Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,078 Posts
Default Any word on Townsend injury??

I read he heard his hamstring "pop". Anbody got any word??

I dont like the prospects of William Gay starting at CB just yet.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Any word on Townsend injury??

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I read he heard his hamstring "pop". Anbody got any word??

I dont like the prospects of William Gay starting at CB just yet.
You know, I have no worries about Gay, what would worry me is Madison as the #3 CB

He's a great special teamer, but as a CB? I dunno
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
BozMan
Starter

Member Number: 3027

What a frustrating, injury-riddled season this is.

When does McFadden come back? We need him now more than ever.
BozMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozMan View Post
What a frustrating, injury-riddled season this is.

When does McFadden come back? We need him now more than ever.
B-Mac could possible play after the Cinci game, but I don't think he'll be ready for another few weeks.

Deshea's injury really sucks...hopefully it's something very minor. Gay has allowed some big catches, and he's no Ike Taylor, but he's serviceable. I agree with Duke, it's the 3rd corner position that might prove to be fatal.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

Our CB is going to be a problem if Deshea is out. Gay is talented, but he doesn't have Deshea's experience and he occasionally gets burned.

If our coverage starts breaking down, teams will start killing us with short passes to get around Woodley/Harrison/Farrior/Timmons/etc . . . (if Woodley is back). We can't afford this many injuries--we saw the first symptoms in the Colts game.

The Chargers have an excellent offense--we need our guys back to play them.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
ts888
Water Boy

Member Number: 10435

this is from Rotoworld and it does not give a further source although the other Steelers news that came out same time cites Pitt Trib Review

"Deshea Townsend (hamstring) has been ruled out for Week 11.
Townsend hurt his hand Sunday, which combined with Bryant McFadden's arm injury left the Steelers' secondary very thin. Philip Rivers should be able to exploit them downfield Sunday."
ts888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Never have been a Townsend fan....Look back at the TD from Peyton to Clark...and you will see Townsend out of position, Farrior realizing Clark is open and running over to compensate.
After the play you can clearly see Farrior and Timmons both turn to Townsend with an obviously frustrated Farrior butting his hands on his hips and giving Townsend a WTF look.

However...I understand that an unexperienced Gay is worrisome... (That sounds dirty)
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

With injuries mounting in the secondary the Steelers were forced to look outside the organization and sign cornerback Fernando Bryant as they prepare to take on the San Diego Chargers this Sunday at Heinz Field.

Bryant, a 10-year veteran, was originally drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1999 and played for them and the Detroit Lions.

“We worked him out a couple of weeks ago and he had a very good workout,” said Tomlin of Bryant. “We wanted to be prepared if injury set in we had a name to go to. It did happen and we were able to get him.

“He is trying to learn in a hurry. I am optimistic about his ability to do that. He is a sharp guy, a veteran football player. He will spend some time with our staff today and tomorrow and practice Wednesday and hopefully help us this weekend.”

Bryant has started 109 games and has recorded 509 tackles and has seven interceptions.

He was signed because injuries will keep both Deshea Townsend and Bryant McFadden on the sidelines this week. Townsend suffered a hamstring injury against the Colts while McFadden is on the road to recovery after suffering a broken arm against the Cincinnati Bengals.

The running game could get a boost with the return of Willie Parker this week. After missing games earlier in the season because of a knee injury, Parker sat out the Colts game with a shoulder injury. It was reported that he had a torn labrum, but both Parker and Tomlin said that is not the case.

“To my knowledge Willie Parker has a shoulder subluxation,” said Tomlin. “That is his understanding of it, mine and the staffs. The shoulder popped out briefly during the Redskins game and popped back into place. Adrenaline, or what have you, didn’t allow him to recognize it during the course of the game. We came in (last) Tuesday and took a look at it. It was painful and sore at that time.”

Parker was at the team’s practice facility this Tuesday to work out and Tomlin is hopeful that he will practice on Wednesday and be ready to play by Sunday, although he will likely have to wear a shoulder harness to protect it.

Offensive tackle Marvel Smith could return to practice this week after missing several weeks with back spasms. Smith has not played since the Jacksonville game and has also missed practice during that time, so he will have to prove he is ready to go before he gets the nod to return to game-action.

“He has to show us quite a bit,” said Tomlin. “He has missed some time. Not only in terms of health, but technically he has to be up to speed. He has to knock the rust off quickly if he is going to play this weekend.”

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley is expected to return to the field this week, but Heath Miller is questionable.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Fernando Bryant huh....

Doesn't sound too bad as a nickle corner

Time to show what you got Gay!!
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

B-Mac and Townsend out against good receivers like Gates and Chambers, time to step and show what you got Gay.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote