Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #21
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: The Breakdown

any team having there qb throw 4 picks in 1 game will kill there chances 2 win.. ben is a great qb, but i think he needs to check himself once in a while and not get too greedy and try to make things happens.. i mean the past few games he was mistake-free for the most part, and not last night 5 sacks and 4 int's...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #22
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by CargoJon View Post
Two things:

1. The holding penalty on what would have been the 2nd TD pass to Washington. Willie Colon, you cost us this game.
Yeah, Ben throwing 4 INTs (I know 1 was not directly his fault and the other was at the end of the game but it's 4 none-the-less) had nothing to do with us losing.

One play, penalty or otherwise doesn't lose the game. What about a few of those drives that ended because the offense in general couldn't get a 4th down or the defense having sloppy tackling on third downs.

It's not just Willie's fault - it's the entire team effort that cost this L!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #23
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,138 Times in 2,641 Posts

good breakdown dino.

i gotta add the td play to boss. that play to the TE inside the 10 yard line works 9 outta 10 times against the steelers. its the biggest hole in our zone blitz that there isnt any answer for. just a part of the package.

its been that way going back to frank wycheck and the oilers.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #24
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
good breakdown dino.

i gotta add the td play to boss. that play to the TE inside the 10 yard line works 9 outta 10 times against the steelers. its the biggest hole in our zone blitz that there isnt any answer for. just a part of the package.

its been that way going back to frank wycheck and the oilers.
True, it always seems like that's a huge problem for us.

One instance in particular that stands out in my mind is the Atlanta game a couple years ago when Algee Fatass Crumpler went wild on us for 3 TDs and we ultimately lost. It made me want to rip a chair out of my head and throw my hair through the TV screen.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #25
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Pretty good breakdown.

However, I would also remind you that Gay broke up a TD pass just after he blew the coverage, so while he cost us three, he stopped 4 other points. Not bad, should be better, but let's give some credit back to him. After all, we were asking a 4th string player to cover a good receiver on that play, and he was just about a yard off the guy. That can be fixed with experience... hopefully.

The Colon holding penalty that cost us a TD. People. Go back and look at the play. If Colon doesn't tackle that guy, Ben is on his back. It is either a hold or a sack. There is no TD. Period. We need a new RT.

I agree there is just something not right with our offense. However, I still say its the line. It has caused our receivers to always be looking over their shoulders for Ben being in trouble. It has caused our RB's to have to stay in and block someone instead of swinging out farther for a dump. It has caused teams to feel like they can pin their ears back and come after us.

Our receivers also can't take the time to put double-moves on backs, run deep patterns, etc., because chances are, Ben will be on his back.

When you run short plays ALL the time, you can load up, not the box, but the 10 yards from teh LOS.. .and it shuts down the offense. You have to go over the top to change that, and we just don't have the confidence to do that often right now.

We have a start with this line. I really like Kemo and Stapleton at the Guards. They seem to have stablized Hartwig, which hopefully will make him even better. So we have to take care of the two tackle positions in the offseason.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #26
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Ok, I concede that I shouldn't have thrown Gay (who I am a fan of, Big East kid) under the bus. And maybe he should have had help over the top. But I also included lack of any pressure on ELI on a huge 4th down play. That entire Defensive play was a let down. That negated the Goal line stance earlier in the game in my opinion. (Which by the way had me doing my best Gandolph impression screaming at the TV "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" my wife laughed)

Anyway. I broke the game down, and in another play calling thread, I pointed out that our biggest weakness on offense has been on 1st down. Look at it for the entire season, we are not getting enough push on 1st down in the running game or passing game. And the Sacks on 1st down kill drives. As to penalties and incompletions. Just drive killers every time.

I would like to see a little more of the standard 3 wide sets. Less of the bunch stuff, for a change of pace, and more screens, I kind of miss the days of us being the best Screen team in the NFL.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #27
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Ok, I concede that I shouldn't have thrown Gay (who I am a fan of, Big East kid) under the bus. And maybe he should have had help over the top. But I also included lack of any pressure on ELI on a huge 4th down play. That entire Defensive play was a let down. That negated the Goal line stance earlier in the game in my opinion. (Which by the way had me doing my best Gandolph impression screaming at the TV "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" my wife laughed)

Anyway. I broke the game down, and in another play calling thread, I pointed out that our biggest weakness on offense has been on 1st down. Look at it for the entire season, we are not getting enough push on 1st down in the running game or passing game. And the Sacks on 1st down kill drives. As to penalties and incompletions. Just drive killers every time.

I would like to see a little more of the standard 3 wide sets. Less of the bunch stuff, for a change of pace, and more screens, I kind of miss the days of us being the best Screen team in the NFL.
Problem is, you need good lineman to run a screen. I just don't know if we have that yet.

Well, I guess the Defense wouldn't suspect anything when they get passed our line in after a 2 count.!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #28
BozMan
Starter

Member Number: 3027

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
3rd and 4th down conversions were terrible.

Penalties for sure, especially false starts. Ben dosen't help them out any with his long snap counts. Seven games into the season and we are still taking entirely too many pre-snap penalties.

Gotta also agree with the drive in the 3rd being a turning point.

All valid points Dino, except for the giants 4th down play imo. I believe Carter was supposed to give deep help on that one. He was obviously late getting there.
Good point. If guys like Willie Colon cannot stay still in their pre-snap stances, why have long snap counts? Just increases the chances of someone moving too soon.

On a related note, I remember there being a graphic during the Jax game stating that we lead the league in delay of game penalties. Not good, and another reason to not have a long snap count.

I guess the upside of a long snap count is that it gives Ben more time to read the defense and audible to another play or protection scheme. But it also gives the D more time to adjust as well.
BozMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #29
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976

Not gonna beat the Offensive drum anymore everyone's talking about it. I will beat on the Defensive drum though, best in the league by far. I am more confident of getting points on the board from the D's play right now than I am from the O. Nice Breakdown on the stats by the way!
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #30
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Problem is, you need good lineman to run a screen. I just don't know if we have that yet.

Well, I guess the Defense wouldn't suspect anything when they get passed our line in after a 2 count.!
They aren't even trying to run screens though, that bothers the heck out of me. Willie is great on screens, or at least he was when we ran them, and Moore is steady in them too, he's used to running them. Draws as well. But not the 3rd and long draws, I'm talking a 2nd and short when we have the bunch formation and the defense is looking pass, how about a draw, or something with the freaking imagination.

I mean, if we aren't going to line up in an I formation and dare people to stop us, at least run some imaginative stuff on downs the defense is pinning its ears back.

Seriously. I've been refraining from bashing the play calling, but dang it, in both our losses, it was the Offense that was the major let down, and that goes from the center all the way up to the guy calling the plays.