Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Faceoff - Is Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward a dirty player?

baltimoresun.com
Is Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward a dirty player?
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...5355301.column

Faceoff

7:05 AM EDT, October 24, 2008

Not above cheap shots

By Bill Ordine

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward is putting together a potential Hall of Fame career. His 747 receptions, 70 touchdowns, more than 9,100 receiving yards - and counting - plus a Super Bowl ring are the kind of credentials that can earn a guy a gold jacket on a summer day in Canton.

And when the historians reflect on Ward's legacy, the first thing to be said of him is that he was one of the most physical players at his position.

However, there is an asterisk next to Ward's physicality.

Sometimes that hard-hitting play is egregiously outside the rules; his fistful of NFL-levied fines (two already this season) attest to that. And too often, even when his hits are legal, his prey is unsuspecting and, consequently, dangerously vulnerable. Sometimes, those shots are far from the point of attack.

If you don't think that's Ward's MO, consider his own words during a Pittsburgh radio show yesterday. He was talking about the Ravens, and they were reputedly out to get him.

"If I'm on the opposite side of the field, I'm going to try to protect myself and try to whup a guy's tail the whole game," he said. "When the whistle blows, it doesn't matter where you are on the field, it's football."

And as far as hitting guys whose attention is elsewhere, he said mockingly, during the same interview, "Hey, look at me, let me hit you."

There's an argument that goes (as Ward said himself): It's football.

Unfortunately, the cruel reality of pro football is that players' joints are routinely wrenched into permanent distortion and their heads concussed into a foggy future. With all that already at risk, Ward's occasionally gratuitous physical play - more commonly called cheap shots - is unnecessary and a blemish on an otherwise stellar career.

Playing by the rules

By Kevin Van Valkenburg

"Keep your head on a swivel."

Anyone who has played football has had this term drilled into their brain thousands of times. It means, roughly translated, that as a defender, you never pursue a ball carrier without glancing in all directions first. Lock your gaze on the runner, and you're likely to get knocked on your butt by a wide receiver who isn't afraid of contact.

No one does this better than Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, and it's one of the reasons he's one of my favorite football players. (Sorry, Baltimore.) The people who think he's a dirty player - as some suggested last week when Ward crushed Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers and broke his jaw - don't get it. Ward is, in fact, the exact opposite. It's not a cheap shot to hit a defender when he's not looking as long as you do it above the waist.

No one cries foul when defenders hold up a ball carrier so that the third or fourth man arriving on the scene can deliver a nasty lick. And no one raises a stink when defenseless receivers, usually left hanging out to dry by a rookie quarterback, are creamed.

Defenders don't like Ward because he never lets them relax, he's tough as nails and he's impossible to seek retribution against. Ward isn't out to hurt them. He does, however, strike fear in their hearts. And because it's so unusual - especially in this era where prima donnas such as Terrell Owens and Randy Moss reign supreme - it makes defenders furious. The NFL has hinted it's going to keep an eye on Ward, which is ridiculous.

I'd take Ward on my team in a second. And you should, too.

Copyright © 2008, The Baltimore Sun
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
HereWeGoSteelers219
Starter

Member Number: 9324
Default Re: Faceoff - Is Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward a dirty player?

Ward made a great point when he was on PTI. A few years back Ray Lewis throwed a similar blind side block on a field goal return, and ray was praised by Ravens fans and ESPN for it.

All of a sudden, when it happens to your team, it's dirty. Talk about a double standard.
HereWeGoSteelers219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default Re: Faceoff - Is Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward a dirty player?

They don't like us, I'm telling you guys.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
Polamalu43
Team Captain

Member Number: 2665

Who cares what they think about us man really. We are " Rough Rugged and Raw"

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack lambert
Polamalu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Ward plays tough and the league is full of profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter cats.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,556 Times in 3,981 Posts

holy crap. bill ordine is a wuss.

even brian billick loves hines ward, saying if he had 11 hines wards he'd never lose a game.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
holy crap. bill ordine is a wuss.

even brian billick loves hines ward, saying if he had 11 hines wards he'd never lose a game.
If we had 11 Hines Wards, we'd never lose a game.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
ben7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9960

Best all around reciever.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,936 Times in 1,668 Posts

here's the hines ward PTI video.....

http://videos.espn.com/m/video/21283...m?pageid=14030

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
TeeJay
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7083

And I always thought Football was a contact sport. Gotta be a winner if Defences are whinning about being hit by a Wide Receiver!

Deal with it...The Steelers just have the best pound for pound, hardest hitting WR in the League.......who also just happens to be one of the best catchers, movers and general playmakers, in the League as well. And he wears Black and Gold my friends. Black and Gold.

Hines, whatever you do, just don't stop doing it. You're the MAN!
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert. Feb '09 - Hell Yeah, they made the Doughnuts

Last edited by TeeJay; 10-25-2008 at 03:20 PM.
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote