Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-13-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517
Default Folks, this is why we need to buy guns and ammo

This was written last year after the V-Tech Massacre.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=55288

Quote:
VIRGINIA TECH MASSACRE
25 years murder-free
in 'Gun Town USA'
Crime rate plummeted after law
required firearms for residents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: April 19, 2007
1:52 pm Eastern

2008 WorldNetDaily.com

Kennesaw, Ga., City Hall
As the nation debates whether more guns or fewer can prevent tragedies like the Virginia Tech Massacre, a notable anniversary passed last month in a Georgia town that witnessed a dramatic plunge in crime and violence after mandating residents to own firearms.

In March 1982, 25 years ago, the small town of Kennesaw responding to a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Ill. unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun. Since then, despite dire predictions of "Wild West" showdowns and increased violence and accidents, not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting as a victim, attacker or defender.

The crime rate initially plummeted for several years after the passage of the ordinance, with the 2005 per capita crime rate actually significantly lower than it was in 1981, the year before passage of the law.

Prior to enactment of the law, Kennesaw had a population of just 5,242 but a crime rate significantly higher (4,332 per 100,000) than the national average (3,899 per 100,000). The latest statistics available for the year 2005 show the rate at 2,027 per 100,000. Meanwhile, the population has skyrocketed to 28,189.

By comparison, the population of Morton Grove, the first city in Illinois to adopt a gun ban for anyone other than police officers, has actually dropped slightly and stands at 22,202, according to 2005 statistics. More significantly, perhaps, the city's crime rate increased by 15.7 percent immediately after the gun ban, even though the overall crime rate in Cook County rose only 3 percent. Today, by comparison, the township's crime rate stands at 2,268 per 100,000.

This was not what some predicted.

In a column titled "Gun Town USA," Art Buchwald suggested Kennesaw would soon become a place where routine disagreements between neighbors would be settled in shootouts. The Washington Post mocked Kennesaw as "the brave little city soon to be pistol-packing capital of the world." Phil Donahue invited the mayor on his show.

Reuters, the European news service, today revisited the Kennesaw controversy following the Virginia Tech Massacre.

Police Lt. Craig Graydon said: "When the Kennesaw law was passed in 1982 there was a substantial drop in crime and we have maintained a really low crime rate since then. We are sure it is one of the lowest (crime) towns in the metro area." Kennesaw is just north of Atlanta.

The Reuters story went on to report: "Since the Virginia Tech shootings, some conservative U.S. talk show hosts have rejected attempts to link the massacre to the availability of guns, arguing that had students been allowed to carry weapons on campus someone might have been able to shoot the killer."

Virginia Tech, like many of the nation's schools and college campuses, is a so-called "gun-free zone," which Second Amendment supporters say invites gun violence especially from disturbed individuals seeking to kill as many victims as possible.

Cho Seung-Hui murdered 32 and wounded another 15 before turning his gun on himself.
George Washington said, "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."

I think Ol' George knew what he was talking about. With the election of Obama, and his stance on firearms, we could be seeing a serious jeopardy to our freedom.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,425 Times in 1,661 Posts
Default Re: Folks, this is why we need to buy guns and ammo

Between Obama and his drunken side kick, gun owners are in big trouble. Gun control may not be on the top of the list right now but it is on there. I wouldn't put it past him trying to coattail something on banning firearms along the way.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 AM   #3
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

I remember giving a speech on gun control back in speech class. History has shown us that it has never worked, and common sense tells you it never will. A criminal will break the law to obtain a gun, and the law abiding citizen will not and thus have no means of protection. Name one illegal thing that a criminal can't get a hold of.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
I remember giving a speech on gun control back in speech class. History has shown us that it has never worked, and common sense tells you it never will. A criminal will break the law to obtain a gun, and the law abiding citizen will not and thus have no means of protection. Name one illegal thing that a criminal can't get a hold of.
Criminal --- Bengals

One Illegal thing (against the rules, or within the rules even) they will never get -- a Touchdown!

Last edited by Preacher; 11-13-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Criminal --- Bengals

One Illegal thing (against the rules, or within the rules even) they will never get -- a Touchdown!
ZING!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:11 AM   #6
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

I think there is a difference between owning a gun and owning a semi-automatic assault rifle.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
I think there is a difference between owning a gun and owning a semi-automatic assault rifle.
I understand your point. The larger issue though is that in the vast majority of cases, when guns are made illegal, crime increases. simple as that.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #8
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
I understand your point. The larger issue though is that in the vast majority of cases, when guns are made illegal, crime increases. simple as that.

Very true. If the criminal knows that there are no guns or very few guns, it is going to be open season for him/her. I remember a documentary on S. Africa. They basically crippled the ability of the average citizen to buy a gun, and violence skyrocketed.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I work in Kennesaw, GA. "Gun control" has a whole different meaning here.

It's no wonder to me that politiicians want to take away your firearms. If I was as crooked as Joe Biden I'd be afraid of anyone with a gun too.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #10
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

I'm not calling you out in any way rb, just wondering specifically what it is about Biden you feel is crooked and how that relates to gun control. This is a serious question. I know very little about our vice president to be other than that he is an attorney and career politican who has been hired to save the largest economy in the world.....

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote