Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Talking Rivers whining through his teeth.......

Rivers on Ward: 'What goes around, comes around'

Updated: October 29, 2008, 3:29 PM EST CINCINNATI (AP)

- Speaking out for the first time about the hit that broke his jaw, Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers made it clear Wednesday he's looking forward to his next game against the Pittsburgh Steelers and Hines Ward.

Ward leveled the rookie with a straight-up block on the fourth play of Pittsburgh's 38-10 victory on Oct. 19, leaving Rivers with a broken jaw. Ward wasn't penalized or fined for the block, which came from Rivers' side as he was chasing a ball carrier.

The first-round draft pick from Southern California has his jaw wired shut. He was in the locker room Wednesday and spoke with reporters about the block.

"I mean, I would have done it," he said. "Honestly, whatever. It is what it is. You know, you reap what you sow. That's what happens. What goes around, comes around. We'll see what happens."

If the injury wasn't so severe, Rivers said he would have done everything possible to be back on the field for the rematch in Pittsburgh on Nov. 20.

"If I was able to — if I didn't go on (injured reserve) — I'd do everything in my will," he said. "Shoot some cortisone in my face and I'll go. Whatever."

Reminded that the AFC North teams play twice a year, so he'll have plenty of chances to face Ward again, Rivers responded, "It's all good."

The Steelers and Bengals have a recent history of season-ending hits that left some enmity. Quarterback Carson Palmer — another first-round pick from USC — got his left knee torn up on a low hit by Kimo von Oelhoffen during a 2005 playoff loss to the Steelers. During his rehabilitation, Palmer said he hated the Steelers, but later softened his remarks.

Rivers was the Bengals' second-leading tackler when he got hurt. Initially, he thought the injury was nothing more than a broken tooth.

"I didn't know I broke my jaw until I got the X-rays and they said it was broken in two places," Rivers said.

Rivers said that Ward hasn't called or sent him a text message. The wide receiver initially celebrated the hit on the field, then showed concern when he realized Rivers was hurt. He gave the linebacker a pat on the back as he walked off the field.

Ward sent a text to Bengals receiver Chad Ocho Cinco after the game, asking him to pass along an apology.

"Hines texted me that night when they got back to Pittsburgh to deliver the message to Keith about him being sorry about the hit," Ocho Cinco said Wednesday. "Again, he was just playing football. He didn't mean to be cheap at all. That's the way Hines has always played the game. He just wanted to send his apology and he was sorry."

Rivers wore a USC stocking cap, a long-sleeve T-shirt and black Bengals shorts on Wednesday. Wires span the top and bottom rows of his teeth, which are clamped tight. He makes an effort to be understood even though he can't move his mouth.

Asked if it hurts to talk, he said, "Sometimes. There are times I don't feel like talking anymore."

Rivers will have the jaw wired for seven more weeks. It will be a couple months beyond that before he can resume a full diet. For now, he's limited to nutrition drinks, shakes and soup. He has already lost 12 pounds.

It's the first time that Rivers has suffered a season-ending injury. A pulled hamstring during his sophomore season at USC was his worst injury to this point.

"I'm just mad," he said. "I've lost a season. Your career is short, and I've already lost one year. It's really depressing and disappointing."

Also check out the Fox News Poll and vote on whether Hines is a dirty player.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...,-comes-around'
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
HereWeGoSteelers219
Starter

Member Number: 9324
Default Re: Rivers whining through his teeth.......

I don't really see how he is whining. He never called Hines a dirty player or anything and he said he would've done the same thing.
HereWeGoSteelers219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Thumbs down Re: Rivers whining through his teeth.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGoSteelers219 View Post
I don't really see how he is whining. He never called Hines a dirty player or anything and he said he would've done the same thing.
Quote:
You know, you reap what you sow. That's what happens. What goes around, comes around. We'll see what happens."
Quote:
If the injury wasn't so severe, Rivers said he would have done everything possible to be back on the field for the rematch in Pittsburgh on Nov. 20.

"If I was able to — if I didn't go on (injured reserve) — I'd do everything in my will," he said. "Shoot some cortisone in my face and I'll go. Whatever."

Reminded that the AFC North teams play twice a year, so he'll have plenty of chances to face Ward again, Rivers responded, "It's all good."

I haven't heard Mendenhall or anyone else on the Steelers pissing and moaning about Mendenhall's lost season.

The Bengals should be worrying about winning a game this season before they start threatening other teams.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
Old 10-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

I love it. They haven't even met again, and Hines is already in his head!

These are the intangibles that cannot be measured by statistics, and unfortunately will not be taken into account when it's time for Ward to be voted into the HOF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,315 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Ahh, he didn't say anything. He's bitter about it and ya can't really blame him. He's sitting at home, can't eat real food and will probably lose a lot of weight. It sucks. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Hines did something for him at some point.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

Much like the rest of the Bungles and their fans, he comes across like a little b !tch.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankus_Maximus View Post
Much like the rest of the Bungles and their fans, he comes across like a little b !tch.
Oh please, you guys rant about karma everytime Wilfork forgets to recycle.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,015 Posts

wilfork and ray lewis are next on hines list...
Old 10-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Somebody is going to pay for taking out Mendenhall.

But you won't hear the Steelers talking about it.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Well, I don't think Wilfork has killed anybody yet so he should be last.