Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
SteelMusic
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 9792
Default There Is A Problem!

Please here me out before saying its a fire Ariens thread and I should be shot. But there is a problem here if we open our eyes and just take a look.

Our Defense is the best in the league, hands down. Our offense has a ton of weapons, I mean we are actually stacked on offense.

Now...our Offensive line isn't the best. However, there were several plays that Ben did have plenty of time and for some reason he held on to the ball. Since they didn't show a replay of the receivers down the field, I'm not sure if it was because they were not getting open or what. But I do know that for some reason Ben is holding on to the ball way to long.

What ever the problem is I think we can all agree that this offense has problems. Now why are they not being addressed?

If we could get our offense together we would be about the best damn team in the league, and with all of the weapons we have there is no reason why we should be!

Someone needs to address this problem and get it fixed quick. With the defense playing this good this year, it would be a shame to let this offense throw away a potential Super Bowl season!

Your thoughts?
SteelMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
HereWeGoSteelers219
Starter

Member Number: 9324
Default Re: There Is A Problem!

Recievers are dogging routes.
HereWeGoSteelers219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Let's go no-huddle 24-7.

It's all about execution. There are 11 men on the field. Most of them need to do their jobs adequetely in order for the rest to complete the play. It all starts with the five big lards up front. We'll win or lose by the standard of play they bring to the field.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
HereWeGoSteelers219
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman16 View Post
Let's go no-huddle 24-7.

It's all about execution. There are 11 men on the field. Most of them need to do their jobs adequetely in order for the rest to complete the play. It all starts with the five big lards up front. We'll win or lose by the standard of play they bring to the field.
The offensive line takes way to much heat. they;re not great, but they aren't bad. Our RB's have had productive days ever game except that Philly game, and half of the sacks are because Ben holds onto it too long, which, IMO, is because the WR's are dogging the routes.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Does Arians need fired? Possibly AFTER the season. But in no way should we fire our offensive coordinator half way through a season when we're sitting at 5-2 on top of the division.

Arians has done some good things. He streamlined the playbook. Under Cowher it just got bigger as the various offensive coordinators simply added to it and nothing was ever removed.

Arians changed the language in the playbook so things easier to say and remember.

We don't know exactly how much of the playcalling is Arians and how much is Tomlin. I would assume most of it comes from Arians, but none of us know how much influence Tomlin has over it.

However, I do think that we need to run the no huddle as our basic offense. Ben is smart enough to run it and loves to run it. We move the ball more effectivley when using it.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGoSteelers219 View Post
The offensive line takes way to much heat. they;re not great, but they aren't bad. Our RB's have had productive days ever game except that Philly game, and half of the sacks are because Ben holds onto it too long, which, IMO, is because the WR's are dogging the routes.
Maybe because they're waiting for Ben to get hit and throw in 1.5 seconds?

How far can you get in that same amount of time? Didn't think so.

Edit, before everyone marks me off as an O-line hater, I think they played a decent game. They did have some brain farts, but overall they didn't suck as bad as against Philly.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,430 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
I didn't really think the OL played that badly today, overall. Ben was off and so were the receivers.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
HereWeGoSteelers219
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman16 View Post
Maybe because they're waiting for Ben to get hit and throw in 1.5 seconds?

How far can you get in that same amount of time? Didn't think so.
Ben had all day today. The only real sack from the O-Line was at the end of the half. Stop defending Ben. He holds onto it too long. Face it. Every game there are at least 3 instances where he is not on the same page as the WR's and throws it where no one is at. It's a problem.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Um, this offensive line is VERY BAD. The receivers don't commit holding or false start penalties. The receivers don't let the defense blow right past them untoched,

I agree part of the problem is Ben holds onto the ball to long, and part of that is receivers dogging their routes at times. However, when Ben has to start scrambling because he can't complete his dropback without pressure...that puts more pressure on receivers to get open quicker, break off their routes and start scrambling themselves.

The offensive woes start with those five lard arses up front that couldn't block their way out of a wet paper bag. The FO needs to look into finding some QUALITY offensive linemen.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
GermericanSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 7958

It's a little bit of everything.

1)The receivers dogging the routes, but I think it's a lot more of the route's they are told to run. They're not fooling anyone.
2)Dropped passes.
3)Dropped passes.
4)The plays are called as though we still have a 250 pound RB in the backfield. Moore had the most success when running to the outside....but only a few of those plays were called. Rushing a small back in the middle all the time will work against bad defenses. It doesn't work against great defenses.
5)Where is the creativity? Going back in the same bucket all the time and hoping for a defensive screwup or a lucky play? Defenses know what we are going to do all the time. Look at what Miami did to the Patriot's defense when they changed up their offensive scheme.
6)Roethlisberger is losing his confidence. I think he's holding on to the ball because he is afraid of being intercepted. Guess what, he held on to the ball today and threw 4.
7)I don't remember having these problems under Wisenhunt.
8)What happened to the bootleg????????

*Edit - and I almost forgot. How many more players are we going to lose to injury?
GermericanSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote