Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,194 Times in 3,490 Posts
Default Conservatives plan secret post-election strategy session

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonath...n.html?showall

Quote:
Two days after next week's election, top conservatives will gather at the Virginia weekend home of one of the movement's most prominent members to begin a conversation about their role in the GOP and how best to revive a party that may be out of power at both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue next year.

The meeting will include a "who's who of conservative leaders -- economic, national security and social," said one attendee, who shared initial word of the secret session only on the basis of anonymity and with some details about the host and location redacted.

The decision to waste no time in plotting their moves in the post-Bush era reflects the widely-held view among many on the right, and elsewhere, that the GOP is heading toward major losses next week.

One of the topics of discussion will be how to fashion a "national grassroots political and policy coalition similar to the out Reagan years," said the attendee, a reference to the development of the so-called New Right apparatus following Jimmy Carter's 1976 victory and Reagan's election four years later.

"There's a sense that the Republican Party is broken, but the conservative movement is not," said this source, suggesting that it was the betrayal of some conservative principles by Bush and congressional leaders that led to the party's decline.

But, this source emphasized, the meeting will be held regardless of the outcome of the presidential race. "This is going on if McCain wins, loses or has a recount -- we're not planning for the loss of John McCain."

Either way, Sarah Palin will be a central part of discussion. If the Arizona senator wins, the discussion will feature much talk of, "How do we work with this administration?" said the attendee, an acknowledgement that conservatives won't always have a reliable ally in the Oval Office.

Under this scenario, Palin would be seen as their conduit to power. “She would be the conservative in the White House,” is how the source put it.

Should McCain lose next Tuesday, the conversation will include who to groom as the next generation of conservative leaders – a list that will feature Palin at or near the top.
(long article) i was gonna offer some commentary but alot of great posts after the blog beat me to it.... good stuff. "aint this about 2 months too late?"

anyways it seems the GOP is gonna build up relatively inexperienced sarah as the "hail Mary, full of grace" saviour of the party, much in the same way obama has been groomed in the past few years.

my question is, how many here (and everywhere) that have constantly and repeatedly quoted his lack of experience, gonna completely flip-flop on their hardlined stance, and be supporting palin in '12?

btw, i thought this post deserved highlighting-

Quote:
Call me a crazy optimist, but as a lifelong Independent with many conservative leanings, let me enlighten you on the way to win the middle. 1) Take your party back from the religious right--they're a small portion of the folks you need to have to get elected, and they're not likely to vote Democratic anyway; 2) Learn to run a campaign that doesn't rely upon the personal villification of the opponent, but instead makes rational contrasts of policies (and no disengenuous 'commie hunting'; 3) Assume that your likely electorate has an IQ higher than the temperature in Wasilla; 4) Accept that 'regular' people in most of the US don't wake up in the middle of the night worried about capital gains taxes; 5)Recognize that when hard-working people are hurting because they've lost their jobs, their healthcare, their business, or their home, they'd like their government to help them reach a solution, not give more to the people who aren't hurting so much. You don't have to call it 'spreading the wealth,' you can maybe call it representing the majority. Maybe it'll catch on.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,208 Times in 2,563 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Conservatives plan secret post-election strategy session

There will be a fight for the party. There will be the Palin, anti-intellectual, Christian coalition faction against the Conservative Movement faithful who would rather lose an election to purify the party back to the core than continue selling out to any other ideology.

I say this as an outsider to the party, as some may have noticed....

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:05 AM   #3
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
I say this as an outsider to the party, as some may have noticed....
WHAT????!!!?!?!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Palin already had a ton more executive experience than Obama before even this election. She'll have even more for the next election...
Old 10-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
my question is, how many here (and everywhere) that have constantly and repeatedly quoted his lack of experience, gonna completely flip-flop on their hardlined stance, and be supporting palin in '12?
To be honest with you, if McCain doesn't win this election and she is the 2012 candidate, it would be difficult to cast a vote. But with that being said it would also depend on who she was running against. If it's Obama I would have to take into consideration what he's done for this country.

But I'll ask you the same question a little differently. If Obama wins and he makes a major mud hole of this country and Palin is running against him, how many would see her inexperience as a necessary change in government (ala Obama today)?

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Let's just put it this way - if Palin runs and wins the R nomination in 2012, I will not be voting R.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I should clarify: I'm not a Palin fan, and while I wouldn't dismiss voting for her out-of-hand (Lord knows what shape we might be in after 4 of Obama), she would NOT be my first choice. There are still many, many, MANY potential GOP candidates better suited than her.

But she IS still more qualified, currently, than Obama.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

If McCain loses, which I'm not convinced of yet, then the fight for the right will be between the very conservative religious like Palin and Jindle from MO and on the other side will be the more socially liberal like Romney and Guilliani.

The GOP will have to make a choice between going with the far right religious or the more socially liberal republicans.

However, if Obama wins, I have a feeling that the ground swell on the Far Right Religious side of the GOP will be like nothing we have seen in a very long time. The Party may have no choice but to go the Palin Jindle route simply because of a surging tide of church goers and new found relgious folks jumping onto the Right side of issues.

Especially if Obama tries to pass some of his most socially liberal policies like the resinding of the Don't Ask Don't Tell Policy, The Repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act, and the Freedom of Choice act.

Those 3 things could get more people going against the Dems more than any thing else.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,194 Times in 3,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Palin already had a ton more executive experience than Obama before even this election. She'll have even more for the next election...
lol. that and a dollar will buy her a cup of coffee. seriously? a TON more? youre not counting being president of the PTA and when she was president of her student council in high school or something are you? mayor of wasilla?

yeah, yeah, yeah, weve all heard it.... sarah has more executive experience than obama, biden, and mccain put together.

bush, cheney, and rummy, had a ton of it too, and look how bad they screwed things up.

speaking of blogs lets look at it spun in a different direction-

Quote:
On the McCain Report, Michael Goldfarb writes that Sarah Palin "has more executive experience than Barack Obama and Joe Biden put together", a point that, by some strange coincidence, has popped up all over the conservative blogs. I think that the idea that Palin has an advantage over Obama in this area is completely wrong.

When this campaign started, one of my biggest questions about Barack Obama was whether he would be any good at managing things. The President is, after all, the head of a very large organization, and he had better either have good management skills or hire a chief of staff who does. The fact that I didn't know whether Obama had them didn't prevent me from voting for him -- none of the other candidates I might have supported had a track record in management either -- but I would have been happier had I known whether Obama was any good at running things.

I don't have that problem any more. Obama has spent the past year and a half running a large organization -- as of last December, it had "about 500 employees and a budget of $100 million" -- and running it very well. It's not just that he and his team beat the Clinton campaign, which started out with enormous advantages. It's not even that he often did so by building effective political machines from scratch in states in which Clinton had locked down the political establishment. It's that every account of the Obama campaign that I've read makes it clear that he has done an outstanding job of constructing and running a political organization. For instance, this account of Obama's campaign is very much worth reading, if you want to get a sense of how he runs things:

Quote:
"The story of how Obama assembled his top advisers and how he got them to work together as a team offers a glimpse into his approach as a chief executive who manages an organization of nearly 1,000 employees. Obama has built "an amazingly strong machine," says Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, president of the Chief Executive Leadership Institute at the Yale School of Management. "People expected a more ad hoc, impromptu, entrepreneurial feel to it. It has been more of a well-orchestrated symphony than the jazz combo we expected."

Indeed, in merging the talents of powerful Washington insiders and outside-the-Beltway insurgents, Obama has succeeded at a task that has traditionally eluded Democratic candidates: forging an experienced inner circle who set aside their differences and put the candidate first. "The whole point is that it's not about any of these guys," says longtime GOP strategist Frank Luntz. "They feel blessed. They see it as how lucky they are to be working for this man, at this time, in this election. This is the dream team for the dream candidate. I waited all my life for a Republican Barack Obama. Now he shows up, and he's a Democrat.""

You can find more good descriptions of the Obama campaign here and here.
http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsid...ive-exper.html

i wonder what jeffery sonnenfeld and frank luntz would say about palins executive leadership?
Old 10-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Candidates don't run their own campaigns...not even close. But that's a nice retort. Obama selected a few key individuals, and they ran the campaign. They did two things correctly:

Internet (especially as a grass roots tool)- They used it better than it has been before, but that comes as a result of assembling younger, "more hip" campaign managers.

Money- He didn't take public financing. He's able to outspend McCain by a wide margin.

And if Obama loses given these advantages, that means his campaign was an abject failure.

Sorry, running a a government as the executive is just a microcosm at each level, and she's scaled up once already, from mayor to governor. The legislative is a different animal altogether. Apples to apples, she's got more experience.