Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
cowboykilla
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9604
Default What is the answer?

I'm so frustrated i don't know what to do. Our defense is one of, if not the best in the league. We have one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Running game has fell off with the abscence of Parker,but does about as much as expected. All of our recievers are dangerous. I really believe that if we just had a ''somewhat decent'' offensive line we would right now be undefeated. How can the line be fixed? Can it be fixed? I hope those in the know have a plan,because the time to strike is now. Most of the teams left on or schedule have not lived up to the hype,and are just not playing well. I like our chances even now against them,just imagine if the o-line would step up.
cowboykilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Re: What is the answer?

i think our running game has been a big surprise with memo unlike last year when willie went down. I think Memo adds the threat of big gains via the pass. Which makes me wonder why in the world ar we not trying to set up more screens that would releive some of the pressure on the Oline. And as far as our oline goes it would seem like they have never gotten any chemistry as a group. They will have a good game or 2 and then seem to fall apart. But i think without a dominate center we will not see a good line for a while. honestly we have been spoiled at the center postion since mike webster. and i fear that until we get a center that wil take charge and be dominate the oline will be suffering. I also think the playcaling could help the oline at times it would seem they are dominate run blocking and we go away from the run. And the stupid penalties are killing us. And i really have been scratching my head why when we go into no huddle mode they seem not to have these problems. am imagining this or is it really happening? Anyway GO STEELERS!

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230

Don't forget Jeff Hartings. He was a beast
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

everyone knew during the offseason the one thing that we needed to address was the o-line. And we just didnt do enough. Basically it is the same story as last year our o-line blows. No one from the 08 draft in contributing not knocking Rashard or even Limas but would have been nice to have drafted a solid line men in the first couple of picks who could have made a impact this year. Ben will not last with the pounding he is getting all 16 games. I am surprised he hasnt suffered a serous injury this year.

The answer is: this year bascially we were are going to just to have to gut it out and actually invest an actual high draft pick or some serous dough on an olinemen next season

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

Gotta agree with Verks, the only answer is a high draft pick on a Left tackle. Although they aren't "sexy" picks (ala Mendenhall & Sweed), they are extremely necessary. I've been saying this since the end of last season: Ya can't go anywhere without your hogs.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,871 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by verks36 View Post
No one from the 08 draft in contributing not knocking Rashard or even Limas but would have been nice to have drafted a solid line men in the first couple of picks who could have made a impact this year.
Take a look at the O linemen that were around at the #23 pick and you will see that few are contributing well this season.

Duane Brown is playing, but sucks, Gosder Cherilus was just benched for George Foster, Anthony Collins is on the bench, Brandon Albert is Struggling, Sam Baker is having Back surgery, but 5th rounder Carl Nicks is playing in New Orleans. The only guys that are really stepping in and playing well are Jake Long, Jeff Otah, Ryan Clady ....they were all gone early.

The answer is to not expect rookies to solve your problems on the O line unless you have a top 10 pick. Draft talent in the 2nd and 3rd round and expect them to start by their 2nd or 3rd season.

If we drafted Anthony Collins in the 3rd (instead of Bruce Davis) and Carl Nicks in the 4th(instead of Tony Hills) , they would probably be starting at LG and RT next season.

Steelers could have drafted Ben Grubbs, Justin Blaylock, Ryan Khalil, Joe Staley, Tony Ugoh, Sampson Setele in 2007, but that would mean either Timmons or Woodley would have been passed over. Take your pick.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

my pick is an o-linemen

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

If I hear one more person say there were no Olineman available in the last draft I'm gonna scream.

Trade down and get multiple 2nd and 3rd rounders then. Hows that RB at number one working out? Forget the fact that he's injured .....no one could foresee that. The real point is that we needed OL way more than a RB. And please don't tell me that they weren't going to contribute this year either.....I already know that. Now we can look forward to at least 2 more years of mediocre play from the Oline.

Does anyone really need to ask whats wrong anymore????
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Steelers Since '75
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8308

The problem is Arians as far as I can tell... I haven't seen an offense so loaded with talent and yet underachieve so much. I see no game plan changes after halftime when we are getting killed and I don't see anyone hammering on BB to get rid of the ball. Granted it looks like Arians and BB are on the same page of the playbook... the glamorous long ball. Which would be great if you have an o-line and we do not have a cohesive unit as of yet... not one cohesive enough to give Ben the time he needs to have multiple reads deep. Arians should realize this and have already devised multiple screens, play action, and short dump off passes. Who the hell wants to watch us go sack, short run, sack, punt... when it would be so much more rewarding to dink and dunk down the field. Give me 4-5 yards on each play, whether passing or running and I will be happy... because that equals TD every time. 5 sacks and 10 knockdowns are not offset with a couple of 50 yard bombs to Nate!
Steelers Since '75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I'd say the running game has gotten better in the absence of Parker. It's more consistent, and we've got a guy who can catch now, too.

I don't honestly know if the offensive line is the reason for all our problems. I think we suffer from bouts of stubborn playcalling and just plain bad playcalling, and Ben has been off his game for the better part of month.

I think Ben had so much success improvising over the past couple years that he's trying to do too much. He's gone from brilliant playmaker to stupid risk-taker -- not all the time, mind you, but enough to remind you of Brett Favre. By which I don't mean the MVP, Super Bowl winning Brett Favre of the 1990s, but the inaccurate-throwing, randomly-chuck-the-ball-downfield-in-a-panic Brett Favre of this decade.

I mean, he's still a great quarterback most of the time and I wouldn't trade him for anyone, but he just needs to work on getting back to what made him successful in those situations, not trying to force it.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote