Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-09-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers possess stingy defense

Steelers possess stingy defense
Justin A. Cohn
The Journal Gazette
http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/p...0605/811090460

INDIANAPOLIS – Colts tight end Dallas Clark has watched film of the Pittsburgh defense, and he admitted it was a bit scary.

Not just because he saw a defense that can win games, but also because the Steelers can embarrass other teams.

“If you don’t know what you’re doing, and we’ve seen films of teams who don’t know what they’re doing, that’s what (the Steelers) thrive on,” Clark said. “They thrive on confusion and making big plays, disrupting the normalcy of offenses. If you’re not on (your game), they can make you look bad.”

The Colts (4-4) take on the Steelers (6-2) today at Heinz Field.

“We have to be prepared for any type of look or anything they can bring,” Clark said. “What makes them good is that they can do so many things.”

The Steelers use a 3-4 defense, which the Colts had success against this season in a 31-3 win over the Baltimore Ravens on Oct. 12.

“But Pittsburgh does some things that are unique to them,” Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning said.

And the Steelers have some unique players, like Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu, who has 36 tackles and three interceptions this season.

“(Polamalu) is a very important part of what we do because he has what you can’t coach,” said Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin, who was an assistant under Colts coach Tony Dungy in Tampa Bay. “He has great instincts. He trusts them. He’s a splash playmaker. We need his kind of effort.”

Aside from Polamalu and cornerbacks Ike Taylor and Deshea Townsend, Pittsburgh’s defense is marked by a front seven that can dominate opposing teams. Pittsburgh is giving up an NFL- best 234.1 yards per game and has 32 sacks this season, led by James Harrison’s and LaMarr Woodley’s 10 apiece.

Not good news for Indianapolis, which has had inconsistent play from its offensive line and ranks last in in rushing (70.1 yards per game).

“(The Steelers) have good players. To me, that’s what the key is to their defense,” Manning said. “They have good players and they have an excellent front. That’s what has given people problems up to date is (not) being able to block their defensive line and block their linebackers, and they blitz quite a bit, as well. We talk about trying to protect the quarterback, protect the football and protect the game. That’ll be a goal this week, as well.”

In the last meeting between these teams, a divisional playoff game Jan. 15, 2006, the Steelers won 21-18, and then went on to win the Super Bowl. The Colts haven’t won in Pittsburgh since 1968.

“That’s not something I’m concerned about unless Joe Greene and those guys are playing in this game,” Dungy said. “Then, it would be something we would talk about.”

Instead, the Colts have been talking about keeping Pittsburgh’s defense away from Manning and trying to build on the momentum of last week’s 18-15 victory over the New England Patriots.

“The Steelers are a tough team, very physical, one that’s playing well,” Dungy said. “It’s going to be a big challenge for us.”

("he admitted it was a bit scary": Now this is what I expect of a Steelers D. Back in the 70's opposing teams had nightmares about playing the Steelers. It's good to see that other teams are admitting that they are scared of us. - mesaSteeler)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Steelers possess stingy defense

Be afraid, be very afraid.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Get the Fine Bucket ready because we are going to SMASH IN SOME SKULLS!

Fine for sacking the QB, 10,000.
Seeing the other team's QB with a busted lip and dizzy eyes...Priceless.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Fine for sacking the QB, 10,000.
For this game, it will be more like $20K - Peyton is one of the fair-haired "faces of the league," after all.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Good point. Outside of the Lord God Emperor of the Universe Brady.Peyton is pretty boy face of the NFL. If a Steeler even gives him a dirty look they will be probably be banned for life.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
cowboykilla
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9604

Knock Manning's head off and worry about the fines later. This is Steeler football we are supposed to cause havok and chaos.
cowboykilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
TeeJay
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7083

Them Colts are leaving Heinz Field branded....................with Farriors helmet imbedded in Mannings face!

Ok....that came out wrong..................but you get the idea!
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert. Feb '09 - Hell Yeah, they made the Doughnuts
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote