Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Lightbulb Who are the Pittsburgh Steelers ?

Are we the team that pulls together in the face of adversity, the team that runs the ball at will no matter what opposing defense tries to conjure up, the team that is unified and egoless, the team that plays mistake free and fundamentally sound football, the team that doesnt beat itself, the team that prides itself on being more physical than the opposition, ...

or

are we the team we have seen the last 3 weeks ?

This is one season that has been crazy from the start... one that has seen us blow out teams and get blown out.. There has not been a year in a LONG time where we have been out physicalled and made so many mistakes and had so many missed opportunities to win games than this year. Injuries aside becuz we have dealt w/ them in the past and our backups have come through, its part of the game.

For me, I am banking on us putting together a 4 game regular season that reflects my first statement rather than the second, and making our run for the post season in traditional Steelers football fashion. It's what we all know can happen and what we all believe in as Steelers fans, that it is never over till its over.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:39 AM   #2
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: Who are the Pittsburgh Steelers ?

well.......i don't know, probably the second one right now, and it's all maddox fault, he started our slide against the jags and then added to it against the ravens.......... but i think we've seen the last of willie as a starter, today he totally screwed it up, not the loss but just him as a feature back, he showed he can't handle it when it matters, fumbled against the jags in OT, fumbled twice today. hopefullly staley will start next week against a very good d. or we'll have another shit game from willie
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:40 AM   #3
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

The past few weeks have frustrated me. The offensive line hasn't played up to par. The switching between Willie, Duce, and Jerome seems like it doesn't let these guys get a flow going. The linebackers haven't played up to where they need to. I think those are the three big problems. Even with that being said I believe we are still that team that can come out swinging and win.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:27 AM   #4
Iron City Hangover
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo
The past few weeks have frustrated me. The offensive line hasn't played up to par. The switching between Willie, Duce, and Jerome seems like it doesn't let these guys get a flow going. The linebackers haven't played up to where they need to. I think those are the three big problems. Even with that being said I believe we are still that team that can come out swinging and win.
Cowher is a poor coach when it comes to personnel decisions. You stick with a running back till he breaks down. FWP had the groove until Cowher stopped him.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
steeler47
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 663

Yea I agree #7 is a soldier.

I was really surprised though....I went to see the Steelers play and everytime they drove down the field to get a score the channel switched or something.... it always cut into a a Ketstone Cops movie.We told the bar manager but he said there was nothing he could do!!

The PITTSBURGH STEELERS...2006 WORLD CHAMPIONS !!!
steeler47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:52 PM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Its probably a confusing time to be a Steeler fan - with Bettis nearing the end of an excellent career the Steelers have had a snap shot of how difficult it will be to replace him.

I dont think its just Steeler fans who are struggling to define their teams identity this year - their coach seems to be having a similar problem.

There is no point in persevering with a smashmouth mentality if you dont have the personnel on the O-Line or in the back field to make it work effectively, the problem being that the Steelers aren't built for shootouts either.

It may well be next year before the Steelers get a chance to re-evaluate their situation and decide on what identity their team is going to take - smashmouth is not dead but they need suitable talent to make it a viable option.

I am a firm believer that to give yourself the best possible chance to win-it-all you need to have a team that is well balanced between offense and defense and the ability to alter your game plan to suit a given situation.

The best examples I can give woud be the Patriots teams of the last 2 years and the Rams of 2001 (even though they lost due to terrible coaching) - both had talent on 'O' and 'D' - both were able to run and pass depending on what the game situation dictated.

If there is any consolation there are not really any teams of the calibre of the 3 teams I mentioned above in this years NFL - most potential SB winners are hugely balanced toward the 'O' (Cincy, Colts, Chargers) or overwhelmingly toward the 'D' (Chicago, Carolina, Bucs)

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Quote:
I am a firm believer that to give yourself the best possible chance to win-it-all you need to have a team that is well balanced between offense and defense and the ability to alter your game plan to suit a given situation.
Rep points to you... thats the thing right there.. the ability to be multi-dimensional and the coaching forsight to make serious adjustments at half time or before the game even starts has been a killer for us..

If we cant run the ball, then everybody and their brother knows it and they just tee off on the passing game. Starting out every game setting the tone for the run is important but being able to mix it up is more important.. if dont make them key on one element then we can effectivly smash mouth in the second half to run out the clock.. but if u cant smash mouth in the first half, you wont have much success in the 2nd half.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

We have definitley lost our identity, and it seems to me that we are struggling to find a new one. It used to be easy, we were a running team that played good defense. Now we dont run that well, and we play horrible defense!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #9
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

I was talking to my wife last nite..and I said things are just different this year.. We used to be able to count on being the Steelers, running on whoever we played, shutting down their run, playing solid ST's, and the QB plays mistake free football..

The last 3 weeks especially, we havent done any of that.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:52 PM   #10
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
I was talking to my wife last nite..and I said things are just different this year.. We used to be able to count on being the Steelers, running on whoever we played, shutting down their run, playing solid ST's, and the QB plays mistake free football..

The last 3 weeks especially, we havent done any of that.
You couldnt be more right, I had a two and a half your drive after the game to ponder the whole thing.