Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #21
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: Nothing dirty about Ward's rugged play

i am astonished people out there are upset with that block. rivers was ahead of the ball carrier for Christ sake. he was right in the middle of the play, ready to knock moore out of bounds.. moore was able to pick up and extra couple yards because of that block. people saying rivers was out of the play just sound delusional and are speaking with blatant bias. for the first time ever, defenders are the ones taking the hits.. and they are crying like babies because of it.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #22
steelin games
Water Boy

Member Number: 2748
Default Hit or be Hit

This is a question that was asked to Vic Ketchman on Jaguars.com. This is the best answer I have seen to what type of player we have in Ward. This is why I love putting on my Hines Ward jersey on game day!!!!!

Kevin from Orange Park, FL
Whatís your reaction to Hines Ward breaking rookie LB Keith Riversí jaw? I, for one, think Hines Ward is a dirty player. Seems to me most games he purposely stirs up trouble and takes cheap hits.

Vic: Iíve watched the hit up close and in slow motion several times. Iíve even stopped the action at the point of impact. The block is clearly made with his right shoulder and there are no signs of using the helmet as a weapon. Wardís feet are on the ground and he is in no way guilty of launching. At first I thought the block might be unnecessary but, on further review, it clearly springs the ball-carrier around the corner and denies Rivers the ability to make the tackle. Dirty? Whatís dirty about it? There was no flag thrown. Fine him? They should pin a medal on him. In my time covering this game, I have seen head-hunting defensive backs try to cripple defenseless receivers. I saw Jack Tatum and George Atkinson target Lynn Swann; head-shot him repeatedly and even attack him from behind and karate chop him in the back of the neck. I saw Tatum cripple Daryl Stingley for life in a preseason game. I saw Thom Darden hit a receiver over the middle so hard I thought the guy was dead. I remember seeing Jaguars cornerback Dave Thomas crush Jerry Rice in a preseason game and celebrate as though it was the play that won the Super Bowl. In the preseason? How about the launch job on Anquan Boldin a few weeks ago? Well, finally, a wide receiver has come along who has decided to hit back. Ward is striking a blow for all the defenseless receivers over the years whoíve been targeted by defensive players with an intent to punish. All of a sudden, the hunters have become the hunted. I think everyone in the league is waiting to see what the league does about the Rivers hit. Itís going to define what the game has become and where itís going.
steelin games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #23
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
"Too bad he can't hit someone face up," Bengals safety Chinedum Ndukwe said. "It's the type of guy he is. He's a blind-side guy. That's all right. We play them again."
then all pass rushers in the NFL better stop sacking QBs from their blind side.

like DBs don't come across the middle hitting receivers. Chinedum Ndukwe should be extremely embarrassed for making such a comment.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #24
jasonhightower
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7798
Default Re: Hit or be Hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelin games View Post
Vic: Iíve watched the hit up close and in slow motion several times. Iíve even stopped the action at the point of impact. The block is clearly made with his right shoulder and there are no signs of using the helmet as a weapon. Wardís feet are on the ground and he is in no way guilty of launching. At first I thought the block might be unnecessary but, on further review, it clearly springs the ball-carrier around the corner and denies Rivers the ability to make the tackle. Dirty? Whatís dirty about it? There was no flag thrown. Fine him? They should pin a medal on him. In my time covering this game, I have seen head-hunting defensive backs try to cripple defenseless receivers. I saw Jack Tatum and George Atkinson target Lynn Swann; head-shot him repeatedly and even attack him from behind and karate chop him in the back of the neck. I saw Tatum cripple Daryl Stingley for life in a preseason game. I saw Thom Darden hit a receiver over the middle so hard I thought the guy was dead. I remember seeing Jaguars cornerback Dave Thomas crush Jerry Rice in a preseason game and celebrate as though it was the play that won the Super Bowl. In the preseason? How about the launch job on Anquan Boldin a few weeks ago? Well, finally, a wide receiver has come along who has decided to hit back. Ward is striking a blow for all the defenseless receivers over the years whoíve been targeted by defensive players with an intent to punish. All of a sudden, the hunters have become the hunted. I think everyone in the league is waiting to see what the league does about the Rivers hit. Itís going to define what the game has become and where itís going.
I don't think anyone could of made a better point than Vic.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #25
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

that was a good response by vic... it stupid that def players are bitching about what watd is doing, when they do it all the time.. what panzy's they are

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #26
Hines4ever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
Personal Foul, unnecessary whining.

Half the distance to shut the hell up.
Hines4ever is offline   Reply With Quote