Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #21
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Arians' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Preach, do you have a link to this seasons "pass numbers after contact" for 2008 season??

I think a lot of the praise for " passing after contact" and the statistics that the ones that the MNF crew like to mention are "career" stats. Bens first couple years in the league he was pressured and escaped the pocket which resulted in some big plays. Defenses now pressure him outside-in to keep him from rolling outside and getting the big play.

His 23 sacks are plays where his "passing after contact" numbers are zero and I honestly cant remember him making 23 offsetting big plays after getting hit.......maybe 10 plays.

The only positive is that the Redskins only have 10 sacks in 8 games and if they cant pressure Ben like the Jags and Texans.....the Steelers offense has a good chance.
We may be missing each other.... Of course when Ben is sacked... nothing can happen. But Ben is pressured, and is then on the run, he plays real well.

Teams have compensated to try to keep him in the pocket, but then again, our line can't do anything to keep anyone else out of the pocket.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #22
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
We may be missing each other.... Of course when Ben is sacked... nothing can happen. But Ben is pressured, and is then on the run, he plays real well.

Teams have compensated to try to keep him in the pocket, but then again, our line can't do anything to keep anyone else out of the pocket.
I dont agree that its ALL THE O-LINE's FAULT. Like many here post.

When the defense sends more than you can block, then they will get thru and sack or hit the QB......pretty elementary. Especially if the QB holds onto the ball long because nobody is open or he is trying to escape the rush and make a big play.

Ron Jaworski broke down the Eagles 9 sack game and put 3 on the O-line, 3 on the QB's and 3 on the WR/TE's. I think that is closer to the real truth of the matter(I had 4-Oline and 2 WR's).

What Ben and the Steelers need to do is recognize the blitz and make teams pay for gambling and sending blitzers, with quick passes to hot receivers, RB's, Screens, etc. That is all that will stop the blitzes, but Ben is not so much of an accurate, efficient passer instead of a big play QB. BA needs to compensate.

Even if the O line was top 5 in the NFL, they cant stop 6 rushers.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #23
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I dont agree that its ALL THE O-LINE's FAULT. Like many here post.

When the defense sends more than you can block, then they will get thru and sack or hit the QB......pretty elementary. Especially if the QB holds onto the ball long because nobody is open or he is trying to escape the rush and make a big play.

Ron Jaworski broke down the Eagles 9 sack game and put 3 on the O-line, 3 on the QB's and 3 on the WR/TE's. I think that is closer to the real truth of the matter(I had 4-Oline and 2 WR's).

What Ben and the Steelers need to do is recognize the blitz and make teams pay for gambling and sending blitzers, with quick passes to hot receivers, RB's, Screens, etc. That is all that will stop the blitzes, but Ben is not so much of an accurate, efficient passer instead of a big play QB. BA needs to compensate.

Even if the O line was top 5 in the NFL, they cant stop 6 rushers.
How can you not blame the OL. Most of the sacks come on bad picks the from the line itself. Arians can't keep putting Miller and Spaeth in to protect or it would give Ben an even harder time finding an open receiver.

If the line were good this would not be a problem, it would be easy for a FB or RB to pick up any extra rusher, but when they blitz 7 and 4 get through im pretty sure 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 4 times its on the line.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #24
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
How can you not blame the OL. Most of the sacks come on bad picks the from the line itself. Arians can't keep putting Miller and Spaeth in to protect or it would give Ben an even harder time finding an open receiver.

If the line were good this would not be a problem, it would be easy for a FB or RB to pick up any extra rusher, but when they blitz 7 and 4 get through im pretty sure 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 4 times its on the line.
I said I dont place ALL the blame on the O-line. I watch the games and rewatch them the following day normally. It is upon this time that I see breakdowns in technique and communication by the O-line. I also see times where they pickup the blitz and I can count to 5......but the ball has not been thrown.

I probably place 60% of the sacks on the O-line and the other 40% on any combination of defensive coverage, poor receiver recognition of blitz, prolonged play development, or QB not getting rid of the ball.

Commentators, who are ex QB's have said it a few times this season. As a QB, you have to have a mental clock in the face of a blitz and know when to get rid of it. Arians comment is absolutely correct.....when they send one more than you have to block, you leave the guy the furthest away alone and throw it before he gets to the QB.

You are right that if 4 of 7 come free, its bad communication on the O line, but when 6 get picked up and 1 comes free......the majority of fans still blame it on the O line. Ignorance is bliss.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #25
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

After the lines problems the past two seasons, maybe Ben should give up calling protections and just concentrate on throwing the ball. Just putting it out there.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #26
missedgehead
Starter

Member Number: 8622

Well, the o line is part of the problem, no doubt, but our QB HAS to learn to pick up the blitzes better. He needs to recognize when the defense is going to blitz and audible out, and I am sure he is allowed to audible at this point. JMO

Credit: Spongebobglav for both avatar and signature
missedgehead is offline   Reply With Quote