Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Big Ben's numbers taking a hit

Big Ben's numbers taking a hit
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The quarterback who finished second only to Tom Brady in passer rating last season trails rookies Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco in that category this year.

The Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger also is behind Matt Cassel, who hadn't started a game at quarterback since high school prior to this season and is 25th in the NFL in passer rating.

Eight interceptions during a span of 10 quarters haven't just made Roethlisberger's passer rating plunge like stocks on Wall Street. They also have made fans skittish about the Steelers' $102 million investment and raised questions about how much the slight shoulder separation that's bothered him since the middle of September is affecting his play.

One thing Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he doesn't question is whether Roethlisberger's confidence has taken a hit because of his recent struggles.

"If you play that position in this league, you have to remain unwavered," Tomlin said after the Steelers' 24-20 loss to the Colts. "I expect him too, and I am sure that he will."

The Colts game appeared to shake Roethlisberger, as two of his three interceptions resulted in 14 points and led to Peyton Manning' game-winning touchdown pass to Dominic Rhodes.

Afterward, an emotional Roethlisberger blamed himself for the loss, but receiver Hines Ward says the team still supports their embattled QB.

"We believe in him," Ward said. "He's our quarterback. I'm going to go out there and do all I can to make his job easier."

The Steelers made it hard for themselves against the Colts by doing virtually nothing on first down. Take away a 41-yard completion from Roethlisberger to Ward off a flea flicker in the second quarter, and the Steelers averaged a paltry 1.6 yards per play on first down.

They also managed just 2.1 yards per carry against a team that entered the game with the NFL's No. 25 run defense.

The Colts managed to shut down the Steelers' running game while not straying from their philosophy of keeping the Steelers' receivers in front of them -- the Ward catch notwithstanding.

And they made a key goal-line stand in the fourth quarter with the game tied, 17-17. The Colts stopped Mewelde Moore twice from the 1-yard line and forced the Steelers to kick a short field goal.

Of the Steelers' third-down run up the middle, Colts coach Tony Dungy said, "Everybody knew what the play was going to be, and we came off and stuffed it."

Play-calling, an inability to pound the ball and struggles at quarterback have all arguably contributed to the Steelers' ranking near the bottom of the NFL in total offense -- behind teams that were considered offensively challenged, like the Ravens and Chiefs, at the beginning of the season.

Righting Roethlisberger is the Steelers' No. 1 priority, though how to do that has been the cause for considerable conjecture.

There's the argument that Tomlin should sit Roethlisberger until he's healthy enough to not only play, but also to practice for a full week, since he seems out of sync.

Tomlin hasn't given any indication that he will take that route, even though the Steelers have a capable backup at quarterback in Byron Leftwich. And Roethlisberger downplayed how much the missed practice time has hurt his timing.

"I don't think it's that big of an issue," Roethlisberger said. "I'm taking mental notes, and I'm seeing everything that is going on, so it's not as tough as it may seem.

"I'm (just) not executing."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_597830.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628
Default Re: Big Ben's numbers taking a hit

I could care less about the numbers. Tomlin should do what's best for the Steelers and if that's playing Leftwich right now then so be it.

There may be something to not practicing and just playing the games. After all,
"We talkin bout practice!"
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

I dont take much stock at bens turnovers this season or the past ten quarters. Fact is he has an injured shoulder and is playing behind arguably the worst offensive line in the league. And lets face it bruce arians is no tom moore
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Steel Duck
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 8123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I dont take much stock at bens turnovers this season or the past ten quarters. Fact is he has an injured shoulder and is playing behind arguably the worst offensive line in the league. And lets face it bruce arians is no tom moore

I LOVE what you said here!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Ben said it best when he said he wasn't executing!!

Well dang Ben if you know then just
GIT 'R DONE

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Big Ben's numbers taking a hit
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The quarterback who finished second only to Tom Brady in passer rating last season trails rookies Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco in that category this year.

The Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger also is behind Matt Cassel, who hadn't started a game at quarterback since high school prior to this season and is 25th in the NFL in passer rating.

Eight interceptions during a span of 10 quarters haven't just made Roethlisberger's passer rating plunge like stocks on Wall Street. They also have made fans skittish about the Steelers' $102 million investment and raised questions about how much the slight shoulder separation that's bothered him since the middle of September is affecting his play.

One thing Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he doesn't question is whether Roethlisberger's confidence has taken a hit because of his recent struggles.

"If you play that position in this league, you have to remain unwavered," Tomlin said after the Steelers' 24-20 loss to the Colts. "I expect him too, and I am sure that he will."

The Colts game appeared to shake Roethlisberger, as two of his three interceptions resulted in 14 points and led to Peyton Manning' game-winning touchdown pass to Dominic Rhodes.

Afterward, an emotional Roethlisberger blamed himself for the loss, but receiver Hines Ward says the team still supports their embattled QB.

"We believe in him," Ward said. "He's our quarterback. I'm going to go out there and do all I can to make his job easier."

The Steelers made it hard for themselves against the Colts by doing virtually nothing on first down. Take away a 41-yard completion from Roethlisberger to Ward off a flea flicker in the second quarter, and the Steelers averaged a paltry 1.6 yards per play on first down.

They also managed just 2.1 yards per carry against a team that entered the game with the NFL's No. 25 run defense.

The Colts managed to shut down the Steelers' running game while not straying from their philosophy of keeping the Steelers' receivers in front of them -- the Ward catch notwithstanding.

And they made a key goal-line stand in the fourth quarter with the game tied, 17-17. The Colts stopped Mewelde Moore twice from the 1-yard line and forced the Steelers to kick a short field goal.

Of the Steelers' third-down run up the middle, Colts coach Tony Dungy said, "Everybody knew what the play was going to be, and we came off and stuffed it."

Play-calling, an inability to pound the ball and struggles at quarterback have all arguably contributed to the Steelers' ranking near the bottom of the NFL in total offense -- behind teams that were considered offensively challenged, like the Ravens and Chiefs, at the beginning of the season.

Righting Roethlisberger is the Steelers' No. 1 priority, though how to do that has been the cause for considerable conjecture.

There's the argument that Tomlin should sit Roethlisberger until he's healthy enough to not only play, but also to practice for a full week, since he seems out of sync.

Tomlin hasn't given any indication that he will take that route, even though the Steelers have a capable backup at quarterback in Byron Leftwich. And Roethlisberger downplayed how much the missed practice time has hurt his timing.

"I don't think it's that big of an issue," Roethlisberger said. "I'm taking mental notes, and I'm seeing everything that is going on, so it's not as tough as it may seem.

"I'm (just) not executing."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_597830.html
Will Hines light a fire under the receiver corps ass this week to make more of an effort to get open and catch the ball?
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
_Steelerette915_
Water Boy

Member Number: 7335

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_WARDen View Post
I could care less about the numbers. Tomlin should do what's best for the Steelers and if that's playing Leftwich right now then so be it.

There may be something to not practicing and just playing the games. After all,
"We talkin bout practice!"
yea its a lil obvious maybe ben's shoulder really is making a differece in the way he plays. that colts game was bullshit. those turn overs cost us that game. hes not as healthy as wed like to think he is, plus our offensive line does not help at all. i think maybe playin leftwich is the right thing to do for the team.
_Steelerette915_ is offline   Reply With Quote