Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-21-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default McFadden has surgery, out at least five games

Steelers Notebook: McFadden has surgery, out at least five games
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Cornerback Bryant McFadden will miss at least five games with a broken forearm, injured in the fourth quarter Sunday against the Bengals.

McFadden had surgery on his arm yesterday morning.

McFadden arrived at the Steelers' training site yesterday with his right arm in a sling and what appeared to be a soft cast. He was injured on the same play in which safety Troy Polamalu left with a head injury.

Doctors likely will want to evaluate Polamalu as the week goes on. Coach Mike Tomlin said Sunday night that Polamalu was "dinged" after his helmet flew off his head when he hit Cincinnati Bengals running back Cedric Benson.

Polamalu has had at least six concussions playing high school, college and pro football, most recently Nov. 12, 2006 against New Orleans.

Deshea Townsend likely will return to start at left cornerback, where he began the season, and William Gay would move up as the nickel back because of McFadden's injury.

When Polamalu left the game in Cincinnati, veteran Tyrone Carter replaced him.

Sack attack
James Harrison is tied with former Steelers linebacker Joey Porter for second in the NFL with 8.5 sacks, one spot behind DeMarcus Ware (9.0) of Dallas. LaMarr Woodley is fourth with 7.5.

Harrison, Woodley and Lawrence Timmons had two sacks apiece in the seven-sack onslaught of Cincinnati quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

"They are really tough up front," Fitzpatrick said. "I kept saying throughout the week that they were relentless. That's what people were telling me. That's what I could see on film and they are. At the end of the game they pinned their ears back and came after us. They are definitely a good defense. There is a reason why they are consistently in the top five or 10 in the league every year."

Bengals: Good hit
Not all of the Bengals thought Hines Ward's block that broke linebacker Keith Rivers' jaw was illegal.

"It's part of the game," Cincinnati linebacker Brandon Johnson said. "It was a good block. If I was in Hines Ward's shoes, I probably would have taken the same shot. You can't really blame him. But like I said, if he was playing quarterback, then there would have been a flag."

Quick hits
The Steelers have allowed 89 points, second fewest in the NFL only to Tennessee's 66. ... They rank No. 1 on defense, allowing 228.3 yards per game -- No. 1 against the pass at 158.7 and No. 2 against the run at 69.7. ... Kicker Jeff Reed is 10 of 10 on field-goal attempts, one of only four kickers in the league perfect on every try with at least 10 made
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08295/921511-66.stm
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: McFadden has surgery, out at least five games

This sucks, but we do have a veteran corner waiting in the wings in Townsend so I think we'll be OK.

Get Well Soon B-Mac - we're gonna need you down the stretch!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,642 Times in 4,008 Posts

horrible!

this wont kill us but it definitely doesnt help.

heres to gay, stepping it up. (and us maybe signing mcfadden a little cheaper after the season)
Old 10-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
NyGiantz
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8211

How has he played for you guys this year? Is it a huge loss or just a blip?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
STEELtownHAVOX
Starter

Member Number: 6464

B-Mac is on a contract year and was playing really well. Deshea should fill back in nicely though.
STEELtownHAVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

This totally sucks.

Townsend was sitting on the bench for a reason, and with Troy hurt too that means Lord Tyrone will out there missing tackles.

Great - just great.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

So Anthony Smith is so much in the doghouse, he isn't even getting a chance? I know he gets burnt once in awhile, but he has got to be better than Tyrone Carter. I didn't get to see Tyrone play this weekend because I only saw the first half in bits and pieces. Did he play all right?

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Hey, this is why it was a good thing that we had a sort of controversy at the CB spot going into the season. We've basically got three guys who could start, so we'll be OK here. Plus from what I've seen of Gay, he's got a lot of talent, so this could be a good opportunity for him.

Wonder where Smith fits in this. I'd hate to see them running Carter's sorry, no-potential-having ass out there again for any length of time. He's just a space filler, and we need to sit him the hell on the bench if we've got a potential up-and-coming guy, no matter how much of a loudmouth he is.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I like Gay.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,949 Times in 1,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I like Gay.
not that there's anything worong with that ....... , but do you have to flaunt it here ? :

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote