Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-31-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default NFLPA: Discipline of Holmes improper

NFLPA: Discipline of Holmes improper
Players union may file grievance against Steelers for 'improper suspension and fine'
Thursday, October 30, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As Santonio Holmes talked yesterday about how he might have made a difference in the Steelers' 21-14 loss to the New York Giants, his union talked about what it called the "improper" discipline imposed on the wide receiver by Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

An NFL Players Association official said the union may file a grievance over the fine Tomlin issued to Holmes along with making him inactive for Sunday's game.

"After speaking with our attorney, we have had discussions with his agent Joel Segal regarding the possibility of filing a grievance against the Steelers improper suspension and fine by the club," the NFLPA's Carl Francis wrote in an e-mail to the Post-Gazette yesterday.

Holmes, in his first public interview since he was charged with possessing a small amount of marijuana last Thursday, would not say if he were upset with being deactivated for the game by Tomlin.

"I can't comment on that question. That's almost a personal question on both sides, so I think I'll leave that question unanswered."

Tomlin would not confirm that he fined Holmes -- the receiver lost no money for being deactivated Sunday. The coach was not bashful, though, about how he felt regarding the union's unhappiness with the disciplinary actions he took.

"I'm not concerned about their view about whether we chose to activate him," Tomlin said. "We've got 53 men on the team. We choose to activate 45 for a particular game. That's what we chose to do and we move forward."

Holmes, the starting split end in his third NFL season, is the second-leading receiver on the team with 22 receptions for 360 yards. Hines Ward is first with 31 catches for 406 yards. With Holmes banished Sunday, Nate Washington moved up to start and rookie Limas Sweed, playing in just his second game, moved up to No. 3.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had his worst day of the season. He completed 13 of 29 passes for 189 yards with one touchdown pass, four interceptions, five sacks and a 38.5 passer rating.

Ward caught three passes for 30 yards, Sweed three for 28 and Washington one for a 65-yard touchdown.

Holmes believes his presence in that game would have made a difference.

"I know I would ... yes, but I wasn't there to help the team," he said.

"Having a young guy in with Sweed filling in and not being on the same page with Ben, not having as many reps throughout practice and not having the experience being in that tough situation, I feel I could have made big progress with the team," Holmes said.

He said watching the Steelers lose to the Giants was "real tough."

"It really hurts, this is my first time ever having to sit down and watch my team play," Holmes said, not counting when he was injured. "It's all personal feelings that can't even be described."

Holmes said he does not care whether some people doubt him now.

"Who cares? I really don't. I'm here to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers and I'm pretty sure all my guys in this locker room believe I'm capable of getting out on the field Monday night and producing for these guys."

Teammates backed him on that.

"Him and I have really come a long way, both on and off the field," Roethlisberger said. "He's a weapon for us and it will be fun to have him back out there."

"I think he definitely regrets what happened," tight end Heath Miller said, "and we don't expect that to happen again so in our mind it's over and done with."

Holmes seemed contrite when he spoke to his teammates Monday, some said. He said he asked Tomlin if he could talk to them and that team union player representative Charlie Batch also suggested it to Holmes.

"He made a mistake," fullback Carey Davis said. "We all understand it's an unfortunate situation what he went through. I know he's hurt more than a lot of people think. He really didn't want to let the team down like that, he didn't want to let himself down.

"Especially since we lost, not being able to help us and be a part of it really hurt him. I expect some big things from him this week."

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: NFLPA: Discipline of Holmes improper

Coach Mike Tomlin: "Bite me."

Seriously, I think Santonio gets it. This is all his agents doing. Besides, we lost the game. We've all been punished enough. I predict Santonio redeems himself with a vengence.

And Ben, (stillers haking head), it's
"he and I". K?
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

The NFLPA should get their head outta their asses, and start speaking up against Goodell and his band of cronies fining every player who dares to tackle or block another.

Leave the teams who actually discipline their players out of your little agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

the possibility of filing a grievance against the Steelers improper suspension and fine by the club?

WTF?

So what is the "proper" way to discipline a player who violates the rules?

Holmes knew what he was doing. Why should he be let off the hook?

Apparently the lacksadaisical way our society punishes criminals is filtering its way into the nfl. It's sad!
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,658 Posts

Quote:
Holmes said he does not care whether some people doubt him now.

"Who cares? I really don't. I'm here to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers and I'm pretty sure all my guys in this locker room believe I'm capable of getting out on the field Monday night and producing for these guys."
proof that the issued apology, was not legit. this sounds like something burress would say.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,308 Posts

Face it........Unions Suck.(for the most part)

Back in the day they served a purpose of making sure employees were not abused and paid slave labour wages, but now they go out of their way to protect the lazy malcontents.

Unions for the most part, fight for "rights" and "priviledges" while sheltering their membership from any "duties" or "resposibilities".
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
bigmaq
Water Boy

Location: Bridles Trails, Kirkland, WA - 10 min bike ride to Bill Gates' office, 5 min Seahawks practice field
Member Number: 5542

To the question regarding whether he was upset and Holmes did not answer, the correct answer should be:

"Yes, of course I am upset, with myself, I let my team down and the coach's deactivating me was completely warranted. Furthermore, I am informing the union of same and I will not lend any support to the filing of a grievance. I am prepared to take my medicine like a man."

That's how he will earn respect from not only his teammates, but, the coaches and the FO.
bigmaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
chucknh
Water Boy

Member Number: 10512
Default Santonio Back?

Hello

How can SH be back so quickly for marijuana charges? Players are being suspended for 4 games for over the counter weight loss pill usage?
chucknh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,658 Posts
Default Re: Santonio Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknh View Post
Hello

How can SH be back so quickly for marijuana charges? Players are being suspended for 4 games for over the counter weight loss pill usage?
he hasn't been suspended by goodell yet. the STEELERS sat him for a game.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
msafford
Starter

Location: Perrysburg, OH (grew up in Lisbon, OH- 50 miles from Pittsburgh)
Member Number: 2447

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Face it........Unions Suck.(for the most part)

Back in the day they served a purpose of making sure employees were not abused and paid slave labour wages, but now they go out of their way to protect the lazy malcontents.

Unions for the most part, fight for "rights" and "priviledges" while sheltering their membership from any "duties" or "resposibilities".
VERY good point. Sadly enough I see this scenario play out concerning my union on an almost daily basis. (protecting the lazy malcontents) What's even sadder is that I'm a teacher.