Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,185
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 891
Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,613 Posts
Default Re: Line prospects in LSU-Bama game

the merideth guy from south carolina.....not sure where he's projected.

Fifth-year senior offensive lineman who is the incumbent at the left tackle position... has also played right tackle during his career and worked some at guard in the spring... one of the more intelligent as well as one of the strongest players on the team... earned the Harold White GPA Award for the offense in the spring... a veteran who has started 29 games over the past three seasons, second on the club to Kenny McKinley, including 28 consecutive starts heading into the 2008 campaign... has started each of the last 18 games at left tackle... will sit out the first two games of the 2008 campaign due to an NCAA eligibility ruling stemming from his freshman season.

2007: Started all 12 games at left tackle, extending his streak to 28 consecutive starts... named the Outstanding Offensive Lineman in the spring... was an ESPN The Magazine academic All-District selection.

2006: Started all 13 games... started the first seven games at right tackle, then moved to left tackle for the final six contests... given a game ball following the win at Vanderbilt when he switched from right tackle to left tackle after intermission... named the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week for his efforts in helping Carolina knock off 24th-ranked Clemson... the USC offense gained nearly 500 yards of offense against a Tiger defense that had allowed an average of just 250 yards previously... the Gameprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterp rofanityfilters totaled over 400 yards of offense in each of the season's final four games... presented the Andrew Sorensen Scholar-Athlete Award for Football during the spring game.
__________________
“If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” ― James Madison

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson


Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 11-11-2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: new info
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:05 AM   #12
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach
 
Aussie_steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,814
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5037
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Line prospects in LSU-Bama game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
Right now I am trying to look a OTs that I think will be available in the late 3rd or 4th rounds, I have 3 or 4 that I liked earlier. You have any suggestions?
Hey Texasteel. I have seen some lists updated lately and there have been some big changes in the projected rankings for O line prospects.

Check out these sites for some names.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2009OT.php

http://www.newerascouting.com/offens...ckle-rankings/

I like you am confused again about the middle round prospects.
__________________
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter
 
Texasteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,638
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8323
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Line prospects in LSU-Bama game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
Hey Texasteel. I have seen some lists updated lately and there have been some big changes in the projected rankings for O line prospects.

Check out these sites for some names.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2009OT.php

http://www.newerascouting.com/offens...ckle-rankings/

I like you am confused again about the middle round prospects.
Thanks Aussie,

Subject to change of course, I already have Alex Mack penciled in as our 1st pick and Mark Parson as our 3rd, if we get an extra 3 rounder. I would like to see a OT, and a DE with the other 2 picks in between. Fenuki Tupou caught me eye, but need to see more of him. I still stay solid with Alex Boone, and am fasinated be Phil Loadholt size if nothing else.

As far as DE is conserned I am really getting to like Peria Jerry of Old Miss., but I still like Vance Walker of GT, and am starting to look at Evander Hood of Missu.

I think all of these guys may fall in our 2nd and 3rd round spots. Still a lot of work to do.
__________________


Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 AM   #14
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach
 
Aussie_steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,814
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5037
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Line prospects in LSU-Bama game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
Thanks Aussie,

Subject to change of course, I already have Alex Mack penciled in as our 1st pick and Mark Parson as our 3rd, if we get an extra 3 rounder. I would like to see a OT, and a DE with the other 2 picks in between. Fenuki Tupou caught me eye, but need to see more of him. I still stay solid with Alex Boone, and am fasinated be Phil Loadholt size if nothing else.

As far as DE is conserned I am really getting to like Peria Jerry of Old Miss., but I still like Vance Walker of GT, and am starting to look at Evander Hood of Missu.

I think all of these guys may fall in our 2nd and 3rd round spots. Still a lot of work to do.
I am pretty much on the same wavelength as you. I would love Mack in the 1st. CB needs to be addressed in the 2nd or 3rd if possible.

I think it could be interesting to see who would be taken if Tyson Jackson or Fili Moala fall in the second. Both are fine physical specimens but are not performing to previous expectations this year.

Lots of people are starting to talk Hood up as a D line prospect. Has anyone seen him play this year?
__________________
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,303
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 380
Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,162 Posts
Default Re: Line prospects in LSU-Bama game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
am fasinated be Phil Loadholt size if nothing else.

.
Loadholt to me looks more athletic than Jeff Otah did. He kind of reminds me of Jared Gathier, but doesnt show a good punch. Still needs some polish, but I think he can be a gem that some dont like. You never know.

Either way, I am liking the chances of us being able to find a solid OT this draft. I just hope Hills improves in this redshirt year on the bench.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
Hapa
Banned
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 971
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8230
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Line prospects in LSU-Bama game

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Just finished going thru the LSU Alabama game and looking at some of the top line prospects.

Man I love Alabama LT Andre Smith's game. Big man who moves well and uses his arms with a good punch and leg drive to move defenders. Stays with rushers well and just locks down the pass rusher. Also executes a combo block well where he first hits the lineman, then scrapes to the 2nd level to get a LB. I would love if the Steelers got him.

Ciron Black the LT from LSU, seemed less impressive. Kind of an oaf that run blocks well, but doesnt have as good of feet. He seems to like cut blocking a lot when the play is away from him.....which I dont like. I mean, if you are not in the play, either block downfield on the playside or smack the guy in the face in front of you instead of diving at his feet.

Tyson Jackson the DE from LSU was disapointing to me. He stands up right off the snap and gives away leverage. He tries to slap and swim defenders, without initially jarring them with a shot to the chestplate. He looked to stand up and read-react more, than fire off the ball downhill into the OT and then shed him. Might have some measureables, but I dont like his lack of agressiveness and shying away from being physical. Would need some work and maybe an attitude adjustment to fit with the Steelers.
I hate when people cut on the backside of the play. It isn't necessary. Cutting is risky because you're either going to take him out of the play or he's going to jump over you and make the play from the backside- the worst feeling in football.

Have you played football before? You seem to know what you're talking about.
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,303
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 380
Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,162 Posts
Default Re: Line prospects in LSU-Bama game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa View Post
I hate when people cut on the backside of the play. It isn't necessary. Cutting is risky because you're either going to take him out of the play or he's going to jump over you and make the play from the backside- the worst feeling in football.

Have you played football before? You seem to know what you're talking about.
I just like it when players "man up"....especially the men in the trenches. The game is played on your feet, not rolling around. Yeah, I played before, coached before, etc. but it doesnt exactly mean I know what I'm talking about. Its just my opinion.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #18
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,303
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 380
Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,162 Posts
Default Re: Line prospects in LSU-Bama game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
the merideth guy from south carolina.....not sure where he's projected.

Fifth-year senior offensive lineman who is the incumbent at the left tackle position... has also played right tackle during his career and worked some at guard in the spring... one of the more intelligent as well as one of the strongest players on the team... earned the Harold White GPA Award for the offense in the spring... a veteran who has started 29 games over the past three seasons, second on the club to Kenny McKinley, including 28 consecutive starts heading into the 2008 campaign... has started each of the last 18 games at left tackle... will sit out the first two games of the 2008 campaign due to an NCAA eligibility ruling stemming from his freshman season.
.
Watched the S. Carolina game yesterday and they had Merideth Playing guard. He moves well and looks athletic, but didnt show a strong punch in pass protection. He was "catching" more than "delivering a punch" in pass blocking. That and they had him cut blocking a lot. Downfield run blocking is very nice....can get to LB's at 2nd level. Looks like a 3rd or 4th round guy. I like the fact he has a high GPA.....smart guys on the O line are great to have.

Also watched Sam Young at Notre Dame. Looks like a solid RT, but not overly athletic to make me think he can play LT in the NFL, but you never know. If he comes out he might be anywhere from rounds 4-6, but I think he would be best served to stay in college one more year.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:11 AM   #19
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach
 
Aussie_steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,814
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5037
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Line prospects in LSU-Bama game

I saw the Alabama / Miss State game and Andre Smith looked like the real deal.

Who ever is lucky enough to get him will have a franchise left tackle for a long while.

Bama's Antoine Caldwell at center had a good game but he looks a little light on to play center in the NT massive division that is the AFC north
__________________
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #20
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter
 
Texasteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,638
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8323
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Line prospects in LSU-Bama game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
I saw the Alabama / Miss State game and Andre Smith looked like the real deal.

Who ever is lucky enough to get him will have a franchise left tackle for a long while.

Bama's Antoine Caldwell at center had a good game but he looks a little light on to play center in the NT massive division that is the AFC north
You dead right about that Aussie, but Smith will be gone before we get our 1st beer poured.
__________________


Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts