Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-31-2008, 02:39 PM   #11
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080
Default Re: What is the answer?

Teams that are beating us up are teams that took the blueprint from the Philly game. They are sending a lot of blitzes at Ben. Arians has done a piss poor job of getting the ball out of Bens hands quickly. Keep teams honest with the run but throw in the following...

1. Screens (have seen virtually zero this year)

2. Play Action Pass

3. 3 Step drop pass plays.

4. Quick pop passes in slant routes have done well when we utilize them.

5. More quick shots over the middle to Heath Miller the guy is solid money every damn time, yet completely and totally underutilized.

Ben is holding the ball to long but its when Arians is calling for 5 and 7 step drop obvious pass plays or from the shot gun from 3rd and long and teams are coming after him because they know the O-line has more holes in it then a cheese grater.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
If I hear one more person say there were no Olineman available in the last draft I'm gonna scream.
The number of armchair GM's that come in here and say "we should have drafted an O-lineman in the 1st round" ... Has already made me scream. I would like to see somebody pose an alternative solution with actual names of linemen and tell me the names of OT's that were available at the #23 pick and beyond that would be starting this season......please do it.

Trading down from the #23 pick most likely gets you the #30 pick and a teams #62 pick....not multiple 2nd rounders. Again, the only decent linemen at that point might have been Chilo Rachal and Anthony Collins. Neither of which were gonna help this season.

I am all in favor of drafting O linemen. I have been for 3 drafts and stand by my desire to get Collins and Nicks. I posted this in April I see a Tackle being picked and in that case Anthony Collins or Carl Nicks come into play in round 2 or 3.

Lets for arguement sake say the Steelers tried to trade up to get an OT, but there were no other teams willing to trade. You have to take the best player availabe instead of a 3rd rounder like Collins in the first round.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:46 PM   #13
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

It doesn't take anyone remotely qualified to be the GM to see that if you don't draft OL for years on end, you get what you have now.

I didn't suggest we draft down 5 or 6 spots to get one extra pick. We already established there was no one worth a 1st rounder. Whats wrong with trading your number one (Hows Mendenhall working out again????) for multiple 2nd - 3rd round picks?? I don't have any names to give you because you're right...... I'm not the GM... The 2 or 3 Olineman the FO might have chosen could have us on the right track to solve the problem in a year or two. As it stands, I see no light at the end of this tunnel.

What do I know.......I'm just an armchair GM. I'm not nearly as qualified as all the fans who loved the 1-2 punch of Mendenhall and Sweed. Maybe we'll have a decent OL by 2011....assuming we don't load up on fantasy players again next April.

Last edited by rbryan; 10-31-2008 at 05:57 PM.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

quit all this oline BS.. if we dont start nullifying the pass rush by passing to the rb, tight end, or quick passes to receivers, teams are going to continue to blitz the hell out of us because they know we dont have plays to counter it.

i honestly cannot figure out why teams do not blitz us every single play. even if we beat it once or twice, more times than not it results in a sack or a bad pass. the bengals sacked ben what, 7 times in a game last season from bringing blitz after blitz? yet they curiously decide not to blitz much the last game and we killed them.. the eagles brought the house every time and we had no answer for it.

any defensive coordinator we face that does not blitz us more than half the game should be fired immediately following the game. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize that we are probably the worst team in the league against the blitz.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #15
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Lets for arguement sake say the Steelers tried to trade up to get an OT, but there were no other teams willing to trade. You have to take the best player availabe instead of a 3rd rounder like Collins in the first round.
I don't buy into this mentality at all.

If you need eggs and you go to the store with $2 to buy eggs and see a toaster on sale for $2 do you buy the toaster or get the eggs you need? The toaster is a great deal but you already have one! You'll end up with a backup toaster and no eggs. Then you try to get undrafted free agent eggs and you get food poisoning and eat a bunch of Chinese melamine. Is that what you want?

If you need O-line badly and you draft 3rd round O-line value in the first round that's better than getting somthing you don't need. If it were up to me I'd have drafted at least 4 linemen for both O and D line, 2 within the first three rounds.

We need D line and O-line badly and have for the past 3 drafts in my opinion. Your point about no one being likely to produce this year is well taken. That means that next year no one but perhaps Hills will be ready to produce either. I think Hartwig, Kemo and Colon are keepers and the rest are just bodies and backups at this point. The starting D-line is all over 30. Continuing to not address this is an ongoing disaster. How many wide recievers and TE do we need?
Steely McSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:56 AM   #16
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
devilsdancefloor
i think our running game has been a big surprise with memo unlike last year when willie went down.
Agree!

Quote:
I think Memo adds the threat of big gains via the pass. Which makes me wonder why in the world are we not trying to set up more screens that would relieve some of the pressure on the Oline.
Agree!

Quote:
And as far as our oline goes it would seem like they have never gotten any chemistry as a group. They will have a good game or 2 and then seem to fall apart. But i think without a dominate center we will not see a good line for a while.
This is the key to how far we go this year. Everything starts with the line and we were completely embarrassed by two dominant defenses. Assuming we win the division, we have 2 1/2 months to get our oline together. Let's face it, we will likely be playing top shelf defenses in the playoffs and they will most certainly be bringing the house every play knowing that the oline is our achilles tendon..

Quote:
I also think the play calling could help the oline at times it would seem they are dominate run blocking and we go away from the run.
Just my opinion, but again, I completely agree.

Quote:
And i really have been scratching my head why when we go into no huddle mode they seem not to have these problems. am imagining this or is it really happening?
It does seem that way. It is frustrating as a casual fan to see things that appear obvious but don't seem to be reflected in the overall strategy or play calling at times.

I think if we make the right adjustments, and we are healthy, we can hopefully go deep into the playoffs.

Great post.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
It doesn't take anyone remotely qualified to be the GM to see that if you don't draft OL for years on end, you get what you have now.

Rbryan, I agree with you that we needed to start restocking the line talent starting last season, and now this season.

I dont agree that you can imply that Mendenhall and Sweed are busts 7 games into the season. When the #23 pick was on the board Mendenhall made sense. BPA.....I have no problem with that.

They even could have drafted Anthony Collins or Kendall Langford with the 2nd, but by the time it got down to the 3rd and they picked an OLB.....when our first 2 picks the previous season were OLB's????.....that made no sense.

If they picked Collins with the #3 and Nicks with the #4 it would leave this seasons draft to look at a DE with the #1 pick and a center like Luigs or Unger in the 2nd or maybe an OT.

The Steelers could let Smith, Starks, Kemo walk....pickup a vet like Tra Thomas in free agency and next season have looked like . Thomas, Colon, Hartwig, Simmons(Stapleton), Collins. It would be an overhaul, but a young line with backups like Luigs(or Unger), Nicks, Parquet, Essex and a rookie OT for the 2009 season.

I'm not debating we needed to draft O line, but I am not saying that Mendenhall and Sweed were bad picks.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote