Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #11
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Re: Da Bearz R coming to town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalukiSteelers
Why go with Grossman? The team has won, like, seven-straight, haven't they? Hell, with just his starts this season, Orton may be the more experienced QB. If I were the Bears coaches, I'd ride out the season with the kid under center and worry about who's starting next season. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Why change it? Because anything's got to be better than kyle orton. The thing is, it is broke. The offense is broken because of Orton's horrendous play. It's not like Orton's been winning these games for them...he's been doing everything he can to help them lose but their defense always bails them out. If they could get anything resembling a QB back there, they might have a shot at a super bowl run.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:35 PM   #12
Dennis
Water Boy

Member Number: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalukiSteelers
Why go with Grossman? The team has won, like, seven-straight, haven't they? Hell, with just his starts this season, Orton may be the more experienced QB. If I were the Bears coaches, I'd ride out the season with the kid under center and worry about who's starting next season. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Why change it? Because anything's got to be better than kyle orton. The thing is, it is broke. The offense is broken because of Orton's horrendous play. It's not like Orton's been winning these games for them...he's been doing everything he can to help them lose but their defense always bails them out. If they could get anything resembling a QB back there, they might have a shot at a super bowl run.
Actually, considering the conditions that he was thrown into the starting slot under (no pre-season prep), Orton has done as well as anyone could possibly ask. He has been constrained by three factors in his QB play.
  1. Kyle was a "shotgun QB" in college. He never really learned a 3-5 step drop. So his footwork has sucked, resulting in a lot of bad, off-balance throws.
  2. Outside of Moose, he has no legitimate deep WR weapon. Kind of tough to go deep if your only receiver is constantly covered.
  3. The entire Bears Wide Receiver Corps has a tough time holding onto the good passes he does throw to them.

The coaches appeared to have Kyle's footwork fixed at the Carolina game. His passing was smooth and accurate, right into the receivers hands. Unfortunately, this is when we found out that all of our receivers have a bad case of the "dropsies."

In the Tampa game, the Bucs elite Defense targetted Orton because he was a rookie. But they failed to force rookie mistakes out of him. Da Bears also played "max protect" to help keep Kyle from turning over the ball. That kept in the RBs & TEs to help with the blocking, often leaving Orton with a single WR going out. Pretty easy for Tampa to cover. But Kyle showed real veteran cool in the pocket. Several times when the play was busted, Kyle avoided the blitz and managed some decent rushing for the first time this season (20 yds on 3 carries).

So Kyle's actually developing pretty quickly in a lot of aspects. He's been able to read Defenses well, avoid the blitz, rush, look down his receivers surprisingly well, they even let him audible plays at scrimmage. He seems to be right on the edge of putting it all together and having a breakout game. Now that we've gotten beefed up @ WR, he just might show something against Pittsburgh.

As to "why fix what ain't broke" and play Grossman? First of all, no one is suggesting that we bench Orton. But if Grossman's healthy enough to play, why not rotate him in for a couple of series? Orton's had nothing but unending pressure at QB all season. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually slowing his development. If we can take some of that pressure off by adding Grossman, why not? Give Kyle a chance to catch his breath and work some on his own development, instead of just prepping for the next opponent.

Also, no one is respecting our passing game, partly because we have a rookie QB with low stats. If a vet with better numbers were in, we might finally stretch out Defenses a little on the field and avoid constantly seeing 8-9 in the box. That would make the Running Backs jobs much easier...
Old 12-05-2005, 10:26 PM   #13
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I'm wondering when Tampa's Defense became "Elite" again...It used to be, but, like Georgetown University, they are running on reputation now. It still seems to be fooling people, though.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:12 AM   #14
SalukiSteelers
Starter

Location: Live in Carbondale, IL, USA, home of the SIU Salukis.
Member Number: 844

Nice postings, Dennis. Insightful and well thought out.

As for Canstop85, I'm not saying that Orton is all that good. In fact, the Bears offense stinks but if they are winning games with a guy who is getting more experience every game.

Is it a perfect situation? Well, record aside, probably not but I don't see how a rusty Grossman makes anything better. Yeah, the Bears don't have a good quarterback. Neither did the Ravens when they won it all.

He might be trying to lose games but he's not losing them. Call me crazy but I figure if you've got an eight-game winning streak, something is working.

Besides, what happens if Grossman gets hurt again? Then, if it's serious, you're down a QB next season. Screw it, I'd let it ride. Hopefully he flames out against the Steelers.
SalukiSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:28 AM   #15
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

just signed up on your forum tonite dude, you have a pretty cool place over there...
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:38 AM   #16
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Signed up as well. Nice site you have.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:57 AM   #17
Dennis
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
just signed up on your forum tonite dude, you have a pretty cool place over there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo
Signed up as well. Nice site you have.
Thanks guys. It's just an itty-bitty forum, but I'm working on growing it bigger. I'd like to do it without as much negativism as I see on some other Bears forums. Like the "Quarterback Controversy." It gets old listening over and over again to the same trolls calling for Orton to be benched. I'm trying to get a more positive attitude going, after all, da Bears are 9-3!

I like this Steelers forum as well. I'll be encouraging my members to come and post here...
Old 12-06-2005, 07:10 AM   #18
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

You gotta start somewhere. I know from what Blitz and Mike said this site started off pretty small, but it's going strong now. Keep at it and I'm sure you're site will grow.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:30 AM   #19
Dennis
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I'm wondering when Tampa's Defense became "Elite" again...It used to be, but, like Georgetown University, they are running on reputation now. It still seems to be fooling people, though.
Yes, they're "elite." I'd call the #2 ranked Defense in the NFL "elite." (Da Bears are #1 ) I think that Tampa's Offense gets overlooked a lot because Gruden lets the Bucs get sucked into high-scoring contests. Like their wins over Washington and Atlanta. But when da Bears went down to Tampa, they were able to play low-scoring, field-position, ball-control football toe-to-toe with us. Damned near won the game. They should have, they could have tied it at the end & gone into OT if they hadn't missed a fairly easy FG. If Gruden had made just a few play-calls different (like running, not passing on 1st Down on your own 7 yard line), then da Bears wouldn't have won...