Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Obama: A bi-partisan uniter?

Quote:
Obama 'to reverse Bush decisions'

Barack Obama - 7/11/2008
Mr Obama's team is scrutinising Mr Bush's executive orders

US President-elect Barack Obama will seek to reverse Bush administration policies when he enters office on 20 January, his transition chief has said.

John Podesta said executive orders by President George W Bush on issues such as stem cell research and oil drilling were at odds with Mr Obama's views.

Plans to pass a raft of last-minute regulations are also being watched.

On Monday Mr Obama and Mr Bush will hold their first meeting since the Democrat's election victory.

Mr Obama, his wife, Michelle, and their two daughters - Malia, 10, and Sasha, seven - will be given a tour of their new home at the White House.

Afterwards the president-elect and Mr Bush are expected to hold what Mr Obama has described as "substantive talks".

'Deliberate haste'

The meeting has been arranged with unusual haste - analysts say this is in part because the US is at war, and also the transition is taking place in the midst of an economic crisis.

Mr Obama has said that dealing with the economy is his top priority, and that he will move with "deliberate haste" to choose his cabinet.

John Podesta
You see the Bush administration even today moving aggressively to do things I think are not in the interest of the country
John Podesta

Speaking on Fox News, Mr Podesta said Mr Obama's team was working hard to "build up that core economic team".

Speaking on Friday in his first news conference as president-elect, Mr Obama said he would seek a constructive approach to the meeting with Mr Bush.

"I'm not going to anticipate problems. I'm going to go in there with a spirit of bipartisanship," he said.

However, reports from Washington suggest Mr Obama's transition team has been working hard to identify issues where executive decisions made by Mr Bush could be quickly repealed by Mr Obama.

The Washington Post reported that transition officials had compiled a list of some 200 executive orders to be considered for repeal.

Mr Podesta said executive orders on stem cell research or drilling in Utah could be easily repealed as no congressional action was needed.

In 2001, Mr Bush issued an executive order limiting federal funding for medical research using human embryo stem cells. The move was popular with moral conservatives but critics say it has hampered US medical research efforts.

BUSH DECISIONS UNDER FIRE
Limited federal funding for medical research using human embryo stem cells
Aid groups receiving US aid barred from counseling women about abortion availability

California barred from imposing minimum standards of vehicle fuel efficiency
Utah land being opened up for oil and gas drilling

Mr Podesta highlighted the Bush administration's attempts to authorise oil and gas drilling in Utah as one order which could be easily repealed.

The Washington Post said other orders affecting environmental legislation and abortion issues were also under consideration.

"[Obama is] a transformational figure, and I think he's going to transform the way government acts as we move forward," Mr Podesta said.

Last-minute concerns

Potential plans for a last-minute rush of executive decisions by the White House were also being watched carefully, Mr Podesta said.

"You see the Bush administration even today moving aggressively to do things I think are not in the interest of the country," he added.

The current administration has proposed a number of regulation changes they hope can be approved before Mr Obama's team moves into the White House.

Critics say many of the proposals would weaken environmental and consumer protection as well as reduce controls on drilling and mining companies.

Bush White House officials deny the plans are being rushed through, while critics suggest the proposals could be difficult for Mr Obama's administration to undo, calling them an "assault on the public".

The co-chair of Mr Obama's transition team, Valerie Jarrett, said the new president was aiming to assemble a diverse, bipartisan cabinet.

"I'm confident his administration will include people from all perspectives," she said.

Mr Bush's chief of staff, Josh Bolten, has pledged a smooth transition.

"If a crisis hits on January 21, they're the ones who are going to have to deal with it. We need to make sure that they're as well prepared as possible," Mr Bolten said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/...08/7718949.stm

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Default Re: Obama: A bi-partisan uniter?

I think it is wonderful that Obama is viewing his meeting with the president as "constructive" and approaching with a "bi-partisan spirit" as he prepares to use his new powers to quickly reverse current policies that are not consistent with his partisan views......

~ 3 Doors Down

Old 11-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

You're only highlighting a few things that they disagree with. I like that they are meeting so early in the game. At least this way, he can look Bush in the eye and say, I will repeal these types of things so don't bother.

This also gives both teams a chance at attempting a smooth transition. I don't really remember how smooth a transition it was between Clinton and Bush...but I am pretty sure there was some hacking and slashing at various executive orders.

It should be expected. The fact that this is going public now is key...because if Bush allows the Oil to start in Utah...a lot of money is going to be spent for nothing when BO overturns it.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I agree. He should have kept his mouth shut. This is counter-intuitive...there's no need to go public with these kinds of decisions until January 20th.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I agree. He should have kept his mouth shut. This is counter-intuitive...there's no need to go public with these kinds of decisions until January 20th.
He's just trying to show all the kool-aid drinkers that he's going to do something quick. Right or wrong he'll make some snap decisions.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
You're only highlighting a few things that they disagree with. I like that they are meeting so early in the game. At least this way, he can look Bush in the eye and say, I will repeal these types of things so don't bother.
Ya, but did you notice the massive list that has apparently already been compiled?

"The Washington Post reported that transition officials had compiled a list of some 200 executive orders to be considered for repeal."

So if someone shows me this is normal to have a list of 200 things to potentially repeal three months before assuming office, then I guess it's business as usual. If he is going to give each one serious consideration and doesn't repeal the vast majority then he may look less partisan. I think this is something worth following and could be an indication of things to come, especially with a liberal majority in the house and senate.

~ 3 Doors Down

Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Yeah, you're gonna have a tough time convincing me that there are 200 things that Bush is doing so horribly wrong that they need to be repealed immediately. This smacks of knee-jerk reaction.

Unles, of course, you're one of the moonbats who actually think that Bush hates this country and is purposefully trying to destroy it.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Ya, but did you notice the massive list that has apparently already been compiled?

"The Washington Post reported that transition officials had compiled a list of some 200 executive orders to be considered for repeal."

So if someone shows me this is normal to have a list of 200 things to potentially repeal three months before assuming office, then I guess it's business as usual. If he is going to give each one serious consideration and doesn't repeal the vast majority then he may look less partisan. I think this is something worth following and could be an indication of things to come, especially with a liberal majority in the house and senate.
I don't know how many executive orders Bush put into play...a number that does need to be looked at. If it's 200...then yes, this is all about the "Big Change" for the sake of change. In that case, then I would disagree with him.

However, you really can't expect them to not look at everything Bush has done and see what needs to be overturned for the sake of cutting costs.

I am guessing that this "200" is probably stretching more than was shown on past practices...but this is the first time the media has gotten so heavily involved.

It seems like they intend to put their fingers into everything possible...I mean, Joe the Plumber was instantly scrutinized far more than was remotely necessary near the end of this election process.

Rev - I'm not one of those "Moonbats" as I am a conservative by nature. I also believe that there are over 500 people to hold personally responisble for the state of this nation...as the President doesn't even come close to running this country on his own. Nice snappy retort anyways.

Is it Knee Jerk...sure looks like that...but we have more access to more information on this election alone than we've probably had in any 5 combine elections prior...and that information flow (however misguided, twited, spun or w/e) is not likely to get any smaller anytime soon. In fact, it's likely only going to get worse...because the instant the goverment decides to put any kind of sanction down, every media outlet in the US will cry fowl and unconstitutional.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Here's how I see this one:

Obama: "Whooppee! Look at me! I'm striking down all of evil George's horrible policies! Run with this AP! Run with this UPI! Show the people all the great anti-George work I can do!"
Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Eh, much ado about nothing. Everyone knew Bush's executive orders on issues like drilling, stem cell research, and family planning aid would be reversed by a Democrat, just like Bush reversed Clinton's orders.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote