Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default General Observations:

Zone Blocking: For those who weren't sure, it was pretty much announced today that, yes, we are now a zone blocking team. That is the polar opposite of Grimm's scheme, so it explains some things.

Jurassic Park: LeBeau probes with different blitzes during the game searching for weakness, just like the Raptors did in JP. Notice how when we needed stops, the blitzes (really well disguised) worked? They kept blitzing even when the Bungles went to 3 step drops (and conventional wisdom dictates we switch to a 3 man rush) just for that reason.

Best they had: The Bengals had a stretch where they played at or above their capabilities, and that netted out to 10 points a few stops defensively.

STFU: Leon Hall interfered with Ward in the endzone. Not called. Jonathon Joseph interfered with Hines Ward. Not called. Cincy ran into the kicker on 4th and 3 (5 yard penalty gets us a fresh set of downs). Not called. Ward and Tomlin questioning the league, with Troy's criticism added in is NOT going to help us get calls.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: General Observations:

I am scared.

Just how good could we be? Our offense left what, 14 or 21 points on the field... and we STILL put up 38 points. 38!!!

now yes, it was against the Bungles. But still... WOW.

Also...

Again, YES, it was against the Bungles. But there were places where our line looked VERY good today.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I am scared.

Just how good could we be? Our offense left what, 14 or 21 points on the field... and we STILL put up 38 points. 38!!!

Also...

Again, YES, it was against the Bungles. But there were places where our line looked VERY good today.
I agree.......and I hope our team sees it, too. A little fine tuning here and there, some good luck on the injury issue and wow.

Half the world thinks we stole Superbowl XL.. Now we have a "dirty player" and everybody is out to get us.

We are primed for the big one.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I am scared.

Also...

Agreed. I sweated the 1st & Goal on the 3 for quite awhile today, but then the points just kept coming.

Our pass rush is positively fearsome this year. Nice to see Timmons getting some sloppy seconds today!
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I want to expound upon one point that even the announcers made.

When the Bengals went to the quick release 3 step drop, the Steelers stayed in the blitz mode for a couple series, and also played the DB's WAY off the LOS. There were three reasons for this.

1) The Bengals have a young QB, and when you go to a west coast type 3 step drop O it requires really good timing and execution. The natural assumption is that they will fail and not put together the required drive of many plays gaining a few yards each.
2) By staying in pressure mode, the Steelers put their faith in their secondary that they would bend, not break. What was the yardage on the Bungles longest completion today?
3) By continuing to probe, when the Bengals were forced to pass down the field (i.e. 5-7 step drops), Lebeau had all the info he needed to really disrupt their passing game.

This game is chess, not checkers, and that's why casual observers who say retarded things like "The DB's suck because they are giving a 10 yards cushion" aren't really worth even addressing. They don't understand the subtle nuances of the game.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Zone Blocking: For those who weren't sure, it was pretty much announced today that, yes, we are now a zone blocking team. That is the polar opposite of Grimm's scheme, so it explains some things.

Here is a good description of zone blocking.

Each linemen reaches a spot or zone where he stands up a defender, normally blocking him around the armpits, or runs him into fellow blocked defenders to produce momentary gridlock; then he moves onto a next defender rather than stay with his "man." This creates gaps through which a running back, or a running quarterback, can squirt and then cut back against the flow.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06302/733956-144.stm

Here is a video link where the Texans zone block is explained by Chester Pitts. http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d808411b4
the Texans Alex Gibbs is the godfather of zone blocking

Here is another video where Clinton Portis shows a Broncos zone block scheme. As you will see all the blockers take a step one way and block in unison......there is no pulling.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d808feaf1

The Mewelde Moore TD where Stapleton pulled is not a zone block scheme. Any pull involving Kemoateu, the center or a lead blocker like McHugh, Davis, Miller is not a zone block. I see some elements of zone block, but not much in the Steelers O line play.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIIOwheelz View Post
Agreed. I sweated the 1st & Goal on the 3 for quite awhile today, but then the points just kept coming.

Our pass rush is positively fearsome this year. !
I agree....but the points didnt come until the 4th quarter. It was Steelers 17- Bengals 10 after 3 quarters despite outplaying the Bengals most of the game. I think the fact that we passed 3 times from the 3 yard line and failed to convert a few 3rd and 3's showed the weakness of not being able to get the tough yards.

The things I really saw were
1. The Steelers defense was suffocating for the most, but Benson had some good runs due to the absence of Hampton.
2. The Steelers showed the ability to get yardage in chunks, but inability to grind out the tough yards on 3rd downs and goal line. (needed to see more McHugh in the backfield blocking.)
3. The Bengals D-line was horrible. No wonder they only have 5 sacks all season.(actually 4 sacks...their SS has the other) I am an O-line honk.....but can only say they played average against a BAD bengals D line.

The Steelers were clearly a better team, but for 3 quarters, they let a bad team hang around. The final score really exaggerated this performance. I hope this was just a case of knocking the rust off from the bye week. Luckily the Giants arent as good as their record indicates and we should be able to handle them at home.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Luckily the Giants arent as good as their record indicates and we should be able to handle them at home.
The Giants have beaten the Redskins, the Bungles, the Rams, the Seahawks and the 49'ers. They lost to the Brown's. They aren't anywhere near as good as their record.

We can beat them.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
The Giants have beaten the Redskins, the Bungles, the Rams, the Seahawks and the 49'ers. They lost to the Brown's. They aren't anywhere near as good as their record.

We can beat them.
Agreed, we most certainly beat them.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:19 AM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

We can beat them.
but yet they're still going to be the best team the steelers have faced so far.when the Giants are clicking, they're a very dangerous team, and can put a whoopin on anyone. just like the steelers , they play good games, they play sloppy games.lets just hope the sloppy G-men come to the burg next week.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote