Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Moore scores big!

Moore is pretty darn good for a backup imo.

Quote:
Running back Mewelde Moore's 3 touchdowns pace Steelers' easy victory

"Even as we were shooting ourselves in the foot a little bit in the first half. I thought we were controlling the line of scrimmage." -- Mike Tomlin, Steelers coach

Steelers running back Mewelde Moore scores on a two-yard touchdown pass against the Bengals in the first half yesterday in Cincinnati.

CINCINNATI -- October games, December games, playoff games and meaningless games. Close games, wipeouts, overtimes. There are many ways to skin a cat, and the Steelers have used them all when they've played the Bengals in Paul Brown Stadium.

The Steelers won their eighth in a row in PBS (PittsBurgh Stadium?), something the Bengals have never done. Yesterday's 38-10 rout came late, but it seemed only a matter of time before the Steelers exerted themselves in this town again.

"Here in a hostile environment against a division opponent on the road -- we don't take those for granted," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said after a late, three-touchdown explosion by his team. "We're glad to get a win. We'll put it with the rest of them."

They are 5-1 with the next four of five at home, starting with the Super Bowl champions Sunday.

If the Steelers were looking past the winless Bengals (0-7) to the New York Giants, it was only apparent in the second quarter when they hit a lull after a fast start.

The rest of the game, they were dominant.

"For whatever reason, we just seemed to dissolve in every area," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said of the Steelers' 21-point outburst in the final quarter.

Halfback Mewelde Moore pulled off the second-best imitation of the weekend after Tina Fey when he filled in for injured Willie Parker and ran like Willie Parker. As Parker did in the season opener, Moore scored three touchdowns -- two rushing and one receiving -- and topped 100 yards for the first time in a Steelers uniform. He ran 20 times for 120 yards, one game after he got 99 yards in Jacksonville.

"It's awesome to come here, be the new guy, step in, study hard, work hard and see your hard work paying off," said Moore, a free-agent signing from the Vikings this year.

Ben Roethlisberger, who loves playing the Bengals, completed 17 of 28 passes for 216 yards and two touchdowns, the first one of the game to Moore for 2 yards and his last to Nate Washington of 50 yards.

Hines Ward even caught Byron Leftwich's first touchdown pass with the Steelers of 16 yards in the fourth quarter, and Jeff Reed remained perfect on the season when he kicked a 21-yard field goal.

Even better for Roethlisberger, he was not sacked, only the second time that has happened the past two seasons, both against the Bengals. On the other end, the Steelers sacked Cincinnati quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, playing for injured Carson Palmer, seven times with linebackers James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons picking up two apiece.

"Even as we were shooting ourselves in the foot a little bit in the first half," Tomlin said, "I thought we were controlling the line of scrimmage."

They led by just 10-7 at halftime, a surprising score seeing how they dominated play.

They moved 75 yards in nine plays to open the game, two of them long passes on third down from Roethlisberger to Ward for 29 yards and to Santonio Holmes for 32 yards. The latter put the ball on the 2 and Roethlisberger deftly faked a handoff to Najeh Davenport, rolled quickly right and hit Moore wide open in the end zone for a 7-0 lead.

Things looked so easy in the first quarter that the Steelers may have gotten a little greedy.

Harrison and Aaron Smith blew up an end-around for a 15-yard loss and then a 15-yard punt gave the Steelers a first down at the Bengals' 30. They moved to a first down at the 3, but then three consecutive passes fell incomplete and Reed came on to make it 10-0 with a 21-yard field goal near the end of the first quarter.

Cincinnati did not get a first down in its first five series, then strung together seven of them on their sixth possession. The drive carried 92 yards on 14 plays and ended with Johnson's 5-yard catch for a touchdown.

So, while the Steelers dominated the Bengals early, they did not take sufficient advantage to lead by more than three points at halftime.

"There was disappointment in the way we played, disappointment the game was that close," safety Ryan Clark said. "Not because of Cincinnati's record or who they were, but because of the opportunities we were giving them in first half."

The Steelers' first drive of the second half produced their second touchdown and a 17-7 lead. Moore scored again, taking a hand-off on third down and, behind an outstanding trap block from guard Darnell Stapleton, ran untouched around left end for 13 yards and the score.

The Bengals responded with a 26-yard field goal by Dave Rayner to make it a one-touchdown game again at 17-10 late in the third quarter.

Midway through the final period, though, all doubt ended. From the 50, Roethlisberger faked a hand-off and lofted a pass at least 60 yards in the air. Washington had cornerback Geoff Pope, signed Friday from Cincinnati's practice squad, beaten by a step.

"We saw something on the sideline that we thought we could take advantage of," Roethlisberger said. "I used play-action, got the safety to kind of sit there, looked him down and the next thing I know Nate's just taking off. He's so fast the only thing I could think of was to throw it out there and let him run under it."

Washington caught the ball over his shoulders in the middle of the end zone.

It was 24-10 with 8:17 left and there was little chance the Bengals would score twice, not the way the Steelers' defense was playing.

Timmons sacked Fitzpatrick to end the next Cincinnati series. A 38-yard pass interference penalty and three plays later, Moore ran 2 yards to make it 31-10.

Leftwich replaced Roethlisberger on the next series and completed the rout with his touchdown toss to Ward.

"There is room for us to improve," Ward said. "We've got a lot of guys banged up, and we have a tough stretch of games ahead of us."

There is relief at the end of that stretch, though, because the Steelers' fourth home game in the next five is against the Bengals.
Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.
First published on October 20, 2008 at 12:00 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08294/921335-66.stm

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396
Default Re: Moore scores big!

Moore is earning his spot on the roster. He has yet to disappoint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Gimme sum mo.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Moore did an excellent job and while he had a few hit the line and fall moments, he's really good at bouncing things outside.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Brings up a good situation next season when Mendy returns.
Who keep second spot on the roster.
Of right now of course i would say Moore, he has experience and is playing well.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
shovelnose
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3241

I was very impressed with Moore. It's like nobody was injured on the running back corps.

Quote:
Even better for Roethlisberger, he was not sacked, only the second time that has happened the past two seasons, both against the Bengals.
Lol. We should play them every week to extend Bens career.
shovelnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:11 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,327 Times in 1,414 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

With Parker coming back soon it will be interesting to see how we work more into the offense we should see alot more screen passes then we have in the past.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:17 AM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
With Parker coming back soon it will be interesting to see how we work more into the offense we should see alot more screen passes then we have in the past.
I wonder if we bring will bring moore in on a third down... and if we get the first down... shift right into a no-huddle offense.

Moore seems more gifted to play a no-huddle style than Willie. Willie is more of the thoroughbread, Moore seems teh workhorse.

By that I mean, You bring Willie in on running plays and play actions because he is the homerun threat EVERY TIME he touches the ball.

When you go to a no-huddle, you bring in moore because he is a little more solid in the pass catching part of the game... but can still hold his own in running.

Personally... I LOVE our RB stable right now... and would think of them like this (when all is healthy)

1. Willie.
2. Mende.. relieve will and also become the short yard back.
4. Moore.. 3rd down and no-huddle, two minute offense back.

with the age of all three backs, we could hold on to them for YEARS... save wear and tear on all three backs as well.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Oh and I did start Moore in my Fantasy League.

Give me some Moore!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
TailgateMel
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8498

[QUOTE=stlrtruck;458188]Oh and I did start Moore in my Fantasy League.

[QUOTE]

I have him too :)

I like his hands, and I hope we continue to use him in that fashion once Willie is back. We need more short passes.

Mel
TailgateMel is offline   Reply With Quote