Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default What Powell's Endorsement Really Means...

First off, make no mistake about it, Colin Powell finally making it official that he endorses Obama is a blow to McCain. He has a lot of support from centrist Republicans and Independents.

But it could have been a bigger blow. Everyone has known since August he was going to endorse Obama, but he held back, and I think he did so out of a little lingering deference to his party. It's also no secret that Powell is not pleased that he was made to be the scapegoat by going in front of the UN with what later turned out to be bad intel. The fact that it was intel from all over the World and the best info we had at the time has been so marginalized by Bush's opponents over the years as to almost being revisionist history no longer matters. What people NOW remember is that it was " a lie". It wasn't, but perception is 9/10th of reality, so...

Back on task. I think Powell is endorsing Obama as a big and final "Eff you!" to Bush...but at least he had the good sense to wait until the very end when his endorsement is more of a bazooka blast instead of a nuke.

I think it's worth a couple points, though, and a couple points is all i takes in a close race.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225
Default Re: What Powell's Endorsement Really Means...

I doubt most of the people going to vote democrat even know who he is. It won't matter a wit.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

The people voting Democrat were voting Democrat anyway. If you're talking about the rank and file, working class and poor, they vote for what their Union rep or local paper tells them to vote for.

But if you are talking about Independents and undecided's, this is huge. Powell carries a lot of weight amongst centrist republicans AND Democrats and moderates in general.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Though no surprise to me at all, I believe Powell's endorsement of Obama will sting a little but won't really make that much of a difference in the end result. McCain is gaining on Obama and if he keeps on playing his cards right over the next two weeks, J-Mac has a very legitimate shot to win the White House.

I've lived in the Burgh burbs almost all of my life and I can say with complete honesty that I've never seen an outpouring of Republican support for a candidate like I'm seeing in this election, particularly in areas that are known Demo strongholds.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Politics aside....as a Veteran of the first Persian Gulf War...I'm not a big fan of General Powell.

We were blessed to have a leader in the field (Schwarzkopf) who KNEW that politicians get American soldiers killed and that politicians hamper objectives.

As a matter of public record....the CIA After Action Evaluation shows that half of the Republican Guard Armor escaped our forces... including the Hammurabi Division. All the Military leaders were aware of this and Schwarzkopf was prepared to go directly to Bahgdad and eliminate any future threat.

In my judgement, the most important figure in making the decision to end the war prematurely without completing that military objectives.... was General Powell. Certainly it was the elder Bush's responsibility... but he deferred to the judgement of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs .

Powell's advice may have been decisive but in the light of history turned out to be bad advice. Judging the American military by its own criteria.... its own standards.... its own goals.... to destroy the Republican Guard...Powell failed in his duty to the troops by bowing to political pressure.

For those of us who have read Schwarzkopf's book...you can see that Powell is not held in high regards by the General...mostly due to Powell's folding to political opinion and his failure to allow the soldiers in the field to achieve all objectives.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,654 Times in 4,010 Posts

as soon as iraq started lobbing SCUDS into israel and saudi arabia, the objective shoulda immediately changed from liberating kuwait to toppling baghdad. schwarzkopf knew this. its sad he was ignored. that war was like getting a 2 minute hand job with an oven mit.

with that being said, i think powell endorsing obama lends him alot of credibility. it most certainly cant hurt. on "meet the press" he practically said obama has that "it" factor.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Member Number: 9337

So, 2 threads on the same topic?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
...he practically said obama has that "it" factor.

I dont know at this point if Powell's endorsement will change anyones opinion....If you lean right...Obama is still too far left for Powell to make a difference....and if you lean left it only gives fodder to throw at the right...

...non-factor.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Disagree again. Powell is a galvanizing force for MY voting bloc: Centrists who lean right fiscally and left socially. There are a lot of us out there, and many are still undecided.

His endorsement means nothing to me personally because it's just sour grapes, but a lot of people have a lot of respect for Powell.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Yeah, people who are Left or Right, are not going to be swayed to much. But this could have a big impact for moderates and they are the ones who decide elections. I have alot of respect for Powell, but I am still voting for McCain.

I doubt McCain has much of a shot anymore though, and if Obama does get elected, I'd like to see Powell back in office.