Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers Notebook: Parker, Woodley likely to return

Steelers Notebook: Parker, Woodley likely to return
Miller, Townsend won't play Sunday
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

More Steelers left their injury beds, only to be replaced by others as their red badge of courage season continues.

Halfback Willie Parker will join the walking wounded when he's outfitted with a shoulder harness to protect a torn labrum. Coach Mike Tomlin expects him to rejoin his teammates in practice today and start Sunday against San Diego.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley also will return in all likelihood after missing one game with a calf injury.

"At the latest, we expect him to be on the practice field for us Thursday and get him toward playing this weekend," Tomlin said.

Tight end Heath Miller will miss a second game in a season for the first time in his career with a high ankle sprain, and Deshea Townsend also is out with a severely injured hamstring sustained in the loss Sunday to Indianapolis. Townsend's injury, combined with Bryant McFadden's absence with a broken forearm, prompted the Steelers to call for help yesterday in the form of veteran cornerback Fernando Bryant, a former first-round pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Bryant, 31, was released this year by the New England Patriots. He also played for Detroit after spending time with the Jaguars, who drafted him in 1999. He will compete with Anthony Madison this week to serve as the nickel corner while William Gay moves up to start for Townsend.

"That's to be determined," Tomlin said. "That's why it was important to get him signed and get him in here and start this process that we're taking him through to be ready to play. We'll make that decision later in the week.

"He's a sharp guy. He's a veteran player. He'll spend some time with our staff big-time today and tomorrow and start the practice process and, hopefully, he'll be able to help us this weekend."

The Steelers released rookie linebacker Donovan Woods to make room for Bryant and will sign him to their practice squad today if he clears waivers. They also added rookie safety Ryan Mundy (from Woodland Hills High) to their practice squad and released safety Grant Mason.

A pain in the ... shoulder
There's no suggestion the Steelers have another "Shouldergate" on their hands 30 years after the original cost them a third-round draft choice for wearing shoulder pads in a minicamp.

But they have had the unusual circumstances of losing four players to shoulder injuries this season. It began in the opener when Houston's Mario Williams slightly separated quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's right shoulder when he wrenched the ball out of his hands. Roethlisberger has missed no starts, but he missed half the seventh game of the season in Washington when it was reinjured.

Rookie halfback Rashard Mendenhall was lost for the season with a rare broken shoulder, safety Ryan Clark missed a game with a separated shoulder and Parker has a similar injury to Clark's.

Tomlin said he considers work in the weight room to strengthen shoulders "very important."

"That's why we have a strength coach and weight program and why we have an in-season weight program, not only for [Parker], but for everybody's shoulders in terms of the ability to sustain throughout the season. Lifting and maintaining strength is important."

About the offensive line
Tackle Marvel Smith, who missed the past four games with back issues, will try to practice this week. Even if he does, he might not start.

"He's got to show us quite a bit, he's missed quite a bit of time," Tomlin said. "Not only in terms of health, but technically he's got to be up to speed. He's got to knock the rust off quickly if he's going to play for us this weekend."

Max Starks has replaced him and has "done a solid job, all in all," Tomlin said.

He did not, however, give a ringing endorsement to the offensive line as a whole.

"Collectively, as a group, we're not doing what we need to do, so nobody is performing great."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08317/927138-66.stm
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Steelers Notebook: Parker, Woodley likely to return

its good to hear that woodley will be back.. maybe he can rock rivers a few times all legal of course

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

Great news, woodley is a probowl type of linebacker and parker is a probowl running back even if he is injured right now.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Build up them shoulders!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:12 AM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Halfback Willie Parker will join the walking wounded when he's outfitted with a shoulder harness to protect a torn labrum. Coach Mike Tomlin expects him to rejoin his teammates in practice today and start Sunday against San Diego. Tomlin also said that because he is "the starter," Parker will get every single carry for the whole game even if he is completely ineffective, a tradition that Pittsburgh has held fast to with incredible stubbornness and stupidity in recent years.
There. I fixed the story for you.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Good to see them coming back hopefully Woodley and our deffense can keep rivers on his back the whole game .
Old 11-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #7
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
its good to hear that woodley will be back.. maybe he can rock rivers a few times all legal of course
My thoughts EXACTLY.......and yes all legal....OF COURSE Would LOVE to see Rivers sandwiched between Woodley and Harrison..

Go Steelers!!

Dawn
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230

Yay! The defense is so much better with Woodley :D
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa View Post
Yay! The defense is so much better with Woodley :D
Yes it is! He is one of my fav. players on the team, Harrison being the other.

I only have one Steeler player jersey...it is #43 away one. I want to get a home jersey but I can't decide between Woodley or Harrison

Go Steelers!!

Dawn
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Hoping both players are in good health and able to not be re-injured!