Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Vis
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 8,259
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 834
Thanked 5,969 Times in 2,868 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Dirtiest political ad

I nominate:



The Libby Dole

Dole's desperate turn to Big Lie advertising

Somewhere, Jesse Helms is laughing and clapping in glee.

Posted: Thursday, Oct. 30, 2008
North Carolina knows from sad experience about negative election campaigns and misleading, untruthful advertising. In the 1950 campaign, opponents of the late UNC President Frank Porter Graham used a doctored photo of his wife with a black man to inject race into a Senate campaign and help defeat the revered educator. In 1990, Sen. Jesse Helms used the infamous “white hands” ad, blaming the failure of a white person to get a job on a minority and “a racial quota” to help defeat former Charlotte Mayor Harvey Gantt.

When Helms retired in 2002 and Salisbury native Elizabeth Dole was elected to take his place, voters here breathed a sigh of relief. Surely Dole would not stoop to the racial appeals that marked too many N.C. elections and soured so many people on politics. It just wasn't her way. While she might be every bit as conservative as Helms, her style was not divisive. She did not demonize her opponents.

Until now. In a new TV ad that must have the late Sen. Helms smiling and cheering from the great beyond, the Dole campaign has attacked her opponent, Democratic state Sen. Kay Hagan of Greensboro, as “godless.” Hagan attended a September fundraiser in Boston sponsored by dozens of people and co-hosted by two persons associated with a group called Godless Americans PAC. Dole's ad says Hagan took “godless” money. Hagan's campaign says she did not receive money from the PAC, though she did get money from one of the co-hosts. She has demanded Dole halt the ad.

Hagan's attendance at any fundraiser and acceptance of a contribution is a fair topic for comment. Yet Dole has resorted to the Big Lie technique, morphing a kernel of truth into a monumental fiction.

How so? The Dole campaign stepped across a broad line, portraying Hagan as not Christian and suggesting she does not believe in God. The Dole ad shows a picture of Hagan while a woman's voice, not Hagan's, intones, “There is no God.”

This is indecent. It is the modern-day version of the “white hands” ad, a lie born of Dole's desperation in a race in which she has trailed for weeks. It is also a deliberate attempt by Dole's campaign not just to distort the truth, but to shatter Hagan's admirable record as an elder for more than a decade in Greensboro's First Presbyterian Church, as a Sunday School teacher and a volunteer in her church's fundraising campaigns, worship services and community service programs.

Political campaigns in this state are often hard-fought, with bitter, overwrought accusations that stretch the truth, embellish the facts and attempt to confuse voters. Hagan has hit Dole hard. Dole has hit Hagan hard. That is par for the course.

This ad is something else, an attack on a Christian woman's faith against all evidence to the contrary. It is wrong. It may well backfire on Dole.

It has no place in N.C. politics. Unless she admits this egregious, shameful mistake and acts appropriately, Elizabeth Dole has no place in N.C. politics, either
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Leftoverhard
Team Captain
 
Leftoverhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 808
Member Number: 9337
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Dirtiest political ad

Yeah, that ad wins hands down. Kay Hagen: Godless Sunday school teacher and church elder. Wierd.....At least this is backfiring so loud that campaign is ducking for cover.
__________________
http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9337&dateline=1223313868
Leftoverhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Steel Duck
Bench Warmer
Supporter
 
Steel Duck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 351
Gender: Female
Member Number: 8123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Dirtiest political ad

It's truly too bad that Doles campaign felt compelled to stoop to such a level...I know that I am a democrat.... but I have been a big fan of Liddy's for a number of years...
In fact I wished after Palin was picked, that McCain had chosen Liddy Dole....He would have quite possibly gotten my vote!!!
Again...shame on you Liddy, for not only authorizing this commercial, but for being a part of it...AND now making excuses for it!
__________________
"Polamalu Pain"
Steel Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Leftoverhard
Team Captain
 
Leftoverhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 808
Member Number: 9337
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Dirtiest political ad

I actually thought she was going to be the VP pick. To me the obvious choice for McCain was a woman - but a real old school attack dog like Dole - not Palin, not even close.
__________________
http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9337&dateline=1223313868
Leftoverhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
cubanstogie
Head Coach
 
cubanstogie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,618
Member Number: 3082
Thanks: 35
Thanked 123 Times in 70 Posts
Default Re: Dirtiest political ad

I find it really hard to believe any of you above would have endorsed anyone McCain chose. Pretty amusing listening to you act like you actually might be bipartisan though. Maybe I am just cynical. How dare McCain choose an evil woman with 5 kids and real american values with an 80 to 90 percent approval rating from the state she governs.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
cubanstogie
Head Coach
 
cubanstogie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,618
Member Number: 3082
Thanks: 35
Thanked 123 Times in 70 Posts
Default Re: Dirtiest political ad

Dirty? laughter, the truth hurts. Call a spade a spade. Just like the US wasn't ready for a mormon president in Romney, they are not ready for an Atheist in politics either.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
Steel Duck
Bench Warmer
Supporter
 
Steel Duck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 351
Gender: Female
Member Number: 8123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Dirtiest political ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
I find it really hard to believe any of you above would have endorsed anyone McCain chose. Pretty amusing listening to you act like you actually might be bipartisan though. Maybe I am just cynical. How dare McCain choose an evil woman with 5 kids and real american values with an 80 to 90 percent approval rating from the state she governs.
I don't see anything written in this thread that would cause you to be so vile and hostile.
And YES there are some democrats here who CAN be bi-partisn. Do you want to know when I decided I was going to vote for Obama????? It was 3 weeks after McCain announced his VP candidate. Up to that point I was on the fence. AFTERALL my candidate lost in the primary and honestly I was more than just a little pissed off Obama didn't choose Hillary as his running mate.
I had to put my personal feelings aside....my fears of flawed characteristics...and base my vote ONLY on the issues that are important to me. I had to support the person running who would best represent my beliefs in Washington. THIS WAS NOT AN EASY TASK FOR ME!
Having said all that, I am proud of my decision, and proud that I voted for Obama! (yes I voted early) The last few weeks of the McCain campaign has only nullified my decision....McCain will stop at nothing to win...
My personal opinion about Palin, is that she was choosen because it was thought she could win the election for McCain...She wasn't choosen because she was the best candidate for this country.
Opposite for Obama...he could have choosen Hillary as a running mate..and ya know what? If he had, he would have closed this deal a long time ago....He had 19 million reasons to choose Hillary..and only 1 reason to choose Biden....Biden was the best candidate for our country.
__________________
"Polamalu Pain"
Steel Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
cubanstogie
Head Coach
 
cubanstogie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,618
Member Number: 3082
Thanks: 35
Thanked 123 Times in 70 Posts
Default Re: Dirtiest political ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Duck View Post
I don't see anything written in this thread that would cause you to be so vile and hostile.
And YES there are some democrats here who CAN be bi-partisn. Do you want to know when I decided I was going to vote for Obama????? It was 3 weeks after McCain announced his VP candidate. Up to that point I was on the fence. AFTERALL my candidate lost in the primary and honestly I was more than just a little pissed off Obama didn't choose Hillary as his running mate.
I had to put my personal feelings aside....my fears of flawed characteristics...and base my vote ONLY on the issues that are important to me. I had to support the person running who would best represent my beliefs in Washington. THIS WAS NOT AN EASY TASK FOR ME!
Having said all that, I am proud of my decision, and proud that I voted for Obama! (yes I voted early) The last few weeks of the McCain campaign has only nullified my decision....McCain will stop at nothing to win...
My personal opinion about Palin, is that she was choosen because it was thought she could win the election for McCain...She wasn't choosen because she was the best candidate for this country.
Opposite for Obama...he could have choosen Hillary as a running mate..and ya know what? If he had, he would have closed this deal a long time ago....He had 19 million reasons to choose Hillary..and only 1 reason to choose Biden....Biden was the best candidate for our country.
nothing hostile about it. My opinion and notice i didn't write in BOLD like you did. I even stated it may be cynical. I just don't understand the hatred toward Palin. Its not like she hangs with terrorists, or racists.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
Steel Duck
Bench Warmer
Supporter
 
Steel Duck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 351
Gender: Female
Member Number: 8123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Dirtiest political ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
nothing hostile about it. My opinion and notice i didn't write in BOLD like you did. I even stated it may be cynical. I just don't understand the hatred toward Palin. Its not like she hangs with terrorists, or racists.
For me it's not hating her......It's questioning McCains abilty to surround himself with experienced and intelligent people. She IS afterall a heartbeat away from the presidency, and though it may not matter to you, it matters to me because I have not seen anything in her that would comfort me in the fact that she was ready for that.
__________________
"Polamalu Pain"
Steel Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Leftoverhard
Team Captain
 
Leftoverhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 808
Member Number: 9337
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Dirtiest political ad

stogie..........nevermind. Have a nice day.
__________________
http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9337&dateline=1223313868
Leftoverhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts