Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #21
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555
Default Re: Cut Davenport, Sign Foster

Dookie is the only guy in the leauge that returns a kick off like its a full back dive over left guard.
Been saying all year get someone with some speed, pick a hole and just go fast as you can.... If dookie is making it to the 25 yrd line on average someone with some speed surley could do better. We have the absolute slowest return guy ever.... the oppossing teams must watch film and say what the F*** knowing they don't have to woory one bit about speed and him breaking one...
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #22
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSteel View Post
Dookie is the only guy in the leauge that returns a kick off like its a full back dive over left guard.
Been saying all year get someone with some speed, pick a hole and just go fast as you can.... If dookie is making it to the 25 yrd line on average someone with some speed surley could do better. We have the absolute slowest return guy ever.... the oppossing teams must watch film and say what the F*** knowing they don't have to woory one bit about speed and him breaking one...
I agree Dookie blows as a returner, but there was no appreciable difference in our effectiveness on returns with Santo back there either. We need a new STs coach just as much as a legit returner.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #23
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,468 Times in 1,636 Posts

Davenport is fine as a KR. Something to be said about a guy that hangs onto the ball and gets it to the 30 and beyond. Not many tacklers want to step in front of a 250lb guy on the run, but put a 180lb guy there and they salivate at the chance of hitting him.

We do need a punt returner.

Either way, Davenport wont be here next season, but isnt hurting us on kickoffs.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #24
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSteel View Post
. We have the absolute slowest return guy ever.......
Davenport is not slow. He is a long strider, that runs too upright. He was a highschool sprinter and was on the Miami (Fl) track team also.

also won four letters (1998-2001) as a sprinter on the Miami track team, competing in the 100-meter dash and 4x100 relay…was a member of the Hurricanes’ 4x100 relay team that was the 1999 Big East champion
http://news.steelers.com/Team/Player%7C206

There is a difference between being fast and quick.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:34 AM   #25
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Davenport is not slow. He is a long strider, that runs too upright. He was a highschool sprinter and was on the Miami (Fl) track team also.

also won four letters (1998-2001) as a sprinter on the Miami track team, competing in the 100-meter dash and 4x100 relay…was a member of the Hurricanes’ 4x100 relay team that was the 1999 Big East champion
http://news.steelers.com/Team/Player%7C206

There is a difference between being fast and quick.
Sure popped that load in the closet pretty quick. Maybe his talents don't lie in the NFL.

I don't mind Dookie returning kicks, but we really need a good punt returner.

And 76 is right. When's the last time anyone here's seen a halfway decent wedge?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:47 AM   #26
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,894 Times in 1,632 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Dookie hasn't showed me much this year either I would love to have a good return man that could get up field and have the chance to break one for a touchdown.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:37 AM   #27
jdsdaguy
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6102

i agree about the blocking. no matter whose back there, they're always surrounded by the time they get the ball. that isn't his fault, but it wouldn't hurt for him to actually show his size and strength. a back his size should be able to break a tackle or two or even carry a couple of guys 5 or 6 more yards. i think he's too soft to play for the steelers. if he's cut though, i think it should be because of his poor production on offence and not his lack of return production.
jdsdaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #28
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsdaguy View Post
i agree about the blocking. no matter whose back there, they're always surrounded by the time they get the ball. that isn't his fault, but it wouldn't hurt for him to actually show his size and strength. a back his size should be able to break a tackle or two or even carry a couple of guys 5 or 6 more yards. i think he's too soft to play for the steelers. if he's cut though, i think it should be because of his poor production on offence and not his lack of return production.
Dookie seems to play the return the same way he rushes from scrimmage. He's a big guy with speed (not quickness, right gonzo), but as soon as he gets to the point of attack he slows down and shuffles his feet losing any momentum he might have had. Run fast and stop is not a move. Run fast and cut, or run fast some more. He dosen't hit the hole with any power or intent.

The blocking needs to improve, but as long as they're not turning it over starting at the 20-30...That's fine by me. Although, watching a long return is truely exciting. I wouldn't mind seeing to the Steelers pull one off once in awhile. A blocked punt too for that matter.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #29
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
IMO, that has more to do with Ligashesky's unwillingness/inability to teach proper wedge forming techniques on returns. Watch closely - every time one of our returners catches a kickoff/punt, they are IMMEDIATELY surrounded by 4, 5, or 6 guys wearing different colored jerseys with absolutely no room to run, regardless of who it is - it's almost as if our return units don't even bother to block at all a lot of the time. However, I wouldn't be sad to see Davenport go either, and he can take Ligashesky with him.

bingo!
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #30
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Steelmember is right about Dookie not making a cut at top speed, but I think its just tough for a 250lb guy to do that. Like I said, he isnt hurting us, but probably wont be around next season.

As for Ligashesky, I think he keeps his job because of coverage teams, but a couple times I saw return team guys like Anthony Smith just whiffing at blocks. I dont know the inability to teach a wedge is the be all and end all. There are also strategies of creating lanes. I just think Ligs may have lost some of the players on his team.