him. (Colbert)

And have made little or no sense, even when they attempt to draft for "need". Meaning even when the latter is the case the front office seems to be making considerable reaches. Almost as if to exclude any actual elite talent.
Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Hey, I'm not going to tell you that I wasn't wondering a bit. I did say a couple of months ago that if he didn't do in this year he may be a bust.
Well he is doing it this year and if you want me to eat crow, I'll swallow it feathers and all.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli View Post
By no means is Colbert a "guru" or "dead on". But the fact of the matter is,.. (even in the face of any childish sarcasm) ,...our draft classes since Tomlin has taken over have been completely out of character for him. (Colbert)

And have made little or no sense, even when they attempt to draft for "need". Meaning even when the latter is the case the front office seems to be making considerable reaches. Almost as if to exclude any actual elite talent.
Please name an elite talent that was actually elite in years 1-3 of their career... and still elite in years 6-10?

BTW, that wasn't childish sarcasm. That was incredulity at the circular reasoning in your last post. You have just proposed a method of observation by which your presuppositions MUST come true.

You, in fact, have no idea whether Timmons is going to be a big star or not.

BTW... it seems that Colbert's hands were all over the trade up to get Sep. last year as a punter.

Quote:
When the other guy got picked, it got your attention?

Kevin Colbert: It cut our chances in half. To Mike's point, I had an experience in Detroit where we traded up in the second round for Jason Hanson and I'm not saying that this kid can have the same career that Jason has had. If you like those guys, there are not many of them and it is a situation where Chris (Gardocki) has been great for us, but Chris is also getting up there.
http://news.steelers.com/article/76080/

Now let's look at late round talent over the last few years.

In 2000, Donohoe was fired in January, and Colbert came on in February... So that draft is a wash as far as his influence is concerned. Let's go from 2001.

1. Hampton... Good pick.. but no one is questioning his number 1 choices. 2. Bell. Flash in the pan. He is already out of the game, just 7 years later. 4. Mathais Kkwenti.. WHO? 5. Chukky Okabi.. OK backup. 6. Rodney Bailey.. not so good 6. Roger Knight.. WHO? 7 Chris Taylor.. WHO?

7 years later.. it looks like there was only one good pick. the first round.

2002.. 1. Simmons.. again, no one quesitons his number 1 choice. 2. Randle El. great choice. 3 Hope. Decent. 4. Foote. Good choice. 5 Haynes. I was never impressed.. but other really liked him. 6. Lee Mays.. 7 LaVar Globver. 7 Brett Keisel. Nice.

So 2002 is a dang good year. Many of these players aren't with us, but they gave us some good years.

2003. Troy P. Again. first round... no prob. 2. Alonzo Jackson. OOPS. 4. Ivan Taylor OOPS. 5. Brian St. Pierre OOPS.

HORRIBLE draft outside of Troy.

2004. 1. Ben... don't have to say it again 2. Ricardo Oops, I dropped the ball again. 3. Starks... jury still out in my opinion..though not bad for a 3rd round pick. 5. Adibi. Good special teamer.. but that is all he is. 6. Bo lacy. Who 6 Matt kranchick Who? 6 Drew Caylor WHO? 7 Eric Taylor WHO?

Not too impressive. Hit decently with Starks. But you gotta remember, we were high in the draft order this year, and still had a not so good draft in the rounds outside of 1 and 3.

2005. Heath Miller. 3. Bryant McFadden. Good pick. 3. Trai Essex. Decent pick 4. Fred Gibson.. DIDNT EVEN MAKE THE TEAM. 5. Rian wallace... no impact at all. 6. Chris Kemo... Great pick. 7 Shaun Nua & Noah Herron.. NOPE to both.

This was a decent year.. hit on first and second picks... which seems to be a trend.. hit on 1 and 2 or 1 and 3. Kemo was a good pick.

2006. Santo.. again, first rounder. 3. Smith.. Knucklehead. 3. Reid. Gone. 4. Colon.. starter... 5. Jacobs Gone. 5. Davis. Gone 6. Philip Gone. 7 Humes. Gone.

Um.. anything need to be said here? By the way, Cowher took a month off or so. Any significance to Cowher taking time off and this draft being horrible out side of Santo and MAYBE smith.. if he ever screws his head on straight?

2007.. With Tomlin. Timmons... too soon to tell, but having some VERY good games... makes an impact whenver he is in the game. 2. Woodley, great pick. 3. Spaeth.. playing and making an impact... though not as much as we would hope. 4. .Sep. Great punter last year. Let's hope he heals. 4 McBean ? 5 Sthephenson? And now we get to 5. William Gay. The kid can play, let's see what will happen. 7. Dallas Baker. He is on the depth chart.. .from a 7th pick. Not bad at all.

Seems that we have 5 out of 8 players from last years draft that are playing... and that is two years removed from a SB team.

2008. WAY too soon to tell.

What does all this say?

it says that Colbert usually hits on number 1 and 2, or one and 3, and has a LOT of misses after that, sometimes he has a good draft, other times, he blows the entire draft except for the first round.

So this last draft... seems to be right in line with a Colbert draft.

BTW... I will take a hit on 1 and 2 or 3, and miss on the rest of the rounds ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

That is why I like Colbert. Because the top draft picks are never a miss for him.

But to give him credit for good picks and blame Tomlin for bad picks is absolutely not supported by the evidence. The evidence says that Colbert hits big.... and misses big.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
hizmi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8485

Quote:

2003. Troy P. Again. first round... no prob. 2. Alonzo Jackson. OOPS. ]4. Ivan Taylor OOPS. 5. Brian St. Pierre OOPS.

HORRIBLE draft outside of Troy.

What does all this say?

it says that Colbert usually hits on number 1 and 2, or one and 3, and has a LOT of misses after that, sometimes he has a good draft, other times, he blows the entire draft except for the first round.
Ike's a pretty good 4th round pick, even if you subscribe to Joyner's notion that he shouldn't be starting ahead of townsend and bmac.

And your analysis of Colbert doesn't mean much if you don't provide context. His success in each round has to be compared to the rest of the league.

--Homer
hizmi is offline   Reply With Quote