Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-30-2008, 03:27 AM   #1
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Safety is slighted by lack of playing time

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08304/923970-66.stm

Quote:
Thursday, October 30, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Anthony Smith feels slighted. He started 10 games last season after illness struck down free safety Ryan Clark, and he wonders why he likely won't get the job this week.

"Yeah, I'm frustrated," Smith said yesterday. "Playing all those games last year and not getting a chance to contribute, yeah, it's very frustrating."

Clark won't play when the Steelers take on the Redskins in Washington Monday night because of a dislocated shoulder. His season ended after seven games last year after his blood reacted to the high altitude in Denver and his spleen ultimately was removed because of it. Clark has sickle cell trait.

Smith started the next eight games at free safety but was benched in favor of Ty Carter after he allowed one too many deep touchdown passes. He returned to start when Carter replaced an injured Troy Polamalu at free safety, then Smith earned a technical start in the playoff against Jacksonville.

It became obvious that Smith fell out of favor with the coaching staff then, and it was confirmed when he opened this season on the inactive list. He has been relegated to special teams play this season while Carter plays in situation defenses and replaced the injured Clark against New York.

Tomlin said Tuesday that "at this point" Carter will start Monday but that Smith will get a chance to change his mind in practice this week.
"I hope we get a chance to battle it out in practice and they make their decision off of that," Smith said. "Hopefully, that's what it is."

Smith said, "I honestly don't know who's making the decision for me not to be playing."

"You would like to know, but it's just something you can't let hold you back and distract you from going out and performing every week."

Wait and see
Halfback Willie Parker went through a full practice yesterday, but after the experiences of the past two weeks, he wants to see how his left knee reacts before talking about a comeback.

Parker was expected to return to play Oct. 19 but re-injured his MCL in practice that week. He practiced last week but the knee did not respond favorably. He has not played since his injury Sept. 21 in Philadelphia.

"I'll take it day by day," Parker said. "Every time I think I feel good it turns out I don't really feel that good."

Distractions, distractions
Among Ben Roethlisberger's stated concerns about playing the Washington Redskins is their cheerleaders.

That's what he said, anyway.

"I'm not a big fan of playing there because it is loud, they're really good at home and they try to make their cheerleaders stretch in our tunnel before we come out of the locker room. That's just not good," Roethlisberger said yesterday.

The practice by the Redskins cheerleaders was so legendary around the league that when commissioner Roger Goodell sent out a memo to all teams last year banning the practice some dubbed the "Redskins Rule."

"The couple of preseason games I've played down there, we've seen it," Roethlisberger said.

And it's a distraction?

"It can be, let's be truthful. They've done it before. I've heard a rumor that they're not allowed to do it anymore."

Quick hits

Safety Ryan Clark revealed that he was fined $5,000 by the NFL for wearing eye black with the No. 21 etched into it Sunday. Clark said he did it to honor his late Redskins teammate Sean Taylor, who was murdered in his Florida home last year. Clark, who wears No. 25, wears a No. 21 practice jersey in honor of Taylor. Clark said he will continue to wear the eye black with "21" in it. ... Add linebacker LaMarr Woodley (calf) to the injury list. He did not practice yesterday, and neither did Marvel Smith (back spasms) nor nose tackle Casey Hampton (toe) among others.

First published on October 30, 2008 at 12:00 am
It looks like Tomlin is really testing Anthony SMith to see what he is really made of off the field before he truly tests him on the field as a starter.

I like Smiths talent but the more I read the more it seems like he has really p*ssed some people off.

Interesting to also see that Ryan Clark will continue to rack up the $5k fine for his tribute to Sean Taylor. Seems to be a lot of steelers starting to show their displeasure with Goodell by ignoring the fines levied.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,760 Times in 1,585 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Safety is slighted by lack of playing time

Goodell is nothing but a prick so what if he wears eye black with no.21 in it whats the big deal.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Sounds like Tomlin feels Anthony Smith is still the little punk he was in training camp (remember when he decked HInes?) and Tomlin doesn't feel comfortable with him on the field. Trust in Tomlin.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Smith needs to talk it on the field, not in the papers.

The skins will surely try and establish the run so we can't afford a FS to be eyeballing the backfield every play and give up the deep ball over his head.

That's what I think the problem is.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

smith needs to start growing up before he can play again.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #6
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
smith needs to start growing up before he can play again.
That article would suggest, at least to me, that he still has a way to go. Damn the kid has talent, if he could just keep his nose out of the backfield on every play. Maturity, instincts and the big hits will follow kid.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
Da Steeler Soprano
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3285

Did Carter learn how to actually run yet?? Cause if not we may be in for a long day of deep balls to Moss.

"If I could live my life over I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
Da Steeler Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Good for Clark to say he is going to keep wearing #21 on him.
Second wow injuries truly are getting bad at this point with Wood missing practice, Clark probably out, Marvel once again this season have back problems, and the safety position is def. hit the hardest.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,278 Times in 2,308 Posts

Quote:
Smith said, "I honestly don't know who's making the decision for me not to be playing."
Um, wouldn't that be the coach. If he can't figure that part out maybe he shouldn't be playing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Smith put himself in this position. You shouldn't have dissed Coach Dad and act a fool. Until you can show to the coaching staff that you've matured, you'll rot on that bench.

Tyrone Carter may have the skillset of a rock, but at least he's smart.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote