Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832
Default I miss Russ Grimm

Not to sound all pessimistic, im still 100 percent behind them nor do i wish i had this and that. Im a realist, so i deal with whats given. But I miss Russ Grimm. I dont know who is the coach right now, but I see an immense difference. I no longer see that mean, punishing pounding and blocking that the steelers had when they ran the ball. That type of swagger that when they steelers snapped the ball, you saw the line pushing forward knowing it was a run and there wasnt a damn thing you can do about it. I know we dont have the same line as a couple of years ago or that we dont have the bus, but I'm sure that the coaching philosophy and aggerssiveness is not there as it was when Grimm was there.

Take for example the cowgirls last year. Sparano was the O line coach while garret was the O coordinator. The cowboys managed to run the ball extremely effectively and punished everyone that tried to stop them, they were more emphasized on running and depended on the run. You see them this year with Sparano gone and the Cowboys just try to sling the ball all the time and were even criticized for not utilizing barber. And you see the Fins this year, from 1-15 to a hell of a competitor in the league. Funny coincidence how the team is such a force because of their offensive line and running game, and a head coach who emphasizes on the O line.

Like I said its just my 2 cents and not showing pessimism. Any agreements or comments gladly welcome. But honestly, the physicality is still there, but it can get better.

Steelers For Life

made by steelman16

Last edited by XxKnightxX; 10-27-2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: misleading
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: I miss Russ Grimm

This offensive line started it's way to suck in 2006 when Russ Grimm was still here.

I think part of the problem is we haven't had stability. We're on our third center in as many years. We've got two guys playing gaurd who were backups last year in Kemoeatu and Stapelton.

Willie Colon is garbage. Max Starks may not be much better, but at least the guy with more upside and making the big bucks would be starting.

Another advantage we had was Jerome Bettis in the run game. When there was no hole, he often made one. He moves piles all by himself. We don't have a back like that right now.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

I agree with the 06 season statement man, Im pretending that season never happened because I hate to say it but all the coaches from Cowher to Grimm to Whisenhunt were just waiting to get it over with. Horribel season still love the chin hopefully he comes back to us :0). Anyway man I agree, we need a stable line. We seriously either gotta develop these guys or start looking in the draft in which we got no luck last draft. But i hope these guys get it together or else Big Ben will be in shambles within years.

made by steelman16
Old 10-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

I'd miss Grimm if he could go out on the feild and block better than Colon. Other than that these guys are proffesionals, no matter what O-line coach you have, they need to step up.

Blocking could be broke down in 4 simple aspects......Bring back Grim and put him in a RT!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

haha I bet grimm and dan deiodorf will step in there without a problem haha. But I dont know, I saw a video once on Russ Grimm when he coached and i loved his philosophy, just how he motiened ward in almost every running play as if it was a 2nd fullback in the play

made by steelman16
Old 10-27-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Yep,

we are actually seeing Tomlin and Co. trying to clean up Grimm's Oline problems now.

I am glad he isn't with us. Our line had to be more flexible. It seems that we have, just over the last two ro three games, finally built a base for the O line to build on.

Sure, we have a long way to go. However, I think we do have a foundation.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

lol its not the run blocking thats the problem every single game ben is getting killed when he drops back to pass.

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,306 Times in 1,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Yep,

we are actually seeing Tomlin and Co. trying to clean up Grimm's Oline problems now.

I am glad he isn't with us. Our line had to be more flexible. It seems that we have, just over the last two ro three games, finally built a base for the O line to build on.

Sure, we have a long way to go. However, I think we do have a foundation.
grimms problems? you meen colbert and cowhers problems? i doubt grimm had anything to do with the personel descisions.....your only as good as the tools you have to work with.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I really don't think the O-line played poorly against the Giants. I will say that IMO Colon has not shown marked improvement, and continues to hurt us with penalties and sacks.

Ben had a bad game against the Giants. I liked the way he stayed in the pocket, but at times was furious he didn't run out of the pocket (easy for me to say, huh). Ben looked confused at times and held the ball too long.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #10
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

The O Line has been going down hill since 2004... And has gotten worse each year.. The line actually is starting to look better with injuries to simmons and smith and getting better backups in. Going against a top rush D like the Giants and not giving up 10 sacks is better believe me. We lost that game because of QB play and penality calls.. And you can blame Ben for half his sacks every year..
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote