Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 11-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,139 Posts
Default Starks, Stapleton, Hartwig's play.

I thought last night that Starks looked like his usual self. Not bad, but he lumbers around in pass protection and gets beat by speed rushers. He couldnt handle the fast guys in 2006 and still cant.

Stapleton again wasnt bad, but more often I saw him getting stood up and pushed backward into offensive backfield, rather than get some kind of forward push. I dont know that he is a long term answer to start over the next few years.

Hartwig seems to handle his business. He is no Webster or Dawson, but seems to be able to move his guy in the run game and move his feet decently in pass blocking.

Sadly, I dont want to rely on Starks or Stapleton to start next season, but have a feeling the Steelers will resign Max and if Simmons isnt back yet.....who else is gonna play RG?? Maybe Colon moves inside and Tony Hills can play RT by then.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Re: Starks, Stapleton, Hartwig's play.

the play that sticks out in my mind the most about the line last night was ben's INT. what the heck was starks thinking knock it down!!!!!!!! It was like he was play dodge ball and was thinking oh god oh ogd dont let it hit me ! I hope tony hill can start next year! i really think the middle of our line is doing a good job it is the edges. One of the reasons why heath miller isnt catching to many balls is beacuse he has to helpo out a tackle! But alas we are 6-2 i wil take it!

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I think Stapleton is an upgrade over Simmons this year. I am fine with him holding the position for a year or two until we can fill it. We have bigger holes to fill right now.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

stapleton hasnt been bad.. we have been getting a lot of nice run plays on his side in particular.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
stapleton hasnt been bad.. we have been getting a lot of nice run plays on his side in particular.
Yep. I think he can grow into the position no problem.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Yep. I think he can grow into the position no problem.
I hope so. But last night he was getting pushed into the backfield in the same manner that Mahan was last season and this past preseason. I'm just letting you guys know, so dont be surprised if he isnt pencilled in at RG next season.

I'm honestly hoping we either find a OT in RD#1 of the draft, or that C Alex Mack of Cal is still on the board when we pick. Mack might be able to step in a start and we then have guys that can play guard like Hartwig, Simmons, Stapleton, Colon (Kemo if extended).
Old 11-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I hope so. But last night he was getting pushed into the backfield in the same manner that Mahan was last season and this past preseason. I'm just letting you guys know, so dont be surprised if he isnt pencilled in at RG next season.

I'm honestly hoping we either find a OT in RD#1 of the draft, or that C Alex Mack of Cal is still on the board when we pick. Mack might be able to step in a start and we then have guys that can play guard like Hartwig, Simmons, Stapleton, Colon (Kemo if extended).
Here's the thing. I would rather like to have Center, and R/L Guard solid, and focus on the tackles this year. However, if we can pick up a good center in the middle rounds, I would be happy, provided we got a tackle in the high rounds and maybe a FA for a Tackle as well.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Here's the thing. I would rather like to have Center, and R/L Guard solid, and focus on the tackles this year. However, if we can pick up a good center in the middle rounds, I would be happy, provided we got a tackle in the high rounds and maybe a FA for a Tackle as well.
I think you will see the Steelers draft both an OT and interior lineman in the first 4 rounds this year. Say we are picking in the 28-32 spot. Most likely that top OT's like Oher, Monroe, Black will be gone unless the Steelers trade up.

They may be in the same situation of needing to take the best athlete available and it may be an interior lineman, or DE. I think any solid O lineman in the first would be a good move....even if its an OG or C. The OT's will likely be Colon and Hills fighting for the RT spot and a free agent LT and rookie pick as the other 2 tackles on the team.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

When the Steelers get the 32nd pick , I don't think we will be in a position to get an "impact" tackle. As proven in past years drafts, we'd be in better position to get the best center/guard available than project a 5-6 value tackle. Drafts can be all about the hype of a player at the time. As an example, we drafted Heath in the late first round because of questions of his health, but he was the best TE available. So far, so good for us. The other side of that is a guy like Branden Albert in last years draft. An interior linemen speculated to transfer to tacle in the NFL, is a very tough transition imo. If he had stayed "under the rader" as an interior linemen, the Steelers may of had a chance to pick him up later in the round, much like Faneca.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
the play that sticks out in my mind the most about the line last night was ben's INT. what the heck was starks thinking knock it down!!!!!!!! It was like he was play dodge ball and was thinking oh god oh ogd dont let it hit me !
I don't know what was going through his head, but he looked like he was going to hit the ground because someone yelled "Look Out!".

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote