Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Chat with Pittsburgh Steelers' Byron Leftwich

Chat with Pittsburgh Steelers' Byron Leftwich
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=23474

Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, we continue our series of Insider chats with NFL stars.

We're calling them "Insider Fantasy Top Performers" and here's how it will work: After watching Sunday's games, as well as the Monday Night game, we'll ask some of the day's biggest stars to join us. These chats will be open to all ESPN.com users, but only Insiders are eligible to get their questions answered.

On Tuesday, Pittsburgh Steelers QB Byron Leftwich will stop by to chat about his team's 23-6 win over the Washington Redskins. Leftwich subbed in for the injured Ben Roethlisberger and played a solid second half. Leftwich finished 7 of 10 for 129 yards and one TD pass. After leading only 10-6 at halftime, Leftwich led the Steelers to two second half scores.

In order to ask your question, log in below, or join Insider today! In addition to access to these exclusive chats, Insiders get the most in-depth sports coverage on the web, tools that help them win their fantasy leagues and other great membership benefits.

(Editor's Note: Players participating in Insider chats have been compensated by ESPN.)

Patrick(Hoboken, NJ): Byron, great game last night! I know you have been in Jacksonville and Atlanta, but can you tell me how the culture of football is different in the burgh?

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: It's different. All of the teams that I've played for, none have been the caliber of the Steelers. It's a special place to play. When you're getting ready to play, you see the Franco Harries. It's a special place.

Chaz (WV): Byron..Great game last night. Can you describe how you felt last night playing that impressively in front of all your family and friends?

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: It's always a good feeling any time you have a chance to go home, where you started. It's always good to go back there and play. I got all my family and all my friends and they got to see me live in person.

Sally - NE Louisiana: what is the difference knowing you are gonna start then to come in via an injury?

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: The tough part about it is that when you're a starter, you get the opportunity to practice all the plays you're going to run. When you're a backup you have to watch and see how the plays are run. But you still have to prepare to be the starter.

Brandon (Blacksburg, VA): Byron, I want you to know that I've admired your resolve since watching you be carried by teammates at Marshall just to finish a game. What do you think you need to do to be successful against the Colts if Big Ben can't go?

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: I think we just hav eto do what we always do. You have to protect the football. Go out there and make more plays than the other team. The team that has the least number of turnovers and more big plays will win the game.

J.B. - Dunmoore, PA: how do you compare the Steelers' running game to what you had when you were in Jacksonville?

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: Both teams have great running backs. There are some similarities. In the kinds of plays called, in the mentality of what it takes to run the ball. We're going to run the football no matter what.

Steven (NJ): Hey Byron How did it feel to be back on a football field?

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: It felt great. It felt great to have an opportunity to go out there and play the game I love. Any time I'm out there playing, I'm happy that's what makes it so much fun.

Brad - Helena MT: Tell me you are starting against Indy! I love Ben but he needs to heal up a little bit

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: No, I haven't heard anything. I think they're going through everything right now. I think we'll know more tomorrow.

Mitchell - Houston : Can you describe your time at Marshall?

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: When they say college are the greatest years of your life, I agree. I enjoyed every part of being there. I think every person still misses college. I believe that I do.

Ken (Williamsburg): Hey Byron, it was good to see you playing again yesterday. How's your relationship with Big Ben?

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: Me and Big Ben go way back. We go back to college days when we had a chance to know each other in college. It's been nice.

Jamie (Spokane): Do you have a certain receiver you feel more comfortable or familiar with or do you just try to spread it around?

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: I try to get the ball to the open guy. I try to drop back, follow my reads and get the ball to the open guy. I take what the defense gives me.

Jamie (Spokane): Who can throw the ball farther, you or Ben?

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: Oh, that'd be me.

Patrick(Hoboken): Is the atmosphere in Pittsburgh different then in other cities you have played in?

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: Yeah, it's completely different. Being a part of this, you truly understand what the NFL is all about. We're at home with a packed house. Even when we're on the road. As a player, that motivates you.

James (Jacksonville, FL): Hey Byron, how exciting was it getting the call to play last night in your hometown on MNF? I'm not surprised, we already knew you can still play at a high level, and you still got some love down here in Jacksonville!

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: It's exciting. It's a moment that I've been waiting for awhile. It was real exciting to be out there on Monday Night football.

Patrick(Hoboken): What is your favorite memory from any game you have played?

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: I think my favorite football moment has been my first NFL start. Just having the opportunity to get out there and play. I just remember being out there under center and being so happy that I'm living my dream.

Bob - Billings MT: Great game last night Byron - any chance you stick around in Pgh next season? Ben isn't exactly the healthiest guy around.

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: We'll see. We'll see. I will say that I am happy to be a part of this team. It's just great. I came in and I liked the lockerroom. I like the team. I like the coaching staff. You never know. We'll have to see.

Steven (NJ): Thank you for beating the Redskins you were the MVP.

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: They gave out some gameballs and I believe I got one. I'm not a guy that's into the game balls. It wasn't about me making plays it was about the guys around me making plays.

Jamie (Spokane) : How many fanatasy points can you get me this week if I play you? :)

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: I don't play fantasy football. I don't really know how it goes. One of these days, I'll try to get in a league. I'll try to go out and play well and if someone has me, they'll get a lot of points.

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: I just want to thank everybody for supporting me. I look forward to good things.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Chat with Pittsburgh Steelers' Byron Leftwich

Quote:
Bob - Billings MT: Great game last night Byron - any chance you stick around in Pgh next season? Ben isn't exactly the healthiest guy around.

SportsNation Byron Leftwich: We'll see. We'll see. I will say that I am happy to be a part of this team. It's just great. I came in and I liked the locker room. I like the team. I like the coaching staff. You never know. We'll have to see.
I hope they make him a sweeeeeeet deal he can't refuse! I love Charlie, but we all know he is at the end of his career regardless. I would like to see Charlie back in some coaching spot. He's a great locker room presence.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

I think he's a great fit for the football team. He has certainly impressed me thus far.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
GutterflowerSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
I hope they make him a sweeeeeeet deal he can't refuse! I love Charlie, but we all know he is at the end of his career regardless. I would like to see Charlie back in some coaching spot. He's a great locker room presence.
That would be ideal. He sounds quite impressed and pleasantly surprised with the caliber of the Steelers organization; maybe he'd like to stick around. He has to weigh what's more important: being the starter on a rebuilding football team that's several seasons from becoming legit contenders ... or staying here as the backup and a REAL shot at the Super Bowl. As banged up as Ben gets with his current style of play - Lefty will probably always get to play at some point during the regular season if he stays in the Burgh. I bet he made a lot of friends in the locker room with that big win the other night

~Sig created by SteelDuck~
GutterflowerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i would like to see bryon re-sign with us.. like said above batch has been good 4 us but is old...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
HereWeGoSteelers219
Starter

Member Number: 9324

Theres no way Byron will be back next year. You better believe a team like the 49ers, Vikings, Rams, or Chiefs watched that Monday Night Game. He was playing for the well being of the Steelers but he was also auditioning for a starting gig next year in a way. You can't blame a guy for going somewhere else where he will play.
HereWeGoSteelers219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:06 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,806 Posts

these are quotes from a guy that wants to play....not be a bench warmer.

Quote:
It's always a good feeling any time you have a chance to go home, where you started. It's always good to go back there and play. I got all my family and all my friends and they got to see me live in person.
Quote:
It's exciting. It's a moment that I've been waiting for awhile. It was real exciting to be out there on Monday Night football.
Quote:
I think my favorite football moment has been my first NFL start. Just having the opportunity to get out there and play. I just remember being out there under center and being so happy that I'm living my dream.
this one definetly sounds as though he intends to be a starter in the future. if someone offers him the oppurtunity to compete for a starting job.....he's gone. i respect him for that.....

Quote:
I don't play fantasy football. I don't really know how it goes. One of these days, I'll try to get in a league. I'll try to go out and play well and if someone has me, they'll get a lot of points.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote