Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Steelers Experience

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #11
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085
Default Re: Great Black & Gold Turnout at the MNF game!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #12
SportsBog
Water Boy

Member Number: 10540
Default Re: Great Black & Gold Turnout at the MNF game!!!

I'm a reporter from the Washington Post trying to find some Steelers fans who were at the game for a story. My name is Dan Steinberg. If anyone is interested in discussing this, could you email me at steinbergd@washpost.com or call 202-253-6494?

Thanks a lot.
SportsBog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
shovelnose
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3241
Talking Re: Steelers fans in Fed Ex Field

Also this

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/N...303576-ap.html

I love this part.

When the red-eyed Redskins, operating on a few hours sleep, weren't dissecting the plays that went wrong in Monday night's 23-6 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, they were shaking their heads over the horde of visiting fans whose Terrible Towels and disruptive cheers turned the largest stadium in the NFL into Heinz Field South.

"It was definitely a strange environment," centre Casey Rabach said. "We had to go silent count in third-down situations and shotgun situations. Having to do that at home, that's unbelievable. It's the first time we've had to go silent count in our home stadium."
shovelnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365
Default Re: Steelers fans in Fed Ex Field

i was there too, and it was amazing how many steeler fans there were. i was in section 452 and that was jus bout filled with Steeler fans.

and the Redskins post game show was hilariuos blaming the fans for not showing up and letting Steeler fans take the tickets.

one redskin fan went as far to blame Obama for all the Steeler fans for being in the seats.

Great showing tonight from the Steeler fans, it was my first monday night game and first regular season game in 8 or 9 years and its something i wont forget
Old 11-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #15
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Steeler nation at fed-ex field

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs...skins_int.html

So about those terrible towels. Lots of 'em, right? Loud, right?

"We actually went silent count one or two times out there," Chris Samuels said. "I mean, Jason called it so we had to basically obey it."

(Much, much more on this issue here, with better quotes and Casey Rabach explaining why they turned to the silent count.)

Wait, that was the home team? Using a silent count? Because of the noise from fans rallying behind their defense?

"Uh huh," said Pete Kendall, who said that had happened to him elsewhere but admitted he was a tad surprised last night. "I mean, that's not the reputation or the expectation I had of the fans here," he said, "but who am I to begrudge somebody from making a profit by selling their tickets? I'm playing for money, and they're watching, and it's their right to do what they want with their tickets."

How many Steelers fans were there last night? Unclear. A lot. Enough that, after walking from the parking lot to the press box, everyone was talking about it, hours before kickoff. Enough that when Antwaan Randle El ran out before the game, the boos were obvious. Enough that, in the final minutes, when Pittsburgh got an interception, a writer who couldn't see the play guessed that something bad must have happened to Washington, judging by the roar of the crowd.

My original guess was 15 percent, but I was mocked for going too low. Was it 20 percent? Was it 25 percent? Some writers guessed as high as 30, and the Washington Times went with 33 percent, although I still say that's way too high. Your guess on the percentage?

And as long as I'm asking questions, why does this happen? Why does it happen with Penguins games? Do Pittsburgh fans have more money? More passion? Fewer outside interests? Fewer job responsibilities? If a Redskins fan isn't going to hold on to his tickets when his team is 6-2 and playing a home Monday Night Football game for the first time in six or seven years, exactly when is he going to hold onto his tickets? Or is this just an inevitable part of playing Pittsburgh? Here's what Cincy columnist Paul Daugherty wrote after a Bengals game this year:

Nobody wearing a POLAMALU jersey had to worry about getting his face smashed in. The black-and-gold-clad visiting home crowd twirled its Terrible Towels for three hours, shooting a figurative middle finger at the Bengals fans, as they have the last eight times their team has played at Paul Brown Stadium, all Pittsburgh wins. It's disgusting, really, but what else is new?
So, is this exaggerated? Was it a middle finger? Were you embarrassed? Proud?

"You know, I'll be honest with you, it was kind of surprising there were a lot of Steelers fans in the crowd," Jim Zorn said. "It reminded me of the Super Bowl in '05 when they were giving out those yellow towels and stuff like that. I don't think it affected us any, but it was unusual to see so many yellow towels."

"Hey, I watched those little yellow towels up there," Samuels said. "They had a lot of people here. But they're right down the highway. I didn't expect that, but they had a lot of people show up."

"I was surprised to see as many Pittsburgh Steelers fans in our stadium tonight," Jason Campbell said. "You know, there was a LOT of them and I was definitely surprised to see that many of them in our home stadium. But our fans was loud when our defense was out there, they gave us a lot of opportunities, [they were] behind us. And if we could have just kept them in the game so they could feed off it it really could have went in another direction."

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #16
GutterflowerSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1261
Default Re: Steeler nation at fed-ex field

Last night ROCKED!!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs...urnout_di.html

"SOMEBODY let 'em in there ..."
By the end of this morning's open locker room, every Redskins player was being asked about the Pittsburgh fan invasion. You know, the one that prompted Michael Wilbon to write this:

The Steelers left town with a victory, with Roethlisberger also smiling and not seriously hurt, and with the Redskins licking their wounds after what felt like a loss on the road. From the racket made and "Terrible Towels" being waved, Leftwich might have thought he was playing in Pittsburgh, since between 15,000 to 20,000 Steelers fans snapped up tickets and promptly took over FedEx Field in their black road jerseys. It really gets a little tiresome hearing how great Redskins fans are, only to see fans of the Cowboys or Steelers or Eagles commandeer FedEx Field. Really, they're a very average lot, at best.

Ouch. By the way, nothing like watching Redskins fans from the stands turn their backs to the field so they can take cell phone pictures of Wilbon in the press box.

Anyhow, my original estimate of 15 percent Yinzers? Way, way, way off, according to the team.

"50-50," H.B. Blades guessed.

"it sounded like 50-50 from the noise they were making, but maybe 60-40," Fred Smoot said.

"it might have been half, I don't know, it might have been 40-60," Randy Thomas said.

"40?" guessed Casey Rabach. "When I looked at the stands after the game, there wasn't many red, there was a lot of [bleeping] black though."
"I have no clue, but there was a lot of black," Mike Sellers said. "A lot of it."

Rabach said he asked for the silent count in the second quarter, and that he and Jason Campbell used it about a half-dozen times. Why?

"I couldn't [bleepin'] hear him," Rabach said.

And the locker room's opinions on the matter? Well, the players weren't too pleased amused, although none pointed fingers at the Redskins' fan base or anyone else. They seemed more confused than anything.

"Never, never," said Smoot, when asked if he'd ever seen FedEx like that. "We don't do that. I guess maybe the recession, people selling their tickets to Pittsburgh fans? I don't know."

"I'm like are those yellow towels for us or for them?" Santana Moss said. "I really scratched my head about it, because I've never seen it done, especially at FedEx, to have someone come into our home and almost have more fans than we did. You know, you never know what reason. I didn't know if those guys was all from here, but I'm gonna go look for them. I'm going to find every Steelers fan I can find in the D.C. area."

"You expect to have your fans in the stands, not the opponents', right?" Rabach said, when asked whether he was surprised.

"I was just shocked there were so many Steelers fans there," Sellers said.

"It was one of the pointers of the game, like, 'Damn, are we giving away free towels tonight or something?' " Thomas said. "It was something we discussed on the sidelines....For a [rival] team like that to be able to get a hold of tickets? I mean, how can you do that?"

"I'm disappointed," Smoot said. "FedEx has never had that many other teams' fans. I don't know, it kind of shocked me when I seen all those terrible towels. I know Pittsburgh ain't but a couple miles away from here, but we've got to keep them out of our place. I'm not disappointed on the fans, but somebody let 'em in there. It wasn't me and I know it wasn't Dan, so SOMEBODY let 'em in there."

"Pittsburgh brings their fans, and that's good for them, but it was just strange for me seeing it at FedEx," Moss said. "I've never seen anything like it....That's what pissed me off about it, because I'm sitting there saying like, 'We're not away, why are we doing some of the things we're doing?' But you know, that's why we play this game, you know what I'm saying? You've got to be ready for whatever. And they showed us last night that they brung their whole Pittsburgh over here just to help them win that game."

~Sig created by SteelDuck~
GutterflowerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #17
HereWeGoSteelers219
Starter

Member Number: 9324

"And they showed us last night that they brung their whole Pittsburgh over here just to help them win that game."

Does that quote piss anyone else off? He makes it seem like we had to have homefield advantage to whip up on em.

STEELER NATION
HereWeGoSteelers219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #18
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGoSteelers219 View Post
"And they showed us last night that they brung their whole Pittsburgh over here just to help them win that game."

Does that quote piss anyone else off? He makes it seem like we had to have homefield advantage to whip up on em.

STEELER NATION
Probably upsets a lot of Redskins players more than anything else.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #19
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutterflowerSteel View Post
Last night ROCKED!!

Well? Go ahead and brag a little. Tell us how it was.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #20
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Great read. Thanks.

Though, when it comes 2 comparison between the our fans & theirs was like 1:4 on TV. But boy, our fans DO ROCK!!!