Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049
Default Re: Hines..

I imagine he'll stay as long as he wants, and will leave on his terms.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
PalmerSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 3520

no he wont play here as long as he wants. this is the steelers you know? who has ever played here as long as they want? its all about the benjamins and player value. what does his contract look like wiht how many years left? if he is scheduled to get paid alot for the next 4-5 years then IMO will be released in 2 years. if his contract is avg and is willign to take a pay cut in a couple years then yes he will retire as a steeler.
PalmerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
steelcity_88
Water Boy

Member Number: 10424

I gotta agree with the above poster. If he wants to pull a Bettis and take a cut to stay with the team, I imagine he would play until he decided to hang it up. But if he wants to go the Joey Porter route, I find it hard to believe some other team wouldn't dish out a ton of money for his name and leadership qualities alone. A year working with the receivers on ANY team in the NFL, he's going to improve those guys around him.
steelcity_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #14
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerSteel View Post
no he wont play here as long as he wants. this is the steelers you know? who has ever played here as long as they want? its all about the benjamins and player value.
How does that make the Steelers different than pretty much any other team, exactly? Besides the odd owner like Jerry Jones who spends money like a drunken sailor (and who really has nothing to show for it as of late), that is. It's a big business and as such, it's ALWAYS about the Benjamins.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #15
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity_88 View Post
I gotta agree with the above poster. If he wants to pull a Bettis and take a cut to stay with the team, I imagine he would play until he decided to hang it up. But if he wants to go the Joey Porter route, I find it hard to believe some other team wouldn't dish out a ton of money for his name and leadership qualities alone. A year working with the receivers on ANY team in the NFL, he's going to improve those guys around him.
He will have to take a paycut b/c I dont believe another team will pay him a ton of money. I see him taking the Bettis route.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #16
PalmerSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
How does that make the Steelers different than pretty much any other team, exactly? Besides the odd owner like Jerry Jones who spends money like a drunken sailor (and who really has nothing to show for it as of late), that is. It's a big business and as such, it's ALWAYS about the Benjamins.

it makes us different because we are very proactive where most teams are reactive pertaining to realizig a player is too old or not worth what they are paying him. i am sure other teams just call us lucky, but that is why we are contenders nearly every year becuase of this because we dont get "burnt" as much as most teams with player value year in and year out. (a few off top of my head - R-el, hope, faneca, woodson, porter, c brown, loyd, franco....)
PalmerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #17
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerSteel View Post
it makes us different because we are very proactive where most teams are reactive pertaining to realizig a player is too old or not worth what they are paying him. i am sure other teams just call us lucky, but that is why we are contenders nearly every year becuase of this because we dont get "burnt" as much as most teams with player value year in and year out. (a few off top of my head - R-el, hope, faneca, woodson, porter, c brown, loyd, franco....)
Agreed - I think a lot of other teams pay for past performance as well, whereas we don't. Thank goodness for that.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote