Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-29-2008, 01:26 AM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default If it was Obama, would it be a hate crime?

Quote:
A West Hollywood Halloween display showing a likeness of Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin hanging by a noose has caused a furor among some residents who reported it as a hate crime, authorities said Monday.

But Los Angeles County sheriff's officials said the mannequin sporting a beehive hairdo, glasses and a red coat does not rise to the level of a hate crime because it was part of a Halloween display.

"I'm not defending this; I'm not criticizing it. It doesn't rise to the level of hate crime," said Steve Whitmore, spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, who said he went out to the house himself to look at the display this morning.

"Now, if there was a crime against bad taste . . . "

Sgt. Kristin Aloma of the Sheriff's Department's West Hollywood station said that since Sunday she had received five to 10 calls from residents offended by the display. Officials are monitoring the house to make sure the situation doesn't get out of hand, she said.

West Hollywood Mayor Jeffrey Prang said although he recognizes residents' right to free speech, he found the display problematic and felt it should be removed.

"While these residents have the legal right to display Senator John McCain and Governor Sarah Palin in effigy, I strongly oppose political speech that references violence -- real or perceived," Prang said in a statement. "I urge these residents to take down their display and find more constructive ways to express their opinion."

Whitmore said that potential hate crimes are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. If the same display had been made of a Barack Obama-like doll, for example, authorities would have to evaluate it independently, Whitmore said.

"That adds a whole other social, historical hate aspect to the display, and that is embedded in the consciousness of the country," he said, adding he's not sure whether it would be a hate crime. "It would be ill-advised of anybody to speculate on that."

ChadMichael Morrisette, who lives in the house, told a local TV news crew that cars and buses have been stopping near his home and that people have been snapping photos of the Halloween display.

The home's decorations also feature a doll of John McCain surrounded by decorative flames in the chimney, and other more typical Halloween items, such as skeletons and spider webs.

Kim is a Times staff writer.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...0,541630.story
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: If it was Obama, would it be a hate crime?

Just goes to prove the high sensitivity issues of this country and the "me" mentality that has infected society.
It "offended" me and I demand that I be vindicated.
I could be offended every day by things that I read here or things that I see at work - but sooner or later people have to stop being so sensitive or htis country will end up in a hand basket quicker than someone can say, "I guess I should have thought!"

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I think that "display" is in extremely poor taste and the moron who put it up there should take it down out of respect for his neighbor's feelings, but quite honestly, I don't view it as "hating" on McCain/Palin. I view it more as the guy looking for attention by the media and he succeeded.

On the flip side of the coin, however, I do believe that if someone put up a "display" like that of Do Nuttin and Juice, it would have been torn down faster than you can say "present" and the outcry would have been heard all the way here in the Burgh.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
j-dawg
Team Captain

Member Number: 2228

This display is at a house on the corner of Fountain and Orange Grove, right down the street from me. It's always decked out for the various holidays, but I agree, it's in poor taste. The local news station interviewed the residents and they think their making some kind of political statement. Make a donation ass hats, volunteer for the campaign. This seriously is disgusting. On the other side of the roof they've got a great "Nightmare before Christmas" display... to bad they didn't stick to what Halloween is SUPPOSED to be about.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I think that "display" is in extremely poor taste and the moron who put it up there should take it down out of respect for his neighbor's feelings, but quite honestly, I don't view it as "hating" on McCain/Palin. I view it more as the guy looking for attention by the media and he succeeded.

On the flip side of the coin, however, I do believe that if someone put up a "display" like that of Do Nuttin and Juice, it would have been torn down faster than you can say "present" and the outcry would have been heard all the way here in the Burgh.
If these guys want media attention, give them their wish. Vet them as thoroughly as Joe the Plumber. Dig into everything right down to parking tickets.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

"Hate Crime" is one of the most ridiculously idiotic PC travesties ever foisted off on the American public. If I beat up a white guy, I get 3 years, but if I beat up a black guy, I get 20?

Really? Crime is crime...the motivation can never be a sweeping generalized thing and ALWAYS needs to be taken on a case-by-case basis.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Member Number: 9337

I just saw this on the news, stupid, stupid. I see nothing funny, ironic, whatever about hanging Palin by a noose. Of course, not a hate crime, it's a dummy but really lame.
I have to say if it was a fake Obama, it would be even lamer (and haven't there been a few of those too) because of the symbolism - but I have to say it really bums me out that these guys clearly really think this through. Idiots.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,863 Times in 3,719 Posts

hanging palin from a noose in effigy- dumb, uncreative, pretty classless.

having mccain effigy rising from the firey chimney as if he were satan clause himself- creative, a bit more funny, but still pretty tasteless.

osama bin laden is the true enemy here. why not just hang a terrorist looking old towelhead with a giant beard? sure, i guess it could still be labeled a "hate crime" but nobody has any sympathy for bin laden and these guys holiday yard "art" could be appreciated by all.

im gonna hang plastic pink flamingos from nooses in my tree.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

There is no such thing as a hate crime.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Member Number: 9337

While I think the line can be pretty fuzzy, there are indeed such things as hate crimes and IMO they are very obviously so.