Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #31
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The Solution to the Steelers Problems??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
miles away??? dillon said hed rather flip burgers than play for the bengals. instead of calling out whichever pathetic qb they had at the time he called out the WHOLE ORGANIZATION.

dillon got himself benched with the emergence of rudi johnson with a mystery injury that never seemed to heal.

the t.o. situation was one of a pro-bowl calibur wr who was not content to sit back and watch its teams embarras itsself whether it was s.f. falling apart due to cap issues or the eagles embarrasing themselves in the superbowl despite his best efforts.



they are strikingly similar. only difference is that 1 wears a ring and the other doesnt, and one (dillon) immediately got a re-done contract and an extension.
Amazing,

You basically regurgiatated what I said - then used it to justify your comparison to T.O

The Eagles are not the Bengals for goodness sakes - one has been a perennial challenger for the NFC championship for the last 7/8 years - the other has been the laughing stock of the AFC for even longer than that.

McNabb is a quality QB who has made every effort to be the ultimate competitor and team-mate - the Bengals made one comic blunder after another earning themslves the nickname the BUNGLES - no comparison.

You seem to have a weird blindspot with regard to T.O. anyway - I believe you are one the people who believes that T.O would 'never act up' if had to deal with the Steelers lockeroom - you are possibly the only poster who think this.

Oh - another part of your argument I had to laugh at was your definition of the Eagles 'embarrassing themselves' in the SuperBowl - last I remember they lost by 3 points - you probably need to work on your defintion of embarrassment.

Cheers

NM
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #32
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,099
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,464
Thanked 6,142 Times in 2,643 Posts
Default Re: The Solution to the Steelers Problems??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Amazing,

You basically regurgiatated what I said - then used it to justify your comparison to T.O

The Eagles are not the Bengals for goodness sakes - one has been a perennial challenger for the NFC championship for the last 7/8 years - the other has been the laughing stock of the AFC for even longer than that.

McNabb is a quality QB who has made every effort to be the ultimate competitor and team-mate - the Bengals made one comic blunder after another earning themslves the nickname the BUNGLES - no comparison.

You seem to have a weird blindspot with regard to T.O. anyway - I believe you are one the people who believes that T.O would 'never act up' if had to deal with the Steelers lockeroom - you are possibly the only poster who think this.

Oh - another part of your argument I had to laugh at was your definition of the Eagles 'embarrassing themselves' in the SuperBowl - last I remember they lost by 3 points - you probably need to work on your defintion of embarrassment.

Cheers

NM
why should i define embarassement according to YOUR world views? it is a subjective term. i can dress like pippi longstocking for a halloween party and not feel embarrased. you might. i could walk around at a nude beach and not be embarrassed you might. you might not be embarrassed walking around in a patriots jersey from their 1-15 season. i would. im sure mcnabb would admit he was embarrassed throwing 3 int in that game.

the reason i "regurgitated" what you said is because none of your points seperated what dillon did from what t.o. did.

youre the one who said that they were a million miles apart (grossly overexaggerated). i showed, proof, facts, and examples where they are the same. youre trying to tell me that it is not alright for t.o. to call out donovan because he is a really good qb, but its ok for someone like dre bly to do the EXACT same thing to harrington because he sucks? see the double standard?

i think you have blinders on regarding dillon because he is a patriot. fact of the matter is the only difference is that the patriots immediately gave dillon a contract extension and more money (they did right by him in terms of market value and the production he brought to the team. he was rewarded for his efforts regardless of the fact that he had just signed the contract before last season.)

according to your logic one should be able to blast all the sucky refs with no reprecussions but face a fine if they blast a good refs. i dont get how dillon can be so righteous for blasting a shitty team or player and t.o. is villified for blasting a good one.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:46 PM   #33
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The Solution to the Steelers Problems??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
why should i define embarassement according to YOUR world views? it is a subjective term. i can dress like pippi longstocking for a halloween party and not feel embarrased. you might. i could walk around at a nude beach and not be embarrassed you might. you might not be embarrassed walking around in a patriots jersey from their 1-15 season. i would. im sure mcnabb would admit he was embarrassed throwing 3 int in that game.

the reason i "regurgitated" what you said is because none of your points seperated what dillon did from what t.o. did.

youre the one who said that they were a million miles apart (grossly overexaggerated). i showed, proof, facts, and examples where they are the same. youre trying to tell me that it is not alright for t.o. to call out donovan because he is a really good qb, but its ok for someone like dre bly to do the EXACT same thing to harrington because he sucks? see the double standard?

i think you have blinders on regarding dillon because he is a patriot. fact of the matter is the only difference is that the patriots immediately gave dillon a contract extension and more money (they did right by him in terms of market value and the production he brought to the team. he was rewarded for his efforts regardless of the fact that he had just signed the contract before last season.)

according to your logic one should be able to blast all the sucky refs with no reprecussions but face a fine if they blast a good refs. i dont get how dillon can be so righteous for blasting a shitty team or player and t.o. is villified for blasting a good one.
Well Tony,

If you want to define embarrassment as losing the SB by 3 points - then you are welcome to - I find that beyond rational thought - but its a free world.

If you think that the Corey Dillon scenario is almost identical to the T.O fiasco - then, again, you are welcome to your opinion.

I suppose the fact that no-one on this board bar you thinks that is just some sort of of co-incidence - maybe you are right and everyone else is wrong.

Im not sure I can what Dre Bly has to do with all this anyways......

NM
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:07 PM   #34
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter
 
clevestinks's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,326
Member Number: 302
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: The Solution to the Steelers Problems??

Back to the solution!

We need a deep threat for Ben, and a healthy thumb, to put a ring on!
__________________
<b>BLEEDING BLACK & GOLD IN OHIO</b>[
clevestinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #35
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter
 
Suitanim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Posts: 6,086
Gender: Male
Member Number: 591
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: The Solution to the Steelers Problems??

TO played a great game in the Super Bowl, but one must wonder...

Did TO care what team he played for? Did it even enter his mind? Sure, he probably wanted to win the game, but I think TO saw the Super Bowl as a giant platform to show the World just how great TO was and damn everything else. The troubles started, and snowballed, immediately after that game.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:19 PM   #36
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,099
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,464
Thanked 6,142 Times in 2,643 Posts
Default Re: The Solution to the Steelers Problems??

let me spell out the dre bly example (although i think its pretty self explanatory.)

you said there was no comparrison between dillon blasting his organization and t.o. blasting his organization. sounds like the same thing to me. your reasonning was that t.o. blasted a winner and dillon blasted a loser "laughing stock".

morally and ethically there is NO difference. using youre reasonning and argument and logic i can infer that it is ok for bly to throw harrington under the bus cause he sucks and is a laughing stock qb in the nfl but is is not al right for t.o. to do exactly the same thing with donovan because he is great and a team player. again what is the difference? can you not see the double standard you are representing?

you are more hung up on this embarrasement issue rather than addressing the points at hand. the only difference between t.o. and c. dillon is a sb ring and dillon got his extension and payraise. t.o. did not.

you cannot use double standards to prove that the 2 situations are a million miles apart. i have distinctly and precicely shown how they are very, very similar.

1 simple question needs to be answered. what did t.o. do to get him suspended? he publicly spoke out against the orgnization and 1 particular team mate. what did dillon do? publicly spoke out against the organization. whats the difference between blasting a team losing the super bowl and losing the season? both are irrelevant in this argument. after all 1 team is a winner and 31 teams losers after all is said and done, right?

were not talking about apples and oranges here, and im totally staying with in the confines of logic and debate while presenting this argument. i will not buy the double standard that it is ok to publicly blast a sucky team mate or organization but it is totally wrong and worth the penalty of being blackballed by the nfl for blasting a good franchise or team mate. its wrong either way.

as far as t.o. goes im not a huge fan. and i know the steelers would never even consider signing him. but i must play devils advocate because a player with his talents who would fill one of our greatest needs must atleast be looked at. if for nothing else to drive up the price for a team like the patriots who may try to get him on the cheap and seriously upgrade their wr core. of course you will say they would never have it but they did bring in dillon and a player like d. terrell right?

simple fact here: t.o. WILL be playing footbal in the nfl next year.
another simple fact: pittsburgh explored the option of ty law who has been busted with ecstacy and publicly ripped his head coach. just cause they didnt shell out the big bucks for him doesnt mean the steelers didnt consider him for the right price. they did contribute in driving up the price for him though and look where the jets are now. now i will assume you have no idea what t. law has to do with this, and probably be offended when i say......another patriot had character flaws, probably more than any steeler. but he was a WINNER and the steelers gave him a call. again feel free to detach yourself from 1 sentence about embarrasement and address the points that actually matter.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:30 PM   #37
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,099
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,464
Thanked 6,142 Times in 2,643 Posts
Default Re: The Solution to the Steelers Problems??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
TO played a great game in the Super Bowl, but one must wonder...

Did TO care what team he played for? Did it even enter his mind? Sure, he probably wanted to win the game, but I think TO saw the Super Bowl as a giant platform to show the World just how great TO was and damn everything else. The troubles started, and snowballed, immediately after that game.
t.o. will not let himself be defined by a sb win or loss. then again neither will dan marino. and why did the rooneys pass on dan marino? because of rumors and allegations and worries of partying and cocaine use. thats it. i will stand here right now and say marino would have helped the steelers franchise greatly if he had been a steeler thru the 80's and 90's. maybe the rooneys shouldnt open there mind as far as t.o. is concerned but maybe they should loosen up a little. no group of 53 men is gonna have perfect character, but doesnt that appear to be what the front office striving for? alonzo jackson was a PERFECT fit for the steelers cause his character was great. too bad he sucked on the field. (unlike living in the past, i hope you understand what a. jackson has to do with the point i just made)
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:43 PM   #38
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,099
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,464
Thanked 6,142 Times in 2,643 Posts
Default Re: The Solution to the Steelers Problems??

jerry jones and jimmy johnson have both expressed that signing t.o. could work.

the difference between them and the steelers and cowher? multiple sb wins in the last 20 years.

while it appears that im beating the drum that t.o. is the answer to the steelers problems if you look a little deeper i am saying maybe a philosophical change in the front office is in order to fix the steelers problems. which ultimately is the topic of this thread and t.o. just so happens to be the perfect example.

theoretically if a stretch the field wr was the only missing link (which i dont think it is) then the rooneys need to be atleast flexible enough to consider and explore it.

take a chance!

no balls, no glory!

not necessairily with t.o. but sometime please. and firing cowher is not the answer!
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #39
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The Solution to the Steelers Problems??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
let me spell out the dre bly example (although i think its pretty self explanatory.)

you said there was no comparrison between dillon blasting his organization and t.o. blasting his organization. sounds like the same thing to me. your reasonning was that t.o. blasted a winner and dillon blasted a loser "laughing stock".

morally and ethically there is NO difference. using youre reasonning and argument and logic i can infer that it is ok for bly to throw harrington under the bus cause he sucks and is a laughing stock qb in the nfl but is is not al right for t.o. to do exactly the same thing with donovan because he is great and a team player. again what is the difference? can you not see the double standard you are representing?

you are more hung up on this embarrasement issue rather than addressing the points at hand. the only difference between t.o. and c. dillon is a sb ring and dillon got his extension and payraise. t.o. did not.

you cannot use double standards to prove that the 2 situations are a million miles apart. i have distinctly and precicely shown how they are very, very similar.

1 simple question needs to be answered. what did t.o. do to get him suspended? he publicly spoke out against the orgnization and 1 particular team mate. what did dillon do? publicly spoke out against the organization. whats the difference between blasting a team losing the super bowl and losing the season? both are irrelevant in this argument. after all 1 team is a winner and 31 teams losers after all is said and done, right?

were not talking about apples and oranges here, and im totally staying with in the confines of logic and debate while presenting this argument. i will not buy the double standard that it is ok to publicly blast a sucky team mate or organization but it is totally wrong and worth the penalty of being blackballed by the nfl for blasting a good franchise or team mate. its wrong either way.

as far as t.o. goes im not a huge fan. and i know the steelers would never even consider signing him. but i must play devils advocate because a player with his talents who would fill one of our greatest needs must atleast be looked at. if for nothing else to drive up the price for a team like the patriots who may try to get him on the cheap and seriously upgrade their wr core. of course you will say they would never have it but they did bring in dillon and a player like d. terrell right?

simple fact here: t.o. WILL be playing footbal in the nfl next year.
another simple fact: pittsburgh explored the option of ty law who has been busted with ecstacy and publicly ripped his head coach. just cause they didnt shell out the big bucks for him doesnt mean the steelers didnt consider him for the right price. they did contribute in driving up the price for him though and look where the jets are now. now i will assume you have no idea what t. law has to do with this, and probably be offended when i say......another patriot had character flaws, probably more than any steeler. but he was a WINNER and the steelers gave him a call. again feel free to detach yourself from 1 sentence about embarrasement and address the points that actually matter.
Tony,

I still cannot fathom your logic on this subject - you are saying that the Eagles are just as liable for criticism as the Bengals?

How about we use real life examples?

Scenario A

You are employed by a company and you have put your best effort in for a number of years and have proven yourself to be one of the best in your field - but despite all this the companies overall performance is abysmal.

Fed up with the lack of progress and ambition shown by your company you decide to take your talents elsewhere where they will be more effectively utilised - its should be highlighted that you have given this company the best 7 years of your career and have always produced to the best of your ability......thats 7 YEARS continued loyalty to a losing cause.

Scenario B

You are employed by highly regarded company - recently as high as 2nd best in their field and consistently competitive for the last 7/8 years.
This company has taken a risk on employing you due to your past poor behaviour - it sees you as the final piece in its jigsaw to be the best in its field and it rewards you with a very nice fat contract which you accept.
However after a succesful business year, a business year in which you missed some crucial time due to sickness, you decide that you are worth alot more to this company than you originally thought.

You ask for a pay rise and are refused - the company have signed you to a 7 year contract and expect you to honor it.
You then decide to take your situation public and bad mouth everyone at your company - calling your workmates out - effectively labelling them gutless losers.

All this is after just 1 year of employment....yes....ONE LOUSY YEAR.

Also Tony, your cliched response of 1 winner and 31 losers was pure Madden - im pretty sure the Cardinals and the Eagles dont look back on their season and consider themselves in similar situations.....you are utterly delusional if you think so.

If you still dont 'get it' after this post then I give up - you obviously have set up a position and have decided to stick it come what may.

NM
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:03 PM   #40
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,099
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,464
Thanked 6,142 Times in 2,643 Posts
Default Re: The Solution to the Steelers Problems??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Tony,

I still cannot fathom your logic on this subject - you are saying that the Eagles are just as liable for criticism as the Bengals?

How about we use real life examples?

Scenario A

You are employed by a company and you have put your best effort in for a number of years and have proven yourself to be one of the best in your field - but despite all this the companies overall performance is abysmal.

Fed up with the lack of progress and ambition shown by your company you decide to take your talents elsewhere where they will be more effectively utilised - its should be highlighted that you have given this company the best 7 years of your career and have always produced to the best of your ability......thats 7 YEARS continued loyalty to a losing cause.

Scenario B

You are employed by highly regarded company - recently as high as 2nd best in their field and consistently competitive for the last 7/8 years.
This company has taken a risk on employing you due to your past poor behaviour - it sees you as the final piece in its jigsaw to be the best in its field and it rewards you with a very nice fat contract which you accept.
However after a succesful business year, a business year in which you missed some crucial time due to sickness, you decide that you are worth alot more to this company than you originally thought.

You ask for a pay rise and are refused - the company have signed you to a 7 year contract and expect you to honor it.
You then decide to take your situation public and bad mouth everyone at your company - calling your workmates out - effectively labelling them gutless losers.

All this is after just 1 year of employment....yes....ONE LOUSY YEAR.

Also Tony, your cliched response of 1 winner and 31 losers was pure Madden - im pretty sure the Cardinals and the Eagles dont look back on their season and consider themselves in similar situations.....you are utterly delusional if you think so.

If you still dont 'get it' after this post then I give up - you obviously have set up a position and have decided to stick it come what may.

NM
what does corporate america have to do with football player squables?

i get your points and somewhat agree, but what we are discussing is much more philosophical thaqn just football. take this real life scenario.

a scumbag rapes and beats my mother to a pulp but gets off of all charges based on a legality. i go out and put a slug in their head.

a 21 year old crackhead who has knowingly been infecting numerous women with aids robbs a convinience store and kills the clerk.

we will still both be charged with the same count of murder. infact with my premeditation i might face murder 1 while the robbery gone bad faces murder 2.

it doesnt matter that i was a great outstanding citezen and the criminal was scum.

murder is still murder
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts